Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017/18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sensible decision, I reckon....though they seem to have stopped-short of confirming it absolutely as the target.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Fine fine horse - hope he gets a swansong of some sort this term anyway

What a golden age

Him, Sprinter and erm my old boy Flemenstar
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks

Cheltenham 2017/18

Really looking forward to this years festival as it’ll be the first one I’ll have attended in 5 years. The wife’s contract in work was rejigged a bit so it now means she starts back in late March instead of early March. This should remain the case for the foreseeable future so it means I’ll get to cross the Irish Sea in March more often!! God bless her boss!!

We have 2 young kids aged 5 & 1 so the past few festivals have been geared around trying to hold them out all morning before going down for their first nap of the day at 1.20pm!!

I’m only doing the Tuesday & Wednesday this year as I don’t want to take the **** straight away. When the youngest gets that bit older I can stretch it out again!!

Booked my flights, €36 return from Dublin to Birmingham. My accommodation is in the Jersey Avenue area of Cheltenham which looks ideally situated and my tickets too. Bought Club tickets for the Tuesday & Club & Guinness Grandstand tickets for the Wednesday. Has anyone ever been in the Guinness Stand before? What’s it like? Also anytime I’ve been before I’ve always done Tatterstalls. Is the only difference in Club tickets a more central view & more bars facilities etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kauto Abu; 30th October 2017 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Jersey Avenue is about a twenty minute walk from the racecourse. The Guiness Stand is in front of the final two fences a fair way down from the winning post but you will have the benefit of a big screen right in front of you. The Guiness village will be right behind your stand so food and drink readily available.Club is where the members lawn is and basically, as you say, just central with more facilities. There will be bookies in front of you on the tarmac too, so no need to go to the top end of Tatts for a bet.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 30th October 2017 at 11:54 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Kauto Abu (30th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks DG. My line of thinking was that with the Guinness Grandstand you have a reserved seat. Between sculling Guinness & walking and on the feet all day that may be welcomeIt’s nice to have the option to sit down now and then. Big screen will be fine, in the Tatterstalls you’d end up watching it a lot also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Cue Card to get his swansong at the Ryanair
    Who'll be met with Douvan. Absouelty convinced they'll send Min after Altior. Won't step Douvan up to Gold Cup distance just yet and we'll be playing bingo before they confirm the Ryanair on the Tuesday.

Thanks
    Ricci should lay his cards out on the table and say he wants a GC winner
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Ricci should lay his cards out on the table and say he wants a GC winner
    Unless he buys Might Bite he won't have a winner in 2018 anyway.

Thanks
    If he pulled the same shenanigans as he did last March, he'll have a hell of a lot more than Whisper to beat up the hill

Thanks
    Not worried about that. One of the possible or even imo probable reasons MB veered so sharply right after the last in the RSA (we can of course nix the idea that it was tiredness) was that where the horses enter the course was right there on his right - he simply wanted back in his stable. On the new course though that entrance is a fair but further away and hopefully out of his eyeline.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Old Course for the RSA is taped-off on the first circuit, but the tape is removed for the final circuit........which is exactly where The Biter started to veer off course.....which we all know he only did to a) wind-up Davy Russell, and b) give me a fu*cking coronary.

I'd have more confidence in MB's Gold Cup chances, if I knew there wasn't a gap for him to try to bugger-off through, on the final circuit of the Gold Cup. He's the only conceivable danger to The Dook, and the pair are good for the forecast. Big new brooms, both.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Media Guide for The Open Meeting a week today

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/T...id=ilgoKdZp7aw

Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (15th November 2017)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (15th November 2017)

Thanks
    On local radio last night, Simon Claisse, Ben Pauling and Nico De Boinville discussing the forthcoming November Meeting at Cheltenham,haven't heard it so no idea if it's worth a listen or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05n3ymb

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Kauto Abu (15th November 2017)

Thanks
    Latest going

Attached Images Attached Images

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (16th November 2017), Perpetual (16th November 2017)

Thanks
    Christmas card scene taken yesterday afternoon. Photo credit to Melissa Jones.

Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 12th December 2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added Turftrax

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th December 2017), Grasshopper (12th December 2017), NewApproach (12th December 2017), wilsonl (12th December 2017)

Thanks
    Most of Cheltenham Racecourse is covered in snow but officials do not anticipate any problems ahead of the International Meeting with temperatures forecast to rise.
    Conditions for Friday and Saturday are expected to be testing as around 25 millimetres of the white stuff melts onto the grass.
    Areas of worn ground are protected by covers with the remainder left for nature to take its course, with the grass doing its job to protect what's underneath.
    Current assessments make conditions good to soft, soft in places and temperatures are expected to remain cold today and tomorrow.

Up to eight millimetres of rain is expected to fall on Thursday, adding to the 12 millimetres overnight on Saturday into Sunday.

After a bleak time for much of Gloucestershire on the snow front, the forecast suggests Cheltenham should be sunny on Friday with temperatures of 4C. It is due to remain dry on Saturday when it is due to be a little warmer.

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse said: "We have about 25 millimetres of snow, most of which is sitting on the grass.
    "Where we raced on the Old course in October and November, where it intersects with the New course has been covered.
    "We don't need to do this in other areas as grass cover is a better insulator.
    "It is due to stay cold today and tomorrow then rain is expected on Thursday.
    "Conditions will get softer.
    "Based on the current forecast we are confident the meeting will go ahead."
    Friday marks the fifth annual 'Horse Comes First' raceday, and Cheltenham is one of the tracks raising awareness among families and racegoers of the first class care given to horses during and after their racing careers.
    Tickets are available from £10 and various hospitality options can be booked for both days of the International Meeting.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If someone would be kind enough to post the International/Bula entries when they're confirmed, I would very-much appreciate it..............Roger.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    No Defi Du Seuil if that's what you're after Grassy ?

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards...7-12-16/689472
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 12th December 2017 at 12:52 PM.