Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dante meeting at York

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dante meeting at York

The flat action gets more interesting at York this week.

One of the best bets at the likely odds on Wednesday is Tim Easterby's Golden Apollo in the 4:35.

This chap is nicely bred by Cheveley Park stud, and was never very far away at the finish as a two year old.

He was third in a red-hot maiden at Ayr, behind a very promising Andrew Balding horse called Naval Warfare, who looks sure to improve on its rating of 84 when we next see him out.

The first three from that Ayr race all came out and won, including Golden Apollo, who finished his two year old career nicely with a well-deserved success at Doncaster on just his second start in a handicap.

It's his first start as a three year old, but if you assume he's ready to roll, I reckon he's very well handicapped.

I'm looking forward to seeing what price they go on him.
    Last edited by Marb; 15th May 2017 at 1:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

jackie (15th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Came past the course this morning and plenty of rain about; more forecast too, so I doubt there'll be any firm in the ground.
    Magical Memory appeals in the DOY initially.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Marb (15th May 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Golden Apollo's last win was on gd-fm, but being by Pivotal he would be okay on softer going wouldn't he?
    Last edited by Marb; 15th May 2017 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks
    My favourite meeting of the year. First time I'm not going in 15 years as too busy at work. Gutted.

Marb I will check if there is any word from the yard through an old contact who had horses with Easterby, yard not been too good though recently?

Will be good to soft/soft come Wednesday as it has rained all day today.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Part time punter For This Useful Post:

Marb (15th May 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cheers PTP. Yeah I've been on more winners at this place than other meetings down the years. If it was good-soft Lincoln would have a good each way chance in the sprint handicap as he's won on this going a few times.
    Last edited by Marb; 15th May 2017 at 2:32 PM.

Thanks
    The DOY looks hot. I like The Tin Man but not first time out with a pen. Brando is overrated but can't see the horse to oppose him with.

Interested to see an old favourite Oasis Fantasy now with one of my favourite trainers and how he'll do.

I thought gambles on shithouse Stoute 3yos were a thing of the past. Obviously not. I'll punt Rekindling in the Dante, has the Group form.

Big Orange is overpriced in the Yorkshire Cup.

Thanks
    2.20 Wed.
    Speed Company appeared not to handle the camber in the City And Suburban, but finished with a rattle in the circumstances. Ryan Moore retains the faith on this flatter track and the ground won't be a problem. Worth a bet at the current 10/1 4 places.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (16th May 2017)

Thanks
    Sorry Marb, couldn't get anything worthwhile re Golden Apollo, stock answer of 'fit and well, will come on for the run'. Totally your call.

One horse I have my eye on tomorrow is Repercussion in the first. Yard in hot form, 4 from 4 last five days. This horse was bought from France having won beating plenty of subsequent winners before coming second to a horse that won a listed fillies event in France next time out. Repercussion was then given a tune up last month over a mile beaten five lengths but staying on. Up in trip no surprise and I think will out run it's current odds.

I also like George Bowen in the 1455 tomorrow for Fahey. 11lb lower than this meeting last year and he was complaining last year in his column on sportinglife that the horse needed handicapper to relent and gradually been coming down. In his stable tour he said horse was working well at home and will be targeted at some big 7f handicaps.

Another of Fahey's I like is Senator. Was very green on first two wins/runs last year and was found out a bit at Listed level when didn't settle that well. May well need the run but has been gelded, going to chance it each way given it won first time out last year.

Tasleet in the Duke of York is taking my fancy but not gone through the card fully.

Thanks
    Repercussion into 14s from 20s with sky bet, wasn't my money making that difference!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Part time punter View Post
    Repercussion into 14s from 20s with sky bet, wasn't my money making that difference!
    Now 15/2

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Marb, couldn't get anything worthwhile re Golden Apollo, stock answer of 'fit and well, will come on for the run'. Totally your call
    I am sticking with him each way PTP. I think its a value price. From looking at statistics, Pivotals offspring improve for cut in the ground so Gd-St should be fine. Good luck to everyone having a flutter tomorrow.
    Last edited by Marb; 16th May 2017 at 7:51 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    PS, there's 17 runners declared in the 4:35 so its a quarter the odds the first four places. I really hope we don't see mass non runners.
    Last edited by Marb; 16th May 2017 at 8:21 PM.

Thanks
    Going there tomorrow, been lashing it down practically last 2 days here in Leeds. So that's a few that I would have preferred ruled out, more rain forecast tomorrow but i got lucky and invited to share a box thank f*k. Can't go too far wrong with Fahey Easterby and Haggs on their stomping ground in much less than ideal conditions but which bloody ones 😣

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Think Magical Memory's chance has gone with the rainfall.
    Doubt Brando is overrated; his mark appears genuine on both form and time; but he's 5/2 and (imo)it's a no-brainer to take the 14/1 Growl, who beat him fair and square in the Champion Sprint. Has more to find on their Ayr GC run, but it's not hard to believe he's found it since for the addition of cheekpieces. Both appear equally adept on the ground.
    Last edited by reet hard; 17th May 2017 at 2:28 AM.

SlimChance
    Been out for a walk in York town. It's not raining but there is a constant mist falling and there is no signs of it letting up. The ground will be soft.

Thanks
    Enjoy the day Slim. You got any thoughts on Bolger's vociferous marina? Shutter speed way too short to get involved with and I like the look of VM last race?

SlimChance
    Enjoy the day Slim. You got any thoughts on Bolger's vociferous marina? Shutter speed way too short to get involved with and I like the look of VM last race?
    I'd nearly back it blind. The rule 4 would be in your favour if the favourite doesn't run.

Thanks
    That was my thinking and there is a chance it is the better horse anyway. Have a good day!

SlimChance
    That was my thinking and there is a chance it is the better horse anyway. Have a good day!
    Probably best to bet it e/w that way at worst it's a breakeven bet but with loads of upside.

Thanks
    Was looking at the other cards and note Stevie Don goes from riding repercussion in the first to ride two nags at Bath tonight that look to have little chance on paper. I'm going in again each way on Repercussion.

I am taking Tasleet in the Duke of York. I like the fact it is a seven furlong horse dropping to 6f with the ground softening, albeit don't think it will get any softer as looking at the weather here. Haggas' horses always have to be respected here which is why I am also backing Battered later on the card with Ryan Moore up.

Flying Pursuit along with George Bowen (not a great draw) in the 1455.

Chancery worth a token bet also.