17 54.84%
  • Faugheen

10 32.26%
  • Other

4 12.90%
Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2018 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    pretty similar renewal standard id say. mtoy and tno solid enough yardsticks to underpin the form.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    19 are left in the Champion Hurdle, with Campeador, Defi Du Seuil, Moon Racer and The New One taken out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    TNO will finally run in the WH so?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Interesting trial today in the Kingwell at Wincanton. My main two Ante-post bets for the Champion face off against each other in the shape of Call Me lord and Ch'tibello. I'm not actually sure what result I want from it. I backed Call me lord earlier in the week and had a decent bet at 2's on the basis that Skelton had said previously that they'd skip that and head straight to the champion. Obviously he's had a change of heart and runs Ch'tibello today. With all things being equal I'd have thought Call Me Lord would take care of him here but with the first time tongue tie applied to Chitty I'm not so sure we won't see an improved performance given the way he ran in the trial at Haydock. I manged to get 4.72 on the forecast last night Ch'tibello to beat CML so I took that as cover and should make a decent profit providing they are the first 2 home.

Dessies cliffs of dover runs but I'm hoping reports of him needing the run are spot on and the fact Nicholls mentioned the Scottish Champion as his target I'm hoping they are just here to get dropped a few pounds. That leaves Elgin really as the only danger who would still have plenty of improvement to find to figure here so I'm hoping I'll make some decent wedge on the race today. Re- the champion huirdle position I'm not sure what result I'd want. CML is NRNB on every bet he's included in most of that would be in the market without Boover and I wouldn't have chanced him without that but with Nicky still adamant that he needs to go right handed I'm not sure how much use a win today would be. Ch'tibello I have more on in the outright market still also hold positions without boover too. More of these bets are without NRNB protection as I thought he was more certain to line up although I dare say a hefty defeat today would see that doubtful.

Who knows? I'll just have to watch it play out, the two of them going head to head was never going to be ideal and tbh If they get beat by Elgin I'm probably best to be put on suicide watch for the near future.
    Last edited by Danny; 17th February 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I’ll be happy just to watch this race as the heavy ground could bring about an iffy result.

Ch’Tibello already carries some ante-post support for the Champion Hurdle (33/1), as does Cliffs Of Dover (but only in an ew double with Saphir Du Rheu in the Gold Cup at big prices) so a win for either will please.

Cliffs Of Dover must surely be regarded as some way better than his current mark otherwise why even enter him for the Champion? He was the yard’s only entry for the Champion when they have good horses rated in the mid-high 150s. I’d also be concerned about soft ground let alone heavy.

Ch’Tibello has only been weighing up the opposition so far this season but I’m not convinced about the ground for him either even though he was winning form here in it. He’s tongue-tied for the first time.

Call Me Lord has fewest question marks about him but I can’t suggest him ahead of the other two so no bet.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have mild concerns about Ch'tibello's constitution, I have to say. He really should have beaten TNO last time, though if they're trying a TT, there's maybe some other issue. Just a hint though, that he might not want a scrap.

I'm intrigued to see how COD runs. His form figures are impressive, no doubt, but he looks like a summer hurdler to me. He's never raced over hurdles on ground anywhere near this Soft, and you would have to think there's a good reason for that. The owners aren't starry-eyed muppets, and don't usually overface their horses, so perhaps this to see if he is/isn't Champion Hurdle level. He'll need to find about a stone on his previous best form, to even put himself in the picture for the race, I reckon.

FWIW, I think one of the value bets in the Champion Hurdle is John Constable in the 'Without Buveur' market. He is 25/1 in places for that, and rates a seriously good each-way bet, imo, given how close-up he ran in the Bula. I'm sort of surprised that you appear to have deserted him, DO, as he was one you used to talk-up quite a lot, when he was handicapping.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 17th February 2018 at 1:26 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Defi and Peace and Co looked like champions in the making Jost emphasizes that huge Grand Canyon between Novices and Champion Hurding isn'
    t getting any smaller...
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Todays Kinwell should let Daryl Jacobs know whether Call Me Lord should run in the Champion Hurdle or not.

Unlike the race he won beating Our Merlin and Gassin Golf this is a bit of a test. Both beaten badly since

He would either have to win hard held with tons in hand or by half the track to be a serious contender.

His alternative is the Country but while L'ami Serge took that path Jacob has Sceau Royal in the Champion he has no other possible ride this time.

Ch'Tibello is no great shakes and wouldn't win a Champion Hurdle with a hurdle of a start but is still useful as is Elgin but well below what it takes.

Interesting race I would expect to have very little bearing on big one of any
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    What a bollox of a race that was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    FWIW, I think one of the value bets in the Champion Hurdle is John Constable in the 'Without Buveur' market. He is 25/1 in places for that, and rates a seriously good each-way bet, imo, given how close-up he ran in the Bula. I'm sort of surprised that you appear to have deserted him, DO, as he was one you used to talk-up quite a lot, when he was handicapping.
    I haven't deserted him, GH. I'm on him ew at 50/1 and am closely monitoring the market w/o BDA. I decided to wait until after this weekend to see how today's racing went in case it impacts on matters.

As for today's race? What a fvcking joke of a race. All the same, Cliffs Of Dover certainly had a workout!

Thanks
    Well on the bright side at least I'll have some refunds on the first day of the festival haha.

Might bloody need them the way things are going

Thanks
    Call me Lord paid the price for doing all the chasing down of Cliffs of Dover. Not to say CML is champion hurdle class, but certainly cost him today

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have mild concerns about Ch'tibello's constitution, I have to say. He really should have beaten TNO last time, though if they're trying a TT, there's maybe some other issue. Just a hint though, that he might not want a scrap.

I'm intrigued to see how COD runs. His form figures are impressive, no doubt, but he looks like a summer hurdler to me. He's never raced over hurdles on ground anywhere near this Soft, and you would have to think there's a good reason for that. The owners aren't starry-eyed muppets, and don't usually overface their horses, so perhaps this to see if he is/isn't Champion Hurdle level. He'll need to find about a stone on his previous best form, to even put himself in the picture for the race, I reckon.

n way will he run in the Champion Hurdle man.he'd be tailed off after 3 hurdles.........Evan Williams is on drugs if he declares him
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Do you ever look in the form-book Tanlic? Like, ever?

JC was beaten 4L in the Bula conceding 4lbs to the winner. He also put up a smart effort behind Boov in the Contenders last time out.....closer than any other horse has gotten to him in the last couple
    of season.

The bet is in the Without Buveir D’Air market. Please do start paying attention, and please do stop talking so much shite, there’s a good chap.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks

JC was beaten 4L in the Bula conceding 4lbs to the winner. He also put up a smart effort behind Boov in the Contenders last time out.....closer than any other horse has gotten to him in the last couple
    of season.

The bet is in the Without Buveir D’Air market. Please do start paying attention, and please do stop talking so much shite, there’s a good chap.
    He's also a better horse on a better surface so I think given good ground at the festival your right. The opposition in the without Boover market is utter crap. I think Melon is probably best of them now comsidering he shot his load before the Irish Champion doubt he'll be in headgear again on the day. I personally think JC is a fair shout. Can't remember whether it was Luke or Lee who's been touting MTOY in the without market but they'll hardly be shitting there selves after todays results.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I haven't deserted him, GH. I'm on him ew at 50/1 and am closely monitoring the market w/o BDA. I decided to wait until after this weekend to see how today's racing went in case it impacts on matters.
    Well, waiting patiently for this weekend's events hasn't paid off...

I've ended up taking the 20/1 w/o BDA to 1/4 odds. Hopefully he can finish in the first four of the race and cover all the bets.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

JC was beaten 4L in the Bula conceding 4lbs to the winner. He also put up a smart effort behind Boov in the Contenders last time out.....closer than any other horse has gotten to him in the last couple ROTFLMFAO!!!
    Are you kidding? The Bula has no resemblance on the Champion Hurdle and if you are beaten 4 lengths there because you can't go the pace then you have no chance in the big one.

Many many horses have ran well in the Bula before being beaten 20 lengths in the Champion Hurdle. If it meant anything The New One would have won a couple of Champion Hurdles by now.

As his trainer says the difference between winning the Swinton off 134 and running in a Champion Hurdle is massive. The difference between running round a race course with Buvi in first gear and running in the Champion Hurdle is night and day If there had been another runner such as Faugheen your horse would have been a hurdle behind. The owners might want to have a crack but I am pretty sure Davy Russell would rather watch it on TV than from up the arse of 7 or 8 horses

As for reading the form book his 2nd to Buvi got him a massive increase of a big fat zero on his OR that's how impressed the h'capper was.

Swinton Hurdle handicappers don't fair well in CH's I could be wrong but you may have to go back to Past Glories ridden by John Quinn to find a winner that was placed.

You guys with your Claa me lords Cliffs of Dover and John Constables are chancing your arm with horses who on form can't possibly be placed but good luck to you......

BTW Davy Russell will be hoping he can watch it on TV instead of looking up the arses of 6 or 7 horses
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I need him to finish top-four to collect.

Name three horses other than BDA who will finish in front of him.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Faugheen MTOY Melon Charli Parcs Elgin Identity Thief Wicklow Brave???? take your pick
    Last edited by Tanlic; 17th February 2018 at 8:16 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Charli Parcs my hole - much as it pains me to say it, last year’s juveniles have been exposed as useless.
    Elgin my hole - too hard a race today
    Identity Thief my hole - humped in Ireland today and basically a goner.
    Wicklow Brave wont even run

So I’ll get 13/2 or thereabouts to knock-out one of Faugheen, Melon or MTOY? I’m more than happy to take my chances, in that case.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 17th February 2018 at 8:30 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018