Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Bet Victor Gold Cup

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,023 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done Moe. My Mohaayed each way bet is one I will be disappointed if I can't get a return on. At 12s I'll double my stake money if he places, but a win would be much better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Romain De Senam

Been taken by his two wins this season, still only 5 but already looking like a class act over fences.

Currently 12-1
    Though only 5th, thought he come out of the race with credit as would have preferred better ground
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well that went well.

"Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Couldn't get on yesterday to post my finalised bets. Don't know what went on with the weather. I was discussing with I think Euro that it was a shame they hadn't had a bit of rain to help Kylemore loughs chance. I later saw somebody say there was rain forecast so I checked Met office and BBC forecast which said overcast but dry. I placed all my bets on the morning then when I tuned into ITV to see the first race I just put my head in my hands. The ground was the be all and end all for Splash of Ginge I wrote him off in my write up saying he needed to be up to his knees in it (which by off time he was). Had I known prior to placing the bets the state of the ground then I'd have certainly included him in the trifecta attempt so suffice to say I spent most of yesterday afternoon bashing my head up the wall as did Marble by the sounds of it.

I think the 2nd and the 3rd will turn out to be very good horses this year I think Starchitect will eventually make up into a nice staying type and Le Prezien will be seen to better effect over 2 and a half when getting better ground maybe the Ryan Air winner.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Le Prezien was very eye catching yes.

Thanks
    Did the ground not take anyone else by surprise yesterday ? It reminded me of a few years back when I'd done a load of work for the last day of the Cheltenham Festival had some cracking chances with Antepost bets to make me a right wedge and then the rain came like I'd never seen and I just remember Bryan Cooper I think it was crossing the line in the first with mud slapped all over his face. Ridiculous scenes and possibly the worse days punting I've ever had at the festival.

Thanks
    I had similar thoughts. Placed my bets thinking it would be good to soft at worst and then went out. When I saw the rain teeming down after getting back for the first I knew it would be a disaster. Lucky to scrape a couple of places in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked The New One as a horse but I can't understand all this money for him. He's lumping top weight and I'd like to see something with a low weight go past him.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair play to Elgin and Elite racing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    but I fear London Prize whose been supported today.

I saw him win at Gosforth in the summer, he's a nice type, but I'm just hoping London Prize has an off-day Sunday.
    AW he passed away after the race. R.I.P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Did the ground not take anyone else by surprise yesterday ? It reminded me of a few years back when I'd done a load of work for the last day of the Cheltenham Festival had some cracking chances with Antepost bets to make me a right wedge and then the rain came like I'd never seen and I just remember Bryan Cooper I think it was crossing the line in the first with mud slapped all over his face. Ridiculous scenes and possibly the worse days punting I've ever had at the festival.
    That sounds like the year Our Conor marmalised the rest of the field in the Triumph

Thanks
    Twas indeed and i believe Bobs Worth ploughed through the mud to lift the cup.
    Last edited by Danny; 19th November 2017 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Twas indeed and i believe Bobs Worth ploughed through the mud to lift the cup.
    Think it was the day Cooper rode a treble which catapulted his career into the spotlight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He won the first two having won on Benefficient the day before in JLT chase.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Danny (21st November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Le Prezien was very eye catching yes.
    Still on a winnable mark but not sure on him or where he will win a big one
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fonz View Post
    That sounds like the year Our Conor marmalised the rest of the field in the Triumph
    It has been going on for years . 2004 Gold Cup day another - ground was patently soft but the going description did not change .

Thanks
    Looking at the way Le Prezien settles in his races I reckon he could easily be stepped up to three miles. He's one of those horses that relaxes easily, and the extra distance will help his jumping. One race they might consider is the three mile Festival Chase on the Tuesday at Cheltenham. He's unexposed at the trip and could well still be handicapped to win it if they look after his mark.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure I would agree with all of that, Paul.

The reservations I expressed beforehand about Le Prezien's jumping, were not dispelled on Saturday, and on my viewing, far from settling-well, he got behind early because he clattered the first two, and had to work hard to get himself back into the race. That does suggest that he has some stamina reserves, and 3m may well be within his range..........but I'd hesitate to back him in a big-field handicap, until I'd seen some improvement in his fencing technique.

His handicap mark will be shot to bits now anyway, I suspect.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 21st November 2017 at 10:28 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I don't disagree with regards his jumping Nick. He's been pretty poor over his first two or three in both his races this season, and he was possibly worse last season. It looks like a concentration issue, because he seems to warm up quite quickly afterwards. Half a stride slower over further can only help though.

With regards his handicap mark, and a step in trip, I reckon low 150's might still be workable. Let's see what they do to him this week.

Thanks
    I haven't rewatched the Greatwood but from the stands it looked as if once again with Richard Johnson aboard The New One jumped straight and not out to the right all the time as he tends to do with other jockeys in particular Sam TD .