Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Davy Russell

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Davy Russell

Davy Russell appears to punch a horse in the head, quite a lengthy and lively discussion on TRF, not a mention on here!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 734 Posts
    not very clever from the usually top class DR
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Not clever, and wouldn't condone this, but I'd say most people involved with horses - especially thoroughbreds - will have given a horse a clout when they've done something idiotic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 734 Posts
    No one in the media has condemned him anyway

http://www.irishracing.com/blog-item...on&prid=184814
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I have to say, having seen the images just now, that there is no relation between some people's reaction and what actually happened. I was under the impression from some descriptions he had punched the horse squarely in the face, when in fact there is no evidence that he even touched it, and if he did the horse would have barely felt it.

The calls for a lengthy ban are malicious.

https://twitter.com/moogamooga3/stat...31395668623364

Thanks
    Exactly Grey. If indeed he made contact at all it was the equivalent to a clip round the ear rather than a beating.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I got the slipper from my mother whenever I needed it and it didn't do me any harm at all.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Are you sure?

Thanks
    Another mountain being made out of a molehill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Are you sure?
    My therapist seems to think so anyway.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Horses are no different than people sometime they need a smack or two and the Russell controversy is hardly worth a mention.

He and Ruby are role models young jockeys and a lot of trainers should watch more often

I just watch a shocking display from 2 Jockeys who should be both punched in the head for stupidity.

How many times have we watched Davy Russell and Ruby on the first and second favourite in a race?

Time after time off they go, they are always in the first 3 or 4, away from the dross and ensure it's a true run race, giving the no-hopers very little chance to get into the race.

You want to get beat on a superior animal, do what Sean Quinlan and Finian O'Toole did and go so slow the dross in the field are still around at the business end.

Why wouldn't they be if you have gone so slow even the slowest animals can keep in touch and where it goes wrong is your horse has used up valuable energy fighting the slow pace but the slower animal has never been out of his comfort zone.

The worst culprit was Finian O'Toole but if it was his trainer who instructed him to hold him up in that field then he should change to pig farming,

They really should spend tome and watch the Ruby and the Russell it isn't rocket science

Footnote:.Weird fall/unseat...looked like he jumped LOL I assume Finian O'Toole's saddle slipped with him pulling the head off the horse for more than 3/4 of the race
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walsh and Russell are both perfectly capable of dropping-anchor on one, when they need to.........but generally I agree.

I don't have an opinion on the Russell incident, other than to say it was a bit of a stupid thing to do - these guys know there are cameras trained on their every move.

As for the Twitter-storm about it, I think I managed to get through about a half-dozen Tweets, before I gave up. Twitter is just white-noise for the large-part, I find, and extracting anything of any actual use from it an exercise in endless patience (which I don't have).
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 21st August 2017 at 6:43 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    It clearly doesn't look good what Russell did and should not be tolerated. He's been an idiot.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The horse probably hardly felt it but that isn't the point, is it.

Unedifiying at least and it the same league as whipping a horse when it is obvious that he's never going to get involved in the finish.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You like Disney movies Frankel and it shows

Go work in a yard mucking out for month then come back after you have been kicked into orbit a couple of time.

Then you can criticism the man.

Davy like all jockeys lose it with some ignorant horses sometime and what he did happens every day in every yard at one time or another.

No one who cares about horses would put up with cruelty for the sake of cruelty but make no mistake horses are as tough as elephants and a hard slap now and then can be justified.

Don't carried away with Bambi like thoughts and get real is what I say to anyone who criticizes Davy over SFA
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post

Unedifiying at least and it the same league as whipping a horse when it is obvious that he's never going to get involved in the finish.
    With all respect that is utter tosh Colin........not the same at all
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's all about perception, Fists.

Both instances are UGLY!!

Thanks
    I agree that horses, along with all other animals, can be dangerous and have to realise who's boss. But surely the golden rule with all animals is not to hit round the head [the exception being if a horse is about to bite you but, even then the best thing to do is to get out of the way as quickly as possible].

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post

Yep.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

I accept the points about horses being frustrating and no doubt DR is a great horseman. However, it was a stupid and petulant thing to do. DR should explain himself and apologize. Racing authorities should ban him to make it clear that this is not how they expect horses to be treated in this industry.

If a football player raises his hand in striking another, he gets sent off and banned, regardless of how much it hurt the person he hit.