Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Showcase Meeting - Cheltenham

Thanks
    There's an outstanding Irish P2P crop from last season. Very much looking forward to Stay Humble.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Good shouts, Grassy
    If McCain is on the way back, some of his horses will be incredibly well handicapped at least in the short term.

Same goes for ex-mcCain inmates elsewhere.

Nice-priced winner, GH. Respect!
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 27th October 2017 at 7:21 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (27th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Myself and member Digger are off on a hospitality jolly at the footy tomorrow, to watch the glorious Hibees (#GGTH #YLT) taken on the slum-dwellers of Motherwell, at the souped-up tin-shed that is Fir Park. I've therefore had to do the Chelts card tonight - suitably abetted by a rather fine Sooth Eefrikaan Cabernet Sauvignon. What follows therefore comes with a health-warning.

Last two races on the card form both the backbone and the get-out stakes.

Robin'Hannon was already on the Tracker before his winning appearance at Worcester, and he strikes me as a good deal more progressive than Callet Mad, who has had a bundle of runs over fences, and seems to have reverted to hurdles as an afterthought. Track, trip and going all perfectly fine, and I expect a bold show. I'll chance Dashing Perk in a forecast. Henderson's Cracking Destiny - an impressive Point-winner, in receipt of weight from two moderate winners, completes the second leg in the Bumper.

Earlier, I will row-in with Singlefarmpayment, who looks a rock-solid proposition in the staying handicap chase that opens the card. He travels, jumps and seems guaranteed to give his running - which isn't something that can be said for too many of the others. Robinsfirth is taken to follow him home. Dull, I know, but there you go.

I like Vaniteux under top-weight in the 2m handicap chase. Has been really highly-tried throughout his career, and this kind of opposition might not even be able to get him off the bridle. The form with Romain De Semain also looks handy, in light of recent events. Ray Tooth will miss-out on a double, having sold Vaniteux, as I think his Thomas Campbell will win the staying handicap hurdle. Dell Arca will make-up the forecast bet.

I have zero interest in the crappy, Defi-less Masterson Hurdle, or the intermediate Novice Chase.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 27th October 2017 at 9:31 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

granger (27th October 2017)

Thanks
    Vaniteux is interesting. I'm a gonna out him in an each way double with Architecture.

Thanks
    I was in the Vaniteux camp too worrying drift though but might be partly down to the non runner reducing the place terms.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Singlefarmpayment just prepping. Looks the instructions were to win if the race went his way otherwise don't mess the horse about.

Immediate impression is that Cogry might have improved again but I'll need to get down to the nuts and bolts of the race. He might have been the only 100% trier.

Thanks
    The 2nd and 4th should be capable of better. The 4th in particular seemed to be given a very quiet ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Singlefarmpayment 16s generally for the Hennessy. I think that test will really suit, he's such a good jumper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    The 2nd and 4th should be capable of better. The 4th in particular seemed to be given a very quiet ride
    Cheers, Viking. I'll have another dekko at that fourth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I think his Thomas Campbell will win the staying handicap hurdle. .
    Spot on, well done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (28th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    I'm sweet on Stick To The Plan in the Pertemps Handicap Hurdle tomorrow with the bottom weight for Dan Skelton. I've put this horse as a dark horse in one of my ten to follow lists. I'm guessing he'd be higher in the ratings had he not unseated last time. I'm chuffed he has just made the cut.

Luccombe Down I remember from last season as an eyecatcher, so not completely ruled out, but no way I would have him over Stick To The Plan, who looks progressive, unexposed, and nicely handicapped.

Betfair were 28/1 on STTP earlier in the week which looks great value now. He'll go off a fair bit shorter than that. He's not banker material, but looks one of the better chances on this card.
    Not a bad performance given the unseating that happened last time. The winner, third, and fourth are good yardsticks. I will be keen to see how the handicapper reacts to today. I haven't given up hope that Stick To The Plan will get some points for me in the competition this year!
    Last edited by Marb; 28th October 2017 at 10:02 PM.