• Faugheen

10 32.26%
  • Other

4 12.90%
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2018 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Thought it would please you alright Nick.

Do you think he will win the big one?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too early to say, PJ, but there's plenty of reasons for optimism.

Buveur D'Air is a worthy favourite at this stage, but him apart, the rest of the division is weak (relatively speaking). Defi should have nothing to fear from the established UK 2m hurdlers, and I'd say he probably has even less to concern himself about, when it comes to graduating novices. The Irish challenge also looks quite thin - though Faugheen's return to the track might change that view.

Defi travels, jumps, quickens, goes on any ground, stands plenty of racing, will stay beyond 2m, and already has stacks of track form at Cheltenham. That is a much more attractive profile than most others I can think of, and I don't see any reason why he can't go right to the top, and give Buveur D'Air plenty to think about next season.

Now he is confirmed for a hurdling campaign, the 8/1 or so that's knocking about ante-post, is a fair price to get him onside early, I reckon.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 31st August 2017 at 7:52 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    JP will run them both so dutching them just now isn't a bad idea.

If only one makes it then the other one will be long odds on if both turn up unbeaten they will be 5/4 and 9/4...you can probably get better odds backing 2 AP than you can backing 1 on the day
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    In order to separate them which one is more likely to run at Kempton xmas? I'd guess Defi seeing as he'll have a cheltenham statue soon
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Defi wants a stiffer/more galloping track than Kempton, so I would personally send Buveur there for the Xmas Hurdle.

Defi will have won the Bula/International a couple of weeks beforehand, and will be on light-duties at Christmas as a result.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    It would be nice to see Philip Hobbs have a very good horse on his hands

He done all he had to as a juvenile last year but he has it all to prove again and some more

At least he isn't trained by Alan King

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Standard fare for a 4yo. You never really know until their tested in all-aged company........but Defi looks more than a cut above an average juvenile (to these rheumy eyes anyway), and I have high-hopes for him.

Re AK, I whole-heartedly concur!
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 31st August 2017 at 2:13 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Just give it to Buveur D'Air again please. I don't want to have to start spelling out to you all from Christmas on as to why he'll win it....again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Let's not forget the width of the Grand Canyon between TH and CH year after year the winners fail to make the grade,,,,Just saying
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    According to Matt Chapman in his Sun column today Faugheen is cantering away at home and pencilled in for the Morgiana Hurdle.

Thanks
    10 weeks tomorrow

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Let' hope Chapman is right but I remember this headline only to clearly "Annie Power and Faugheen set for Champion Hurdle clash"

No horse in Champion Hurdle histor has come back after such a long lay off and won a Champion Hurdle. Two did regain it but not after nearly 2 years off the track.

The problem as I see it is invariably most hurdlers who stand in their box for long periods of time lose their speed and Faugheen was all about speed
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not sure that Faugheen was ever about speed tbh, Tanlic. For me, he was all about relentless galloping at a higher-tempo than any other horse could sustain - he very rarely won with what you would call a turn-of-foot.

Clearly, it will take some performance for him to win a Champion Hurdle - especially so, given they're certain to go very steadily with him in any prep-races (would dearly love to take him on at a short-price at Punchestown). But the division isn't chock-full of superstars, and even if he returns a stone worse horse, there's probably only Buveur D'Air you would say is categorically better than that, at present. Stats are against him, as they were against the Fly, but he was an exceptional hurdler, and it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility, that he can regain his crown.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    He came back burly when in his pomp so can only imagine how gross the beast will be in 10 weeks.

if he doesn't flatter but is well in himself, I wouldn't rule out a step to 3 miles

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Not sure that Faugheen was ever about speed tbh, Tanlic. For me, he was all about relentless galloping at a higher-tempo than any other horse could sustain - he very rarely won with what you would call a turn-of-foot.
    disagree. not to go all ec1 on ya grass but iirc there were splits that suggested he had high speed at the business end of a 2 mile race. if you go back and watch his neptune and, moreso the champion hurdle, he puts the race to bed very swiftly at the turn in when ruby pushes the button. in the latter ruby went very steady on him throughout as he suspected he'd have the toe to burn them off when required, which he did.

i don't disagree he also had the engine needed if necessary in an end to end gallop.

if we can get him back to anything close to what he was it'll be great to see but it's hard to imagine it sadly.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Irish Field's pic of Faugheen on parade at The Curragh today

Attached Images Attached Images

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Aughex (11th September 2017), Carl (10th September 2017), granger (10th September 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

Clearly, it will take some performance for him to win a Champion Hurdle - especially so, given they're certain to go very steadily with him in any prep-races (would dearly love to take him on at a short-price at Punchestown). But the division isn't chock-full of superstars, and even if he returns a stone worse horse, there's probably only Buveur D'Air you would say is categorically better than that, at present. Stats are against him, as they were against the Fly, but he was an exceptional hurdler, and it's not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility, that he can regain his crown.
    Can't have that Grassy

You are confusing relentless gallop with a horse, who was so easy to settle for Ruby, being up there was the sensible way to go.......held up in front it's called and Ruby does it on any horse he can....why give others a start as I pointed out the other day

Cast your mind back to the Neptune when Ruby settled him back in 3rd or 4th not because he lacked to/acceleration but because he was a very easy horse to settle. Horse was half asleep for most of that race hence he clouted a couple

The toe he showed that day blows relentelss galloper out the window...when asked 2 out and as I have said many times re the Champion Hurdle the race is won and lost by either having or not having the ability to cope with the sudden change of pace (Injection of speed)

Faugheen could quicken on a sixpence and did so in both his Cheltenham wins
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cracking photo...Cheers
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Hopefully he has no mental scars from his day with the flat sissys

Thanks
    He must have had an inferiority complex bless him.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.