Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quite a few frankel !!
    Remember Kings Lake running in 81, Luth Enchantee finishing third at 3 having been near enough unbeaten over a mile all summer that year.
    Soft ground the undoing of so many of them .

Thanks
    Think I've decided Brametot is the best bet in this. I've watched the replay of the French Derby and visually I was really taken with it. If he were coming here straight of the back of that then he'd have to be second favourite at least or to my mind Joint favourite with Enable. So why is he 16/1 ? Understandably after that last start, falling out the stalls and losing 10 lengths and I suppose the worry is that he'll do it again and blow his chances . Connections are saying they've done things with him to help and that he had a niggle in his back which they've put right I don't know whether I would put to much faith in that but here's how I see it. Without fluffing his lines the last time I think he should have been a 4/1 shot here and he's generally available at 14's which basically makes me feel like they are giving me 10/1 that he comes out of the stalls on time. I decided to price up a non sensical market of my own.

Evens - he makes a tardy start similar to what he did in the Derby (but still won)
    9/4 - He blows the start to the extent where it renders him with no chance
    9/2 - He gets off to a flyer.
    200/1 - He turns out to be the next Mad moose and will be seen refusing to start in a juvenile hurdle at Plumpton at some point in November.

So on this basis I'll give him a go at the price. His performance in the Derby was good enough for him to be a major player but when watching I thought he'd really only improve from a step up in trip. In times gone by before the fillies took over this race if you found the best 3yo colt in Europe you wouldn't be too far away in the Arc and I think this could be the best 3yo Colt in Europe.

The last hurdle to get over was his horrible name but this was because I was going with a Black Country pronunciation of BRAME_TOT when I realised the real pronunciation was BRAM-ETO which sounds like French rhyming slang for Camel toe this put me right at ease.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Enable goes into this much the same as Sea The Stars, as we don't know how good she is.
    However, likewise; she's done everything asked of her, is head and shoulders clear of an ordinary bunch on ratings, acts on the ground, & has both the stamina and speed not to get outridden in the closing stages. Rab Havlin's comment "She's the best filly we've had'' clinches what connections have been hinting for a while now, and I'll be surprised if she's beaten.

Thanks
    Anybody know which online bookies will allow PMU settlement, they offer fixed odds or SP but SP will be UK bookies calculated price wont it ?

Betfred offer an option of Win Div - will that be PMU or a UK generated Tote system ?

Failing that I’m pretty sure you used to be able to choose it in the shops ? but haven’t been in one for years.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Enable goes into this much the same as Sea The Stars, as we don't know how good she is.
    I don't agree with that, she stretches clear and her authority is plain to see. I don't like Arc horses running in it after a break, much prefer a summer break then a trial. She had 3 races, 2 of them quite hard ones, in 5 weeks. Then a six week break until now - I just question whether she'll be at her peak.

Thanks
    Like, Postponed was similar last year. Won the Juddmonte and then didn't race until Chantilly. When Bago was third to Sulamani at York he took in the Niel before the Arc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I haven't done any figures for the Arc as I think Enable's best form is unbeatable. However, this is the Arc and things can go wrong at this time of year and with heavy ground.

I've taken three alternatives in the hope that there's an upset.

Dschingis Secret 16/1 (German + heavy ground = should go well)
    Satono Diamond 40/1 ew (Japanese only send their best here and previous runners were never this price)
    Plutomac 80/1 ew (+220 win only Betfair) (Fabre & Guyon - when were they ever that kind of price in a G1? That would be like O'Brien & Moore being 80/1 with presumably their best hope.)

Just looking for good runs for my money, really...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    taken brametot (18s) and ullyses (10s) each way. 4 places a quarter at 365.

Thanks
    Brametot 20s with that firm now. Have to top up.

Thanks
    Amazed Brametot now available at 20/1 with Bet365. Sure the poor run last time has to be forgiven but I think I read there were excuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    The excuses are legit. I think the reason he's so big is slight stamina questions over the trip on soft ground and also the worry that he tends to be slowly away.

Thanks
    I'm smashing into the filly. I don't buy this British/Irish 3yo filly argument. John Gosden has had a 3rd and a 6th with Taghrooda/Great Heavens and 3yo fillies in general have run very well in recent years. And having looked through the race, unless she gets a bad trip I think she wins in style, the rest of them have loads to find imho.

If she got a bad trip Zarak, Brametot (if he starts but if not he's in trouble) and Capri look nice e/w prices so may have small savers on the first and third of those.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 1st October 2017 at 2:25 PM.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Just a point on this meeting - I don't like the fact they've moved the Arc earlier in the card, much better later in the card, builds the anticipation more. Makes 3 Group 1's seem like an afterthought.

Thanks
    Beautiful.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    What a filly. Fantastic performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Top, top class filly
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Brilliant horse.

Brilliant jockey.

Brilliant performance from both.

Never really in doubt, was it?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I'm smashing into the filly. I don't buy this British/Irish 3yo filly argument. John Gosden has had a 3rd and a 6th with Taghrooda/Great Heavens and 3yo fillies in general have run very well in recent years. And having looked through the race, unless she gets a bad trip I think she wins in style, the rest of them have loads to find imho.
    What a filly! Silenced any doubters now surely.

Thanks
    And yes, what a jock. Again, silencing doubters when it really matters.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well done A was right there with you...what amazed me was You could actually get the price she should have been to win. 4/9 for a place.....Bookies and layers must have too a tanking
    Formely Fist of Fury

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st October 2017)