Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Racing Rant Thread

Thanks
    The paucity of even half decent midweek NH racing during the winter months, notwithstanding the Christmas period.

Pricewise. Nothing against the man personally I should add.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As an avid non-buyer of the RP, and an avid non-watcher of terrestrial racing coverage, is Pricewise still relevant?

Does the Pricewise horse still shift markedly on a Saturday, once it's in the public domain? Serious question.

The lack of imagination in Jumps race-planning is another irritant of mine, though I would say it falls short of the 'rant' criteria.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Not all of the time like it used to Grass but it can still have a profound effect.

The market will normally correct itself near the off but what grates is the reaction of the bookies who start cutting the horses in expectation of the plunge. Granted this is coupled with punters trying to predict what he'll put up and nick a price but regardless, the whole concept is bollox, outdated and annoys the feck out of me.

You only have to look at Oddschecker around 7:00 pm to get a fair indication of what he'll be putting up.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    Uneducated bullshit spouted by so called pundits about betting. For example "the favourite's a short price so I'm going to look for some value elsewhere" - like a bigger price automatically equates to value.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Could probably fill a couple of pages on this thread myself.

The lengths ATR will go to to stop viewers having a sight of the horses before they go in the stalls (seems especially prevalent when the race is for un-exposed horses). God forbid that a punter might get a clue that he/she could use to get the better of the 'bookmaker'.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Fashion on RTE racing - who gives a flying fock

Gok Wan appeared on either ITV or CH4 - it was vile

Lack of HD picture on ATR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    Total and utter ban on all Betfair yellow scarfs .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The whole concept of the battle between Punter and bookie at the big festivals - one must win and one must lose

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Stable staff being given a poxy photo frame EVERY time for their prize no matter how big the race! Why can't they have a scaled down version of the owner's trophy as the trainer & jockey often get? When I was in the US, the winning groom for the Kentucky Derby got a brand new truck for a year! (great sponsorship opportunity for a car dealership too!)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    As a middle aged miserable **** I could also fill the 100 easily as well

Here’s a few:

British racing folk (especially NH trainers) saying "the last day" (fine if you’re Irish)

lack of a NH break after Punchestown/Whitbread day

(1 per post please.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    The experience of going racing [in Britain] spoiled by:

· Grossly expensive admission charges
    · Courses pandering to the lad/ette element, selling a day out to them as an excuse for getting dressed up like they were going to My Big Fat Wedding
    · Not being able to get about the course in peace for said pished lad/ettes
    · Cramped odds with on-course bookmakers
    · Grossly expensive food at catering outlets
    Last edited by an capall; 11th May 2017 at 2:23 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Dessie Scahill & Tony O'Hehir just incompetent. Time to put him out to grass.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Over-vigorous stewarding by unpleasant people wearing high visibility apparel at British racecourses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Geoff Banks
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Geoff Banks

Thanks
    Names such as Rebelion Boy which are presumably misspelt through error rather than design but never get corrected.

SlimChance
    I'm going to York next week for 3 days because the racecourse, company and racing is all top quality but what the **** is it with the poncey dress code? BrianH jumped on me two years ago for fear of being shot by a racecourse Nazi for trying to remove my jacket in a relative heat wave on the Champagne lawn before racing. Every prick in York wearing a suit like they're ******* Tony Soprano. **** right off, I've more money in my ******* shoe you Yorkshire ****.
    Last edited by SlimChance; 11th May 2017 at 4:26 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    I'm going to York next week for 3 days because the racecourse, company and racing is all Top quality but what the **** is it with the poncey dress cod? BrianH jumped on me two years ago for fear of being shot by a racecourse Nazi for trying to remove my jacket in a relative heat wave on the Champagne lawn before racing. Every prick in York wearing a suit like they're ******* Tony Soprano. **** right off, I've more money in my ******* shoe you Yorkshire ****.
    Glad to see you've taken the rant element of the theme to heart...

In seriousness it does totally wind me up being made to wear a jacket in hot weather. Basically a form of torture.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    Glad to see you've taken the rant element of the theme to heart...

In seriousness it does totally wind me up being made to wear a jacket in hot weather. Basically a form of torture.
    Tamleek e/w will do that to you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    I'm going to York next week for 3 days because the racecourse, company and racing is all top quality but what the **** is it with the poncey dress code? BrianH jumped on me two years ago for fear of being shot by a racecourse Nazi for trying to remove my jacket in a relative heat wave on the Champagne lawn before racing. Every prick in York wearing a suit like they're ******* Tony Soprano. **** right off, I've more money in my ******* shoe you Yorkshire ****.