Thread: SlimChance - 10 months and not out

SlimChance

SlimChance - 10 months and not out

Jesus Slim, I wasn't expecting to do this until you landed ashore on the year anniversary of you losing your mind and taking redundancy at the start of September 2016. When we caught up with you in February you were very frank that betting for a living is hard and you hoped to survive, have you?

I'm not looking for a job if that's what you mean. I'm not in the best of moods so your questions need to be sharper.

Ok. I apologise, can I ask as to why your mood is not the best?

Look I've read a few interviews lately with pro punters and they've been absolute bollocks and I mean absolute bollocks. They have spouted absolute cliche bollocks and the Twitter lemmings ******* lap it up. Why the **** would you do these things unless you tell the ******* truth.

I get the distinct impression that it's not just some pros picking up cheques that is annoying you?

Correct. One of them wrote a ******* monologue about people around him not being able to tell whether he is winning or losing and reckoned that was something to be proud of. I can assure you that everyone around me knows if I'm winning or losing. There are a few clues. If I'm liking your **** photos on Facebook, I'm ******* winning. If I 'm sending you pictures of the canal in Dublin saying "its a lovely night for a walk" I'm ******* losing. It's bollocks to pretend that a professional punter is some sort of ******* zen master, we're not, we just place more good bets then bad.

I'm also guessing you lost today?

No. I won €600 but I did make a monumental **** up yesterday where I completely fucked up a bet that cost me and someone who had 50% equity about £1k.

This is new ground for me. You've never spoke of mistakes before.

Did I not mention the mother of my child to you?

(audible laughter)

Your awful choice of partners aside, explain why this **** up annoys you.

To be good at what I do people have to rely on you to execute bets correctly. The bet we had was an amazingly good one but our window of opportunity was small and I bottled it and mixed up two horses. The money doesn't matter, it never does, its that you made a schoolboy error. It ******* killed me. You want a reputation as the man that does things not the man that might.

Did you have the same mantra when you worked for Paddy Power?

**** Paddy Power, lets talk about me, I'm sick to **** about talking about working there, it doesn't define me in the same way no job defines any man.

Well lets talk about you, tell me about February through July since we last spoke?

Where do I start? I've ******* crushed it. Anyone holding a ticket on me going skint inside a year better burn it. I'm better than I thought myself.

So you chopped it off?

No. I've survived. Sometimes not losing is winning. You know I got my haircut today and the girl cutting my hair said "Oh you work in Paddy Power, I cut your hair in March". Now firstly I want to have this girls babies so there was no chance I was correcting her but I walked out of there thinking I'm not hiding this anymore. In future when anyone (bar the social welfare) asks me what I do for a living I'll answer honestly, I'm a professional gambler.

So there is a big stigma to saying you bet for a living?

Of course there is. It's like saying you're going studying arts in college, it's not a real course or job. But **** them. I have **** to do in shops in the mornings and I've the misfortune to be on buses and walking around the city a lot. It's a **** show. People are ******* zombies going to their 9-5 jobs in their navy slacks, white shirts and **** beards. I'm depressed for them. I'm going out in the morning thinking about winning 100k and they're walking around with their latties and earphones pretending life is good. But say you're a professional gambler and you're a degenerate gambler.

So for you the freedom to be able to walk around the city is a good thing rather then being cooked up in an office?

Is it ****. Dublin is really a horrible place. Peel away the tourism and the zombies going to work and you are left with people with the IQ of a lamppost, the destitute and the homeless. This is something that washed over me before but I see it everyday.

So when you win do you donate winnings to the homeless?

Do I ****. I'm appalled that its the society we live in but they can **** off and get a job or find an income like the rest of us. I walked passed kids on the street the other day trying to sell lemonade. had I known I had a loose tenner in my pocket I'd have given it to them. At least they're showing initiative.

So lets get back to the betting. we've mainly got the darker SlimChance tonight so we've probably lost our readership!

Look. Its very simple. I have my edges and I'm drilling them everyday. I've not hit banco yet but it's only a matter of time. The rent is getting paid and I've not got close to running out of cash. After 10 months that's victory for me. I'm like the amateur golfer that makes the cut at the Open. I've shown my potential and I'll be back for the trophy in a few years.

That's a fun analogy. So you're Rory McIllroy's 68 at Carnoustie in 2007 to his Claret Jug in 2014?

It won't take me 7 years to reach the top pal, that I can assure you.

When was the last time you looked for a job?

I'm going to say April, but the firm approached me to do an interview. They thought my salary expectations of €40k a year in Malta were extortionate. They gave the job to a lad I know for wy less. He wouldn't lace my boots but he's 23 and less cynical then me so probably a bargain.

Do you miss working?

With the help of God I'll never have the misfortune to be in the rat race again. I got some laugh the odd times I've had to collect unemployment benefit from a Post Office at the back of a shop in the centre of Dublin. 40 people lined up in navy slacks, white shirts and **** beards, like feeding time at the zoo. All the place is missing is a "Victory Gin" stand from George Orwell's 1984.

So come on Slim, come out of the darkness, give us the light.

No this is a reality check. Punting is ******* hard. I like some of what others professionals say but they need to be more honest as to the actual stresses of betting for a living. We all love it but if you go skint you're fucked, there's no going back.

So the Will Win thread died?

Look, there is rent to be paid. I can't give away my card for nothing anymore, it's retarded. I need people to get me a bit on. People are welcome to join our Whatsapp Group where the mantra is help me to help you win.

Has it gone well?

I think we're only starting. Anyone in the group will make money once they're not retarded.

Anything coming up?

I've got an absolute certainty coming up in a maiden in the next week. Watch this space. Now **** off its 3am and I need to be in the shops at 9am.

Right. Slim, thanks for the chat but to be honest the darkness had descended upon you and you have told us nothing you ****.

Similar to Matchbook so?

Fair point...

Now **** off but I'll be good enough to answer any questions from the floor.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 28th July 2017 at 2:58 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

BigTea (28th July 2017), Colin Phillips (28th July 2017), Grasshopper (28th July 2017), redcat1 (28th July 2017), swedish chef (30th July 2017)

Thanks
    Your entertainment value on here should have a price.
    ROLL ON THE RESISTANCE !!!

Thanks
    I'm sure I'm being thick here but is that a mock interview or a real one?
    Last edited by Ricko; 28th July 2017 at 1:11 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think it's reminiscent of Terry Wogan and Jimmy Rabbitte..........almost as good too
    Last edited by Tanlic; 28th July 2017 at 1:20 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    "To be good at what I do people have to rely on you to execute bets correctly. The bet we had was an amazingly good one but our window of opportunity was small and I bottled it and mixed up two horses. The money doesn't matter, it never does, its that you made a schoolboy error. It ******* killed me. You want a reputation as the man that does things not the man that might. "

I guess your bet was at Yarmouth?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Banned
    Thanks
    Right. Slim one last question
    After the misunderstanding with gigilo
    How long did it take for the brown stain to disappear from your tongue***

No comment its on going

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Our Rita View Post
    Right. Slim one last question
    After the misunderstanding with gigilo
    How long did it take for the brown stain to disappear from your tongue***

No comment its on going
    Parodys are welcomed but they must resemble some form of humour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Dear Slim

Could you make a living laying bets or would it bore you to death being the taker and not the giver
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Dear Slim

Could you make a living laying bets or would it bore you to death being the taker and not the giver
    I've learnt over the years that winning money is a souless pursuit. I also learnt from working in the industry how morally corrupt bookmakers are. Only recently I was drinking with a prominent Irish racing journalist who had a young friend with him who is a maths betting geek. He was boasting how much he makes laying problem gamblers and "friends" on credit. I was quick to get stuck into him that if he wanted to add value to the world he should help these people win and not pick their pocket. I was doing the same thing when I was 19 and 20 but its souless.

On the flipside I've helped a 7 figure a year loser win and almost lose his account. Use your powers to help others win and you'll get your cut and not ruin lives and families in the process. It's those ******* bookmakers I want to beat.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 28th July 2017 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Everyone needs a moral compass to guide their indiscretions.

good luck to you bud. Hit them hard and leave a legacy
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    I've learnt over the years that winning money is a souless pursuit. I also learnt from working in the industry how morally corrupt bookmakers are. Only recently I was drinking with a prominent Irish racing journalist who had a young friend with him who is a maths betting geek. He was boasting how much he makes laying problem gamblers and "friends" on credit. I was quick to get stuck into him that if he wanted to add value to the world he should help these people win and not pick their pocket. I was doing the same thing when I was 19 and 20 but its souless.

On the flipside I've helped a 7 figure a year loser win and almost lose his account. Use your powers to help others win and you'll get your cut and not ruin lives and families in the process. It's those ******* bookmakers I want to beat.
    Assuming you're not BSing us, this is one of more heartening and reassuring comments I've read on here in a long time. If I can help in any way I'm only too glad.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm personally devastated to hear that Slim has something resembling a soul.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I'm personally devastated to hear that Slim has something resembling a soul.
    That's certainly not what I'm proclaming and I'll burn in hell before most. I'd just rather win a fair fight with bookmakers then prop up my income laying problem gamblers.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Assuming you're not BSing us, this is one of more heartening and reassuring comments I've read on here in a long time. If I can help in any way I'm only too glad.
    I mean every word I say, most of the time I offend people but ocassionally I inspire. You're help has made its mark over the years and that should be taken as high praise.

Thanks
    Slim, did you get an interview with Star Lizard in the end?

Brillant read, well done!
    Last edited by harry; 29th July 2017 at 1:52 AM.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    Slim, did you get an interview with Star Lizard in the end?

Brillant read, well done!
    I thought their interview questions were interesting but I never really thought I had a shot with them. They want quants monkeys not people like me that can survive on their wits.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 29th July 2017 at 2:02 AM.

Thanks
    Whats the story behind the name "slimchance"?

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Whats the story behind the name "slimchance"?
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/r...le-161974.html

The first price available was actually 33/1. A few members on here were given the nod. She had worked with a filly that went off 6/4 in a Curragh maiden and beat her 5 lengths. The trainer wanted to run her at one of the Grade One tracks but saw sense. He was such an unfashionable trainer that we hadnt enough cash to correct the market. It was a glorious day.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

simmo (29th July 2017)

SlimChance
    Galway

One bet on the card

Galway 8.40
    Boris Grishenko

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

2017diary (31st July 2017), jackie (31st July 2017)