Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ladbrokes Trophy Chase. Newbury. December 2nd.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Not giving up on the horse. Jockey had a shocker - no need to be right at the back from the start and he used him up to get into contention.
    Who Was riding? Can't surely have been a plan to sit that far back. Was doubt closing in, how much he used to get back to the pack though is anyone's guess.
    Up there with Davy Russels poor ride on Don Poli in the Gold Cup.

Thanks
    Not giving up on the horse. Jockey had a shocker - no need to be right at the back from the start and he used him up to get into contention.
    Wondering what possessed Russell to go for home so far out - brilliant ride by Townend but Russell's lack of restraint cost him the race .

Thanks
    Another excuse provided for Coneygree running badly

Thanks
    I think despite the eccentricities of the Bradstocks one should remember how well the horse ran at Punchestown and how he has recovered from physical issues in the past including to win the Gold Cup . He may well be in steep decline but I would not quite write him off yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Coneygree had his day in the sun for me and will never be quite the same again. I actually gave up on him after his poor performance in the Betfair when beaten by Cue Card.

Tough for those who supported him in his Gold Cup to accept but he's gone for sure..
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Harry Fry eh. Not one to back in big races.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Had a complete and utter wipe out myself thought Whisper has run a cracker unbelievable run.
    That Might Bite must be quite a handy animal.

"Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    Wondering what possessed Russell to go for home so far out - brilliant ride by Townend but Russell's lack of restraint cost him the race .
    What possessed Davy was when he saw PT cantering all over him between the 4th last and the 3rd last.That gave him no choice but to stoke his mount up to keep up with him.

Whisper being a willing partner gave his all and before you could say Jack Frost went ahead..from then on in Davy aware of the danger had no choice but to keep going all out.

Nothing Paul Townsend did was exceptional other than giving the horse a good ride as did Davy on Whisper but the concession of a stone proved to much
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    SFP almost always held up in past races. Wasn't too worried initially and indeed the horse got into contention before falling. Was he tired, I don't know, but I certainly thought 'here we go'. However as The Bear points out his jumping was not as clean as it usually is from fairly early on.
    I'm somewhat deflated at the moment having not had a proper shout for what was my largest bet so far this season but I'm not blaming the jockey..

Thanks
    I think if they'd gone on time he'd have been ok, just had too much ground to make up. It's a downer but there's a decent race in him for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    SFP almost always held up in past races.
    Yes, but those races weren't soft-ground Hennessys. I was anticipating a ride from just the wrong side of midfield. I'll watch it again a few times over the next few days to see if there's anything else worth noting.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I was on Whisper win bet myself and also had a few ew quid on Pilgrims Bay at 66/1 so at least that. Whisper ran a cracker giving the Mullins horse a stone in weight. That 4lb he got for beating Clan Des Obeaux last time out looks costly now.

On the other hand as someone who’s in balls deep on Mite Bite for the King George this was a bitter sweet moment. A fine frank of form indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    SFP was pretty-much all-out behind the principals when he came down. Stamina might have been stretched to breaking-point in that ground.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    SFP was pretty-much all-out behind the principals when he came down. Stamina might have been stretched to breaking-point in that ground.
    The times today suggest the going had good in it probably g/soft ground. Thought Whisper's performance was Gold Cup standard and he proved he has the stamina.
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would agree with that re Whisper.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Harry Fry eh. Not one to back in big races.
    I think next year he might consider prep runs a good idea following Kylemore,Minella and American today all completley failing in big races in recent weeks coming to big races directly and all running completley pap!
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Whisper's performance would be a bit behind that of Native River and while he is hardly likely to improve he deserves his place in the Gold Cup.

If he is in the same form with Mr Russell aboard who knows?
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Whisper's performance would be a bit behind that of Native River
    How do you work that out. Double Ross was less that 6l off the 155 rated winner who barely had 11st on his back. For me Whisper's performance today is a fair bit better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Still not sold on Whisper but would be a bit smugger if holding MB dockets.

in saying that Yorkies form got a good boost recently too.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How do you work that out. Double Ross was less that 6l off the 155 rated winner who barely had 11st on his back. For me Whisper's performance today is a fair bit better.

Was it really? You are making the same mistake the handicapper made back then........Native River went about 6 lengths clear then stopped/idled in front but had loads left in the tank but for which he'd have won a minute.

He then carried 11st12lbs and hacked up in the Welsh Grand National off the same mark which turned out to be way wrong as again he shot 6 lengths clear at the last then did his idling trick again.

IMO Whisper ran to his mark today which is 7lbs below what i reckon Native River really ran to. They did raise him to a 168 when the penny dropped and he went on to run a splendid 3rd in the GC.

I'm a huge Whisper Henderson Russell fan but I can't see him being good enough to compete but as I said earlier with that combination who knows?
    Formely Fist of Fury