17 54.84%
  • Faugheen

10 32.26%
  • Other

4 12.90%
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2018 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    He’ll stay at Leopardstown over Xmas I’d imagine and face nothing. Buveur D’Air will go to Kempton after Newcastle and face nothing.

They’ll both meet along with the young pretender next March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    He’ll stay at Leopardstown over Xmas I’d imagine and face nothing. Buveur D’Air will go to Kempton after Newcastle and face nothing.

They should send Melon over to test the waters
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Good idea. Buveur would love a bit of Melon for starters before the main course.

Thanks

It'd be great if that happens @Kauto, as the nr/nb kicks in around February and if they meet earlier I wouldn't want to get stupid 1/3 1/4 odds on Faugheen. Better if they meet in March and let all the punters in like in `15.

However, the worry is the ripple effects RR horses have on each other and if they send Douvan over, he gets beat in the Tingle, then they'll send him for the KG and bring Faugheen along like they did with Fever and Vautour. Then they'll meet and its antepost game over for the CH.

Thanks
    Thing with Faugheen is that he’s literally been in training all late spring & through the summer so they’ll have to freshen him up somehow before March. You couldn’t trust the Ricci/Mullins combo as far as you could throw them so Faugheen could end up anywhere before a break.

Thanks
    What I'm most afraid of, other than him picking another injury, is sending him over in the Champion again with no prep. That year Ruby also played it very tactical and he made a huge mistake 2 out but he just didn't relished it like he later did at Punchestown, he needs to be in the Irish CH no doubt in my mind that'll help him tremendously going into Chelt.

Also I agree about the late and back in early training but thats what kept him in acceptable racing fitness for first time out.. how can you keep a horse from getting fatter, beside having a training regime, thats what Mullins needs to figure out in the future :-) ... I don't think that'll affect him too much though because he wasn't racing during the summer, he was just doing basic routines and they controlled the food quantity I suppose.

Thanks
    Thing with Faugheen is that he’s literally been in training all late spring & through the summer so they’ll have to freshen him up somehow before March. You couldn’t trust the Ricci/Mullins combo as far as you could throw them so Faugheen could end up anywhere before a break.

Grassy commented earlier about Digger and himself observing that Faugheen was as fat as a pig. Not true. I've just looked back at the recording from Sunday, and in the parade ring, you clearly see he's built like a tank, but he's got that muscular definition in his hind quarters and under the rib that you never see at the start of the season with him. He may be big, but he certainly looked fit, and at the very least much fitter than they've had him at this stage of the season previously.

When I posted earlier I hadn't realised they had him back in early and were working him through the summer, and had just assumed that they thought that he might not be as good as he used to be and given his relative age they'd worked him pretty hard to take advantage of what they could.

Anyway, I see Grassy and Granger have lined up Fishwives 2, which should be a lot of fun over the next few months.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe I used the term "size of a bull", which isn't exactly the same thing. Maybe you're right. It was certainly the performance of a fit horse.

PS. All true fish-wives went to their graves, when Hurricane Fly retired and was elevated on gilded-wings to the pantheon. I have no opinion on inferior, second-generation fish-wives.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 21st November 2017 at 10:55 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Apologies you did indeed. It was the sentiment that had stuck in my head.

As for the fishwives............

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

PS. All true fish-wives went to their graves, when Hurricane Fly retired and was elevated on gilded-wings to the pantheon. I have no opinion on inferior, second-generation fish-wives.

There will always be room for a cull. They shall be devoured
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post

'Devours Ground' will be his legacy
    Faugheen devours Ground. Buveur D’Air translated literally means “Air Drinker”

Those lungs never burn! Ever. He doesn’t feel the pain other horses do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Grassy commented earlier about Digger and himself observing that Faugheen was as fat as a pig. Not true. I've just looked back at the recording from Sunday, and in the parade ring, you clearly see he's built like a tank, but he's got that muscular definition in his hind quarters and under the rib that you never see at the start of the season with him. He may be big, but he certainly looked fit, and at the very least much fitter than they've had him at this stage of the season previously.

When I posted earlier I hadn't realised they had him back in early and were working him through the summer, and had just assumed that they thought that he might not be as good as he used to be and given his relative age they'd worked him pretty hard to take advantage of what they could.

Anyway, I see Grassy and Granger have lined up Fishwives 2, which should be a lot of fun over the next few months.
    I never said he was fat....i said he was big, but nowhere near as big as in the past. I also explained this was because he was last out and first in this season. He's been on the walker for months. He has a massive arse on him. Faugheen by the way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    He has a massive arse on him. Faugheen by the way.
    Ruby or Townend?!

Thanks

Those lungs never burn! Ever. He doesn’t feel the pain other horses do.

The doubters will soon feel the burn

Thanks
    Only a fool would doubt the Champion Hurdler

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems to me there's plenty on here doubting Buvi....bring it on I say this horse is different garvy to anything Faugheen ever had to face (the Fly was way past his best)
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Willie Mullins > "He's back as good as ever again now"

Tanlic, who do you think it refers to? Its the morning of an important race. Clue: http://www.skysports.com/racing/news...-rich-pickings .. Thats right, Hurricane Fly who was coming on back of defeating Jezki 3 times in the winter after he was pulverized by him at the end of previous season. These 2 horses at the time were rated 1-3 pounds more than Buv in winning his CH.

Be lucky Buv has won a CH, Faugheen would've chased his 4th one without being injured.
    Last edited by Aughex; 22nd November 2017 at 4:49 AM.

Thanks
    Then there's Buv trainer and jockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Henderson, 22 Nov 2017, Irish Racing Post
    I watched Faugheen with JP and we just looked at each other and went . . . errr
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Geraghty, 22 Nov 2017, Irish Racing Post
    Faugheen was so impressive two years ago and he showed on Sunday that he retains most of that ability. The bar was high before and it looks pretty high again. We’ll all have to up our game I’d say

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A good win by Defi over them in the Coral would give Hobbs's Champion Hurdle hopes a huge boost.

Winning is definetly possible but impressively? that could be much tougher

With LR likely to set a testing gallop and Defi L'ami and MTOY all likely to be held up cruising a tactical affair followed by a sprint ending looks certain. If Nicky also runs Top Notch that just complicates things further

I was expecting him to be odds on but the bookies know that one mistake late on could cost any of them the race

Still that price is probably worth grabbing..I reckon a good bet is 25pts Defi 11/10 12pts Sizing John 3/1 and 10pts double

Then if either one wins you are covered
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    Willie Mullins > "He's back as good as ever again now"

Tanlic, who do you think it refers to? Its the morning of an important race. Clue: http://www.skysports.com/racing/news...-rich-pickings .. Thats right, Hurricane Fly who was coming on back of defeating Jezki 3 times in the winter after he was pulverized by him at the end of previous season. These 2 horses at the time were rated 1-3 pounds more than Buv in winning his CH.

Be lucky Buv has won a CH, Faugheen would've chased his 4th one without being injured.
    You can twist and turn thing with numbers to suit any case. Neither Jezki nor Hurricane Fly chased him home Arctic Fire rated 157 at the time did.

Your old pal the mega consistent TNO finished 8 1/2 lengths behind Faugheen, He finished 8 3/4 lengths behind Annie Power he finished 10 1/2 lengths behind Buveur D'air having won the Stan James Trial Hurdle on all 3 occasions prior to the big one.

This clearly indicates that there is nothing between any the 3 unless you think all the praise you have been putting on TNO was garbage?????

We have to be realistic here.Jezki was in good form against early season half fit horses but he is still a shadow of his old self. he gave Faugheen no sort of challenge at all and that's a zillion miles from winning a Champion Hurdle
    Formely Fist of Fury