Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Recruits for the Winter Game

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

French Recruits for the Winter Game

Not withstanding Grassy’s threads re novice and juvenile animals for the forthcoming season proper, these are a few pieces of info posted by Jay from Final Flight Publications on Twitter re various French horses being sold to race in the UK.or Ireland which I’ve tidied up a bit to make them a bit more readable on here.

First is Apple's Shakira,who's a 3yo full sister to Apple's Jade. The filly ran just once in France and won it very well. being the exact race Apple's Jade won 2 years prior, very likely she'll be campaigned just like her sister in juvenile division over here. Probably gone to W.P.Mullins.

Next is Azua Emery, a 3yo filly who ran once in France in a bumper at Saumur over 2 miles, where she finished an encouraging second. The filly shares same sire and breeder as Cilaos Emery. With W.P.Mullins often recruiting horses with a similar profile to his successes, could be with him.

Chante Neige, the 3yo daughter of Martaline who ran once in France at Auteuil finishing 3rd. She was trained by the master Guillaume Macaire. Chante Neige ran with lots of promise on debut, jumped superb (will be a future chaser) and was beaten by two smart fillies on the day. A top prospect.Chante Neige has moved to Ireland. Mullins has bought 2 from Macaire fairly recently (Annamix & Burrows Saint), so a chance she's gone to WM.

Delire d'Estruval has now moved to Ben Pauling and is owned by Munir & Souede. Delire d'Estruval, was last seen motoring home at Auteuil to finish a very strong finishing runner up. The 4yo ran 3 times over hurdles in France and twice over fences. However, a note of caution. The winner set a very strong pace in race so was always going to susceptible to a runner up finishing like that.

Desiremoi d'Authie,the 4yo ran once in an AQPS flat race in the provinces. The son of Cachet Noir proved a class apart winning easily. Desiremoi d'Authie now moved to UK,the quality of the field he beat was average, but he won easily and it was only his debut. Could be smart.

Dissavril,a 4yo ran twice in France ,both were AQPS flat races. She finished 4th on an encouraging debut and 2nd next time out 4 months later running second to a top prospect who'd have provided a form boost next time out had he sadly not gone wrong at end of race. Dissavril has now moved to the UK. The daughter of Balko has shown plenty of potential and should improve going jumping, is a nice prospect.
    Potensis now own the Mullins French mare Holiday Winner. Sullivan is backing Willie significantly it seems! The 4yo was a €110k purchase.

Now confirmed on HRI that Real Steel is owned by Jared Sullivan(Potensis) and will therefore be with Mullins.Real Steel finished 5th,2nd & 7th in his flat races, which were in 2016. He didn't achieve much on the level, but his 2nd was to Divin Bere. An exciting novice hurdler! Real Steel made a superb hurdling debut at Compiegne, where he finished a close runner up to Izzo, who has more than franked the form since The fact Real Steel came second was a positive as it means he's still a novice hurdler, Real Steel looks the type who needs 2m 4f or above.

Interesting to see Lac Kivu's owner has a new horse in Ireland ,assume he's with Willie too. He's a 4yo unraced FR horse now called Imperial Grey.

Next is Risk and Roll, the 3yo gelding ran once in France at Auteuil in a listed hurdle race where he came 4th. He was trained by Gallorini. Risk and Roll made an encouraging debut, took well to jumping for most part, stayed on well at end but did not have speed to win over 1m 6f. As far as I'm aware, Risk and Roll now moved to Paul Nicholls (not definite). Last year, Nicholls also recruited Dolos from the exact race.

Pageburg, the 3yo ran once in FR, which was an AW race on flat. The son of Sageburg won very nicely on debut. Pageburg should make a smart juvenile hurdler. Providing he can stay the distance, he could be very hard to peg back with his turn of foot. Pageburg is now owned by Munir & Souede, and is in training with Alan King.

Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 25th June 2017 at 9:25 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (25th June 2017), Beef or Salmon (25th June 2017), Carl (25th June 2017), Colin Phillips (25th June 2017), Desert Orchid (25th June 2017), edgt (25th June 2017), Grasshopper (26th June 2017), Perpetual (25th June 2017), swedish chef (18th July 2017), viking (25th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    That guy is some source of knowledge.

one problem I find is that most of them aren't in the tracker database so can't get updates on them
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    2yo Flinteur Sacre, brother of Sprinter Sacre, up for sale in France on Wednesday 5th, expect a strong British and Irish presence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (4th July 2017)

Thanks
    I don't get this buying game, apologies for the lack of knowledge.

One question. Why would Mullins buy the horses? I thought syndicates and players like Rich Ricci bought them and then sent them off to the trainers?

Thanks
    Harold Kirk & Pierre Boulard buy Willie's horse in France

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but think Willie then offers them to the owner he thinks they'll suit best and they all seem to find a home...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    Harold Kirk & Pierre Boulard buy Willie's horse in France

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but think Willie then offers them to the owner he thinks they'll suit best and they all seem to find a home...
    Maybe the owners give him a mandate to find them these horses? I can't imagine WPM buys them himself with a "for sale" sign on them?
    Last edited by harry; 5th July 2017 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    2yo Flinteur Sacre, brother of Sprinter Sacre, up for sale in France on Wednesday 5th, expect a strong British and Irish presence.
    125k euro to Horse Racing Advisory (bloodstock agent).
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Bought for J.P.McManus

Thanks
    Looks absolutely nothing like his brother.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Demopolis, who won on his debut at Auteuil in May in the JP silks,has now moved over here probably to Martinstown before a trainer is decided.A nice juvenile prospect.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Certainly, Demopolis' Auteuil run was quite taking.

Whilst the form of that race hasn't really been tested (as you might expect), a small string-man would put Demopolis around the same level as Tunis and Equichier Royale at this stage....which would be reasonably smart, but probably nothing Earth-shattering. If the horse was sent to Mullins, I would take note, but I might be inclined to oppose him at a short price in the right type of race, if he was sent elsewhere. For whatever reason, WPM seems to get more improvement from young French recruits, than any of his peers.

FWIW, Demopolis jumped the last in front on his debut (travelled-well), was quickly all-out, briefly headed, and then fought-back to win in the last stride. That was over 16f, and there is every chance he will be best at distances beyond 20f. He is by Poliglote, who is very-much an influence for stamina, and the Triumph might be insufficient a test for him (assuming that is the intended target).
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 17th July 2017 at 2:07 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (17th July 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    Maybe the owners give him a mandate to find them these horses? I can't imagine WPM buys them himself with a "for sale" sign on them?
    I think plenty of trainers buy horses themselves, before selling them onto owners, syndicates etc.

These are different types to Mullins, who will go to some of the Sales with a specific buying-remit from a wealthy owner. I'm guessing really, but I suspect Ricci probably sets-out the type of horse he is after (itself driven in-part by the types of race he wants to win), the number of horses he wants to purchase, and the amount of money he wants to spend. Mullins then operates within that framework, but with the option to consult Ricci beforehand, if he wants to go outside those agreed parameters e.g. bid beyond the limit set.

But in most cases, I think the speculative buying/selling of horses is still a source of income that complements fees, for most run-of-the-mill trainers.

If anyone is interested in knowing how to make money at this particular dodge - commonly known as pin-hooking - then simply place your washing machine on a small gurney, and wheel it past Frank Berry's gate whilst he is trimming the hedge. He'll immediately give you two-hundred-grand, and try to win the Supreme with it.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 18th July 2017 at 8:52 AM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Are you looking to get the rights to the Frank Berry book Nick?

Good synopsis of the Operation
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Kieran & Charlie are the ones who source the French recruits.

Frank purely operations these days.

Thanks
    Sao, half brother to Frodon, has joined the Nicholls camp, first day riding out today

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re the purchase of horses, a small Munster based trainer arrived at the hotel beside Goffs late one night during the sales looking for a room but all were taken.
    Into the bar he went where his colleagues were gathered asking if anyone had a spare bed.
    Tom Costello came to his rescue.
    In their room Tom asked his roommate if he had bought anything yet: he had not.
    "You should always buy something !" said Tom " because if you do not buy then you have nothing to sell "
    With that Tom knelt by his bed and said his night prayers before sleeping soundly.
    Roommate thought this unnecessary duplication as there were so many people already praying for Tom !

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

granger (20th July 2017), Grasshopper (20th July 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Sao, half brother to Frodon, has joined the Nicholls camp, first day riding out today
    Given the lack of Grade 1 horses at Ditcheat, one of these novices better come good at some stage

Thanks
    Deal d'Estruval has moved to Mullins to be owned by the Ricci's

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair efforts in three runs in minor races for Guillaume Macaire, without winning. His profile is not entirely unlike those of Vautour and Douvan, at the same stage in their careers.*

* Word of caution. It's not entirely unlike Senewalk's either.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Dalko Moriviere is going to leave France, will be trained in Ireland. Only 4yo but by some accounts an exciting chasing prospect.