Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Davy Russell

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If this is a public manifestation can you imagine what goes on in the yards, out of the range of cameras and with horsemen a little more agricultural than Davy Russell?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seen it first hand, AC, not pretty.

As an aside I used to work in a yard that trained Arabians and there was a 3-y-o colt, known as 'Albert' who had the annoying habit of giving me a little nip just below the rib cage (no malice involved) it happened every time I went in his box, so I thought I would give him a surprise, as he was about to nip I "put the head in", not a good idea and it it didn't stop him giving me the toothy kiss either.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 734 Posts
    Back legs be warned, front leg danger
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "One end bites, the other end shites, and the bit in the middle is uncomfortable"

"For fu*ck's sake, Scudamore, you useless cu*nt"

"C'mon son"

"Good hoss....good hoss"

"Fu*cking mutt"
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    As someone who has never ridden a horse in my life, could someone please explain what people are referring to when they describe jockey x as "a horseman/woman" or "a good horseman/woman".

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The term would be used or aimed more at NH racing than the flat. IMVHO

John Francome was a classic example of a good horseman. always in the right place at the right time and he'd present his horse at a fence spot on more often than not. If he had a weakness it was his lack of power in a finish

AP I would describe as a brilliant jockey as in many many races his lack of finesse would find him in the wrong place at the wrong time but somehow still managed to win races no other jockey could have.

If you could get Francome to ride em to the last then switch to AP Odin wouldn't have beat them on Pegasus
    Last edited by Tanlic; 22nd August 2017 at 4:54 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    As someone who has never ridden a horse in my life, could someone please explain what people are referring to when they describe jockey x as "a horseman/woman" or "a good horseman/woman".

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

littlelad (22nd August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Davy Russell will face a Turf Club hearing on Saturday.

Thanks
    The more I see it the more I'm convinced that he doesn't make bone on bone contact because neither of them shows any kind of reaction. Having said that, he should still get a few days off for stupidity (or bringing the sport into disrepute as the catch all is known).
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    What Tanlic describes is good jockeyship. That's not automatically the same as being a good horseman, which is a phrase used in all spheres of equestrianism not just racing. It tends to mean someone who grew up around horses, who understands how they behave, who can handle tricky horses others might struggle with, someone with good hands and who is quietly confident even when a horse is acting up.

Hitting a horse in the head out of frustration would not usually be synonymous with being a good horseman.

I don't believe Russell should be strung up or banned for life; however equally I find the minimising going on because he's a decent jockey and gives good craic sickening. He did a stupid and ugly thing that a) is not an acceptable way to discipline an animal; b) sets a bad example to aspiring young jockeys and c) is a gift to the anti-racing lobby. The Turf Club need to send out a message that this sort of behaviour is not tolerated.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cruella For This Useful Post:

Bachelors Hall (31st August 2017), Colin Phillips (25th August 2017)

Thanks
    DR cautioned, no further punishment.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    What Tanlic describes is good jockeyship. That's not automatically the same as being a good horseman, which is a phrase used in all spheres of equestrianism not just racing. It tends to mean someone who grew up around horses, who understands how they behave, who can handle tricky horses others might struggle with, someone with good hands and who is quietly confident even when a horse is acting up.

Hitting a horse in the head out of frustration would not usually be synonymous with being a good horseman.

I don't believe Russell should be strung up or banned for life; however equally I find the minimising going on because he's a decent jockey and gives good craic sickening. He did a stupid and ugly thing that a) is not an acceptable way to discipline an animal; b) sets a bad example to aspiring young jockeys and c) is a gift to the anti-racing lobby. The Turf Club need to send out a message that this sort of behaviour is not tolerated.
    No I wasn't talking about Jockeyship I was talking about jockeys who were/are good horsemen. Francome was a member of the British junior team that won the European Championship before he came into racing and was a brilliant horseman.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As for Davy Russell a good decision for racing. Was a mountain made out of a molehill although it may not have looked that way to the layman, it's best swept under the carpet and quickly forgotten IMVHO
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Year before last I took a 16 year old aspiring future jump jockey to the Lambourne Open Day; he actually didn't know that much about racing, but of course knew who AP was. McCoy and Francome were taking part in the usual schooling demonstration. He had never heard of Francome. I told him to watch him and not look at McCoy. Even in that kind of situation the difference was so clear to see. Francome on a horse is pure art.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Such is his sense of humour he would probably reply to you saying "Yes an Old masterpiece"
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

Thanks
    I think I'm pretty much in line with what Kevin Blake says:
    http://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I've been watching early 80's races whilst bored at work recently. Lester Piggott was a ******* animal.
    Romanes eunt domus remember 1587

21. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Carl (30th August 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He was that Simmo and whats more he wouldn't fook up like the flat jockeys of today do.

It get wore everday at least a couple of jockeys make jamie Spencer look like an angel

They hold them up out the back and get so far behind Nijinsky himself couldn't win from where they are.
    Lester once said why hold a horse 20 lengths behind the leaders if you can hold him up 5 lengths behind leaders

It fell on a lot of today's jockey's deaf ears
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 734 Posts
    I slapped my dog once - it was the making of her
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done