Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017/18

Thanks
    I was booked in to hospitality on the Thursday and remember seeing on the BBC news on Tuesday night a tent destroyed by high winds. Got a call on Wednesday morning confirming what I’d thought - it was ours. Fortunately management worked wonders and got everyone redistributed so was there for the bonanza card on Thursday. A great day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I could cry at the thought of being on Waiting Patiently ante-post at 25/1 for the Mackeson off just 150
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (21st February 2018), Kauto Abu (21st February 2018)

Thanks
    Here's the full list of novice entries

http://files.constantcontact.com/205...4f1328185a.pdf

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perpetual For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (21st February 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom but is there a chance the festival could be postponed due to extreme frost and snow?

My long-range weather forecast is for it to be very cold in general with heavy snow in the area for the first weekend in March then sub-zero temperatures for a couple of weeks after that.

This ties in with the LRF I got in early November when it said the second half of winter could be colder than average due to La Niña happening on the other side of the world.
    Tellt yiz.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/chel...ld-snap/320415

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    My LRF still says heavy snow around the first weekend in March then freezing hard.

The silver lining - rainbow, even - is that the temperatures are forecast to rise during Cheltenham week then fall again for a couple of weeks after.

I hope they shovel off any snow that does fall rather than let it melt into the ground.

Thanks

Thanks
    Fingers crossed they're right!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The worry is that low temperatures will affect grass growth and then a very little rain , 10mm could change going to bottomless with no skin /grass cover as happened Bobsworth and Coneygree years.
    Luckily that happened Friday but were it to rain earlier in the week there could be punter carnage.

Thanks
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom but is there a chance the festival could be postponed due to extreme frost and snow?

My long-range weather forecast is for it to be very cold in general with heavy snow in the area for the first weekend in March then sub-zero temperatures for a couple of weeks after that.

This ties in with the LRF I got in early November when it said the second half of winter could be colder than average due to La Niña happening on the other side of the world.
    Fill your boots Ladbrokes are 16/1 that any 1 day of the festival is postposted due to the weather

Thanks
    I can't say I've filled my boots but a fun tenner could cover the week's beer*.

I think the course works too hard for a day to be postponed but it does look like being colder than in archie's sources through to Cheltenham week itself when it looks chilly but not cold enough to cause disruption.

We should have bright, cold weather for the duration as part of a decent dry spell so the going should be perfect, which is an excellent prospect after the bog-slogs of this winter.

*Edit - I've just remembered it's during Lent and I'm off the bevy so the beer will need to be stored until Easter Sunday...
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 22nd February 2018 at 9:58 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    Fill your boots Ladbrokes are 16/1 that any 1 day of the festival is postposted due to the weather
    Is that NRNB ?
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

littlelad (23rd February 2018), moehat (23rd February 2018), Outsider (23rd February 2018)

Thanks

We should have bright, cold weather for the duration as part of a decent dry spell so the going should be perfect, which is an excellent prospect after the bog-slogs of this winter.

I am thinking the ground might be difficult to predict. Surely they will cover the full course from this weekend with the exception of the cross country and it could remain covered for some while, maybe someone with experience of terrain could suggest what We could expect after soft ground has been covered for 7-10 days.

Thanks

I think the course works too hard for a day to be postponed but it does look like being colder than in archie's sources through to Cheltenham week itself when it looks chilly but not cold enough to cause disruption.

*Edit - I've just remembered it's during Lent and I'm off the bevy so the beer will need to be stored until Easter Sunday...
    If you check back with the Accuweather link, it says that it will be coldest on the 1st, gradually warming up to around average temperatures by the 6th and cool and damp for the week itself. All the media doom merchants talking about significant snow actually mean the eastern side of the country if you look at the detail and, quite frankly, who cares about them.

Thanks
    I was looking at a site relating specifically to Cheltenham.

Even the BBC last night was talking about significant snow in the area. Can't recall now whether it was for this weekend or early next week.

The original forecast I had was for that snow next weekend so things are maybe happening a wee bit faster.

The site itself has got me three winning bets from five regarding a White Christmas (9/2, 9/4 and 100/30), backed a month in advance.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 23rd February 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    The only snow on the BBC forecast is next Friday and described as light and 33% chance.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

archie (23rd February 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My old pal Charli Parcs has been swimming and been on the water treadmill so he misses the Kempton gallops with Buvi and co

He will also miss the Imperial Gold Cup as the ground may still be soft and that extra wee could make all the difference to him getting good ground

He is unlikely to be JP's 3rd string for the Champion Hurdle unless a couple were to come out so the County looks to be his target

I'm having some as off 144 he has more than a fair chance of winning
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll have a hard job finishing in front of John Constable in the Champion, if he's running in the County.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 23rd February 2018 at 8:16 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018