Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: King George Boxing/St Stephen's Day 2017

Thanks
    Might Bite was dossing it seemed to me after the last . Professional performance after taking BDM on - for a lesser horse that might have been a cut throat ride .

As so often that allowed Doubke Shuffle and Tea for Two to pick up the pieces .

Unless Might Bite empties up the Cheltenham hill I cannot see him being beaten in the Gold Cup .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Huge congrats to GH and all who took big odds ante-post for this. I was pretty sure Tom Segal put it up this time last year at 33s but I didn't see it mentioned as 'already advised' yesterday.

I've only seen the race once and it doesn't look like my machine recorded it so I'll catch it again at the JC site but I wondered as it all unfolded if it was panning out as a substandard renewal with some big guns out of their comfort zone from quite early. Was the race coming too soon for BDM and Whisper?

But it still looked a pretty strong pace and given Danny (the amazing Double Shuffle) and I (Tea For Two) had suggested outsiders for value it might still be a really hot race.

It will be interesting to see how the handicapper reacts given the proximity in ORs of the finishers.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, DO - much appreciated.

My view, having watched it several times, is that it probably wasn’t all that great a renewal, but that the winner had a ton in reserve, and was basically kidded up ths entire straight by NdB (who I thought gave him an absolute peach of a ride).

The Biter appears to have been dismissed in several quarters as a Gold Cup horse, on a strict interpretation of yesterday’s form, which rather misses the point of the horse, imo. He keeps far too much back for himself, and is difficult to rate accurately as a result.

The job of rating Might Bite is likely going to be much easier after he is beaten fair-and-square in a steeplechase, but there’s so far been no indication of that happening. As some have predicted after his length defeat of Double Shuffle, it could happen in the Gold Cup, but then again, the stiffer test on spring ground, will probably see Might Bite to even greater effect than at Kempton.

As far as a rating for the KG is concerned, I think you’d be hard-pushed to award much more than 167 myself.....and even that might be a lb or two on the high-side. But my view of the Biter is the better the race he contests, the higher his mark will go. Add that to his tactical versatility (in an ideal world he’d be delivered very late, but very few horses can go his gallop), and I think he has massive claims in the Gold Cup. Bookies quoting 13/2 and 6/1 post-race are lining themselves for a dull slap.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Nico said straight after that he was idoling, and had anything come up the side of him he would have kicked on again.

I've got him for Gold Cup in several quarters, the hill is the only thing I'm worried about.

Thanks
    Nice touch yesterday Grasshopper.
    Agree its a hard race to rate, BDM is always going to have a loftier rating than he should have due to his delomition jobs in a Haydock bog.
    Think it was a mistake running Whisper as he had a very hard race in the Hennessey.
    However, Might Bite did the job professionally and think he had a lot more in hand, on better ground in March which is what we generally get, he's by far the biggest danger to Sizing John.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggers1972 For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (27th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    In The Desert Orchid Chase on Wednesday, while I've got nothing personal against Politlogue, I feel he will get found out at some point over 2 miles. He needs to be taken-on at the current prices.

Special Tiara is the obvious danger, but Forest Bihan could also be a big player on best form, if you're willing to forgive the last run, (which I am).

He's still only a 6yo, just turning 7 in a few days time. I reckon Brian Ellison can get more improvement out of him. He's the bet at 12/1, each way.
    Forest Bihan shortening all the time. I just hope he runs a lot better than last time, (I think he will).

Thanks
    Just catching up with the important stuff now the family guff is all over...

Firstly well done to Grassy with the Biter and amazing tipping Danny with Double Shuffle

I was there Boxing Day and as always a cracking crowd and atmosphere

Just watching in the parade ring you could tell The Biter is clearly a head case - I'm sure there was a point where he turned 180° and tried to start marching back at the opposition. Did absolutely nothing wrong on the track though and can see him running up a sequence in this (anyone seen 2018 ante post prices??). As has been said, he idled out in front and have no qualms over a bit further and the Cheltenham hill.

Bryony Frost and Black Corton were the other highlight. A bit lucky but they avoided the carnage and did what some of the others couldn't, which was jump round

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perpetual For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (28th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Is today the day for Someday

Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    King George thread, PJ??
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    King George thread, PJ??
    Still getting over my yorkitis

Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done