Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To Read or not to Read

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It’s fiction but for laugh-out-loud hilarity, get a hold of ‘The Amateurs’ by John Niven, which tells the story of a terrible, high-handicap golfer, who is transformed into a genius player, after being hit on the noggin by a stray drive.

Trust me - the above description doesn’t really do it justice, and you won’t regret it.

If you want something deeper, then try Luke Harding’s ‘A Very Expensive Poison’ which tells Alexander Litvinenko’s story up to the time of his assassination.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 11th February 2023 at 9:43 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

G-G (1st January 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    It’s fiction but for laugh-out-loud hilarity, get a hold of ‘The Amateurs’ by John Niven, which tells the story of a terrible, high-handicap golfer, who is transformed into a genius player, after being hit on the noggin by a stray drive.

Trust me - the above description doesn’t really do it justice, and you won’t regret it.

If you want something deeper, then try Luke Harding’s ‘A Very Expensive Poison’ which tells Alexander Litvinenko’s story up to the time of his assassination.
    If you want fact, read 'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year.

I really enjoyed this.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Have read a lot more since switching to an e-reader. Was against them, but surely one of the best tech I own.

Some good books I've read lately

Collusion - Luke Harding https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36549880-collusion

Secret history of flight 149 https://www.easons.com/the-secret-hi...-9781789465365
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    The Great War For Civilisation is sitting in front of me for the last 2 months -it looks good when people call but I haven't read 1 of the almost 1500pages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    If you want fact, read 'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year.

I really enjoyed this.
    Read this a few months ago, and now know why I'm a rubbish golfer.
    Timothy Payne Galway's 'Inner Game of Golf' is another in the same vein, though easier to put into practice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I worked hard on my golf without much success until I found an old copy of Patrick Campbell’s How to Become a Scratch Golfer, circa 1963, which mainly entailed hanging around the clubhouse and putting green, looking the part with a well worn glove and an armoury of plausible excuses if anyone ever saw you hitting a shot. Funny read and although it’s a “vintage” book with price accordingly you can still pick it up cheaply from Amazon or e-bay https://www.amazon.co.uk/Become-Scra.../dp/0218512902

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Over Christmas:

Prophet Song, disturbing imagining of a despotic political takeover in Ireland. Booker winner, but only my third favourite from the short list. (This Other Eden should have won imo).

Chip War, Chris Miller. The evolution and fragility of the semiconductor industry. I worked in silicon my whole career and found this book compelling. Don't need a techie background to devour this.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Chip war was very good
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Mike bought me a book for Christmas called Kick the Latch. It’s about American racing and is up for some awards. It’s based on a series of interviews and is described as ‘vividly capturing the arc of one woman’s life at the racetrack’. Just about to start it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Mike bought me a book for Christmas called Kick the Latch. It’s about American racing and is up for some awards. It’s based on a series of interviews and is described as ‘vividly capturing the arc of one woman’s life at the racetrack’. Just about to start it.
    Finished it. It’s a read in one session book but I spread it out over a few days. Fascinating little book. I’d love to know what anyone more knowledgeable of American racing would think of it. It reminded me a bit of a very condensed version of Jane Smiley’s Horse Heaven.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My reads since last update, with my now famous Grasshopper reviews:

The Right To Rule (Ben Riley-Smith) - Treatise of umpteen years of useless Tory Govts, so a combination of schadnefruede and utter despair.

The Fall of Boris Johnson (Sebastian Payne) - exactly what you'd expect, and all the more engaging for it.

Out of The Blue: The Unexpected Rise & Rapid Fall of Liz Truss (Harry Cole & James Heale) - Hastily re-written pre-publication in an attempt to match the speed of the idiot Truss's downfall.

Billion Dollar Whale (Tom Wright & Bradley Hope) - Recommended. Tale about how one brazen maniac managed to take advantage (birds, booze, the fu*cking lot) of the corruption around the Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Politics On the Edge (Rory Stewart) - A crie-de-couer about the wretched state of UK politics, written by a man seemingly in denial about his true political alignment.

Flawless (Scott Selby & Greg Campbell) - True-story about the world's largest-ever diamond heist in Antwerp.

Mafia Republic (John Dickie) - Historical and contemporary account of Cosa Nostra, Commorra and 'nDrangheta crime organisations.

Blood Covenant (Michael Franzese) - Biographical account of made-man/captain in the Colombo family, who found God and left the Mob largely unscathed. Get's a bit 'praise Jebus' in parts though.

Gomorrah (Roberto Saviano) - The book which inspired the TV series.

But What Can I Do? (Alastair Campbell) - downloaded but not started.

Seems I still spend a fair amount of my time reading about cu*nts of one type or another.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 19th January 2024 at 12:12 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

granger (27th January 2024)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Have downloaded Chip War following Colm and PJ's recommendations.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I’m so depressed by current political stuff ( mainly the thought that Trump might actually be president again: I mean, how can it even be possible??) that I’m reading all the children’s fantasy fiction that I bought for my granddaughter. I need pure escapism. ( I have just bought Rory’s The Places Inbetween, though).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    My reads since last update, with my now famous Grasshopper reviews:

The Right To Rule (Ben Riley-Smith) - Treatise of umpteen years of useless Tory Govts, so a combination of schadnefruede and utter despair.

I will download a few of these and try them
    The Fall of Boris Johnson (Sebastian Payne) - exactly what you'd expect, and all the more engaging for it.

Out of The Blue: The Unexpected Rise & Rapid Fall of Liz Truss (Harry Cole & James Heale) - Hastily re-written pre-publication in an attempt to match the speed of the idiot Truss's downfall.

Billion Dollar Whale (Tom Wright & Bradley Hope) - Recommended. Tale about how one brazen maniac managed to take advantage (birds, booze, the fu*cking lot) of the corruption around the Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Politics On the Edge (Rory Stewart) - A crie-de-couer about the wretched state of UK politics, written by a man seemingly in denial about his true political alignment.

Flawless (Scott Selby & Greg Campbell) - True-story about the world's largest-ever diamond heist in Antwerp.

Mafia Republic (John Dickie) - Historical and contemporary account of Cosa Nostra, Commorra and 'nDrangheta crime organisations.

Blood Covenant (Michael Franzese) - Biographical account of made-man/captain in the Colombo family, who found God and left the Mob largely unscathed. Get's a bit 'praise Jebus' in parts though.

Gomorrah (Roberto Saviano) - The book which inspired the TV series.

But What Can I Do? (Alastair Campbell) - downloaded but not started.

Seems I still spend a fair amount of my time reading about cu*nts of one type or another.
    Nice list Nick

I'll download a few and see what similar I've read this year