Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2424748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1167

Thread: 2018 Gold Cuppin'

Thanks
    Rightly or wrongly I have written off Sizing John this gold cup. I believe last season races have left him below his best . The Punchestown race was the final nail in the coffin. Take nothing away from the horse what he did last year was out standing and it won't be done to often. Cast your mind back to Best Mate wasn't it 2 races before the new year, then the gold cup following by the pastures until next season, 3 years and 9 runs.

Ps Anyone who doesn't think Might Bite was idling in the KG should take up bird watching as an alternative pastime

Thanks

2018 Gold Cuppin'

I have also ruled out Sizing John. Recent winners of the blue ribbon event have had much better preps in attempting to regain their crown and still failed.

Kauto Star, Long Run, Bobs Worth to name but a few. It’s very very hard to regain your title with everything going right never mind trying it with his prep. I also think it needs to be fairly soft to bring Native River into play as a winner of the race.

I’ve it down to two horses I think fit the trend of big race winners at Cheltenham. Horses where the season has flowed and everything has just seemed to go right for them. That’s Mite Bite & Road to Respect. The two in the field either side of the Irish Sea who have had perfect preps.

I’ve been backing Mite Bite since before his seasonal debut at Sandown from 8s and i’ve recently started chipping away at Road to Respect ew at 10s. I will probably do the forecast on the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 22nd February 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Some of those birdwatchers have forgotten more than you will ever learn and if you are right, idlers don't win Gold Cups
    Formely Fist of Fury

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Kauto Abu (22nd February 2018)

Thanks
    Never said he would win but I agree with you Tanlic the biggest danger to Might Bite is Might Bite

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Kauto Abu;696429]I have also ruled out Sizing John. Recent winners of the blue ribbon event have had much better preps in attempting to regain their crown and still failed.

Kauto Star, Long Run, Bobs Worth to name but a few. It’s very very hard to regain your title with everything going right never mind trying it with his prep. I also think it needs to be fairly soft to bring Native River into play as a winner of the race.

I’ve it down to two horses I think fit the trend of big race winners at Cheltenham. Horses where the season has flowed and everything has just seemed to go right for them. That’s Mite Bite & Road to Respect. The two in the field either side of the Irish Sea who have had perfect preps.

I’ve been backing Mite Bite since before his seasonal debut at Sandown from 8s and i’ve recently started chipping away at Road to Respect ew at 10s. I will probably do the forecast on the day.

I reckon he's a good ew bet Road to Respect and could even win the race but what I am 1005 sure of is Might Bite is going to get his ass felt. To me he's no more a Gold Cup horse than flying in the air and was ahuge disappointment at Kempton.

He'll go down faster than Titanic on Gold Cup day................my advice lay the fooker....Ground or no ground Tizzards will run the lost of them into the ground as sure as god made little green men form mars..bars
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Think I'll have a bet on the all weather instead lol
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I'm a little surprised that Killultagh Vic hasn't had more of a mention on this thread with all the recent Gold cup chat. I'm not saying he's the most obvious or likely winner, but he certainly commands respect imo. Falling lto obviously a negative,but the potential and possibility is definitely there and surely Ruby rides him over Djackadam & Total Recall....

Anyone heard anything as to his well being since falling at Leopardstown at the DRF?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    and guys ask yourself this when was the last time I was wrong about which horse would win the Gold Cup?.............goes away back to 2017
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    I'm a little surprised that Killultagh Vic hasn't had more of a mention on this thread with all the recent Gold cup chat. I'm not saying he's the most obvious or likely winner, but he certainly commands respect imo. Falling lto obviously a negative,but the potential and possibility is definitely there and surely Ruby rides him over Djackadam & Total Recall....

Anyone heard anything as to his well being since falling at Leopardstown at the DRF?

You have apoint DJ we really don't know how good he is other than VERY. I will be amazed if it even crosses Ruby mind to ride Djakadam who should be heading to france for that funny race they have
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

2018 Gold Cuppin'

what I am 1005 sure of is Might Bite is going to get his ass felt. To me he's no more a Gold Cup horse than flying in the air and was ahuge disappointment at Kempton.

He'll go down faster than Titanic on Gold Cup day................my advice lay the fooker....Ground or no ground Tizzards will run the lost of them into the ground as sure as god made little green men form mars..bars

Tanlic, he’ll have em all beat so early he’ll have time to go for a pint in the Guinness Village again like last year & still win.

In all seriousness tho, you raise the point of him going down easily or like the “Titanic” it’s a point I’m surprised has not been thrashed about more given he’s a Scorpion but one I’d have no reservations about. They said the same about Sizing John last year & Kauto Star in his first win too. Stamina wont beat Might Bite. Might Bite is the only horse who could possibly beat Might Bite.

His Dam Knotted Midge has produced 2 progeny, Might Bite & Beat That. Beat That was a 2 time G1 winner over 3m as a hurdler before injury thwarted his career. Two of those wins came against high class stayers laden with stamina in Cole Harden & Don Poli. Knotted Midges Dam was called Bula beag who gave us Drombeag who won numerous times over 3m+. Her sire was the great Presenting who gave us Denman and War of Attrition so trust me, stamina is no issue for this lad. He is made for this trip.

Scorpion himself has produced several middle distance winners from 20f up to 24f. Might Bite is lethal because he inherited his fathers speed and that ability to inject speed in the middle of a race with his mothers stamina which others just cant seem to live with.

Winning the RSA as he did last, coming back to pass whisper, certainly didn’t suggest he was all out. Takes a fair horse to do that. Same in the KG this year. He was bone idle in front but the jump at the last clearly demonstrated he had bags left. He won that race with a mile to go after setting some serious fractions on the clock in the middle third of that race. He literally killed them off there and then.

I’d say they’ll ride him conservatively and send him on 3 or 4 out. Whip wont be drawn until he’s half way up the hill and past that shoot.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 22nd February 2018 at 2:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    I have also ruled out Sizing John. Recent winners of the blue ribbon event have had much better preps in attempting to regain their crown and still failed.

Although I'd agree with what your saying to some extent in regards of 2 horses doing nothing wrong and everything going right for them you could take the other view that there have been plenty of horses for one reason or another who've flopped mid season especially in the KG and gone on to win the Gold Cup. Imperial Commander, See more Business and Looks Like Trouble, Best Mate, Lord Windmere to name just a few so its not always that straight forward.

I haven't bought the Might Bite idling in the KG opinion at all. I do however think he's a better horse on better ground and I don't have any doubts on him being a strong stayer the only question for me is, is he good enough ? The Gold Cup will be the hardest race he's ever been in by quite some way so we'll find out. I wouldn't back him at current prices but respect he has a favourites chance. I do believe though if we get a proper soft ground Gold cup then he's any price you like.

Just to add to this really anyone drawing confidence from the way he won the RSA last year might want to take into context that even if he'd have kept a straight line on that day and beaten Whisper 10 lengths, Whisper was beaten a similar distance in the Stayers hurdle previously at the festival. Staying Hurdlers are generally a poorer bunch of animals than Grade1 3 mile Chasers. Comparing his Cheltenham form with his form on left handed flat tracks where he has always been better to boost the RSA form is dodgy ground to say the least.
    Last edited by Danny; 22nd February 2018 at 4:07 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    The ground will be key for Bite.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't think it is necessarily key, but spring ground is definitely what will see him to best effect.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Gold Cup will be the hardest race he's ever been in by quite some way so we'll find out.
    I disagree, Danny. I don't think it's all that great a Gold Cup, and in terms of standard, it's probably not that much better than the King George.

Just to add to this really anyone drawing confidence from the way he won the RSA last year might want to take into context that even if he'd have kept a straight line on that day and beaten Whisper 10 lengths, Whisper was beaten a similar distance in the Stayers hurdle previously at the festival. Staying Hurdlers are generally a poorer bunch of animals than Grade1 3 mile Chasers. Comparing his Cheltenham form with his form on left handed flat tracks where he has always been better to boost the RSA form is dodgy ground to say the least.
    Whisper's huge run under top-weight in the Hennessy, is off-the-scale more relevant to stamina for a Gold Cup, than his outings in the Stayers Hurdle.

I've no idea what the last sentence actually means. Cheltenham is a left-handed track?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Of course its left handed Grass so the fact I slipped the words Left handed in is an irrelevant point should have read, flat tracks. What I was trying to say is that Whisper has always run better races at Aintree than he has Cheltenham and it would follow that Newbury is much more akin to Aintree.

His run in the Hennessy does look huge but as yet other than Total Recall winning a handicap hurdle of which he was thrown in nothing has really come out and franked the form and a lot of leading fancies in the race flopped the likes of American,Coneygree, Genie in a bottle who were all up there in the betting for it ran no sort of race. From what I've seen on the clock it was a good race though and would actually rate much better than Whisper had ever previously achieved much better from a time perspective than the RSA or the run against MB at Aintree.

I'd agree the Gold Cup doesn't look that good a race but i'd still say there will be more to test him in there than he's previously faced. I personally think there isn't a superstar amongst them or if there is I haven't spotted them .They all, including Might Bite look like the Bobs worths calibre more than they do the likes of Denman or Kauto Stars. But I suppose we won't know until they are put to the sword.
    Last edited by Danny; 22nd February 2018 at 5:45 PM.

Thanks

2018 Gold Cuppin'

Nicky Henderson is on record as saying that until last season Whisper was the horse that perplexed him the most. He couldn’t figure him out but accredits Davy Russell’s to giving the horse confidence. He even made reference to it in the Irish Field Cheltenham magazine recently so not sure what bringing form post last year has to do with it.

He said the horse had him scratching his head far more than Jenkins ever did. He is clearly a far superior animal this past year.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 22nd February 2018 at 5:48 PM.

Thanks
    I think as well Grass that I'm only looking at it from a betting perspective for those of you and there seem a few who hold tickets at 10's and 8's you have a cracking bet and if he was that price today I'd be loading on myself. I just disagree with those who think he's miles clear or that this will be a stroll in the park. If those comments are a little tongue in cheek then fair enough but I certainly don't think he'll be hacking up by any means.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (22nd February 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    Nicky Henderson is on record as saying that until last season Whisper was the horse that perplexed him the most. He couldn’t figure him out but accredits Davy Russell’s to giving the horse confidence. He even made reference to it in the Irish Field Cheltenham magazine recently so not sure what bringing form post last year has to do with it.

He said the horse had him scratching his head far more than Jenkins ever did. He is clearly a far superior animal this past year.

Henderson says a lot of things. Not all of them entirely accurate.

Thanks
    Which means some of them are!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I think as well Grass that I'm only looking at it from a betting perspective for those of you and there seem a few who hold tickets at 10's and 8's you have a cracking bet and if he was that price today I'd be loading on myself. I just disagree with those who think he's miles clear or that this will be a stroll in the park. If those comments are a little tongue in cheek then fair enough but I certainly don't think he'll be hacking up by any means.
    There is no tongue-in-cheek.....the Biter will wipe his fu*cking arse with the lot of them.

OK....maybe a little tongue-in-cheek.

SlimChance, March 2018

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Danny (22nd February 2018)