Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lincoln

Thanks

The Lincoln

I was impressed by Lord Glitters last year - he will do for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know a few who was emailed this from peter naughton at 16/1.

My choices are WHAT A STORY 25/1 caught my eye at doncaster at doncaster winning over 7f on soft.impressed me.
    Up 8lb for that and ran 3rd in january.obviously didnt want to win that and get put up again.runs off a mark of 92.
    Trained by Keith Dalgeish.

The other one is Lord Glitters stablemate Bravery who won it last year and is 5lb lower.25/1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    I'll never forget last year. Bravery cost me the guts of 5k ''twas a sickener moore couldn't complete the Yankee for me and no doubt many other punters. I'm gonna throw a dart at one of faheys say another touch at 25-1.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

That's it then; job sorted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    That's it then; job sorted.

Well a stopped clock is right twice a day .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Not convinced lord glitters will even run now,been drying out for best part of 8/9 days by Saturday can't see it running on anything quicker than gd/sft,softer the better for it won't run on quicker ground..

Thanks
    Trainer has said the opposite giggs he doesn't want him running off a big weight in really soft ground in case it bottoms him out ( piece is on ATR ). He's entered in another race on the card though.

Sorry it brief I'm at work.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    All its form is on soft ground and its best run was when it won at ascot and the race was slow by over 7 seconds made up ground from impossible position,anything faster than gd/sft I can't see it running to form..it obviously loves desperate ground even if trainer doesn't want him running on it that could just be because its first time out and he hasn't had a winner in 70+ runs..
    Last edited by gigilo; 21st March 2018 at 3:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Dunno, Giggs; the horse ran a blinder - over an inadequate trip - on his debut for the stable, on Ascot ground the RP timed as g/s.
    I live not too far from Donny and - all but a few sheltered spots - the snow's virtually disappeared already. The forecast's for drying ground, with light rain for Friday evening/Saturday morning, and there looks every chance he'll run; given those circumstances. D. O'M clearly thinks he's group class, but a gelding, and would earn more for winning this than he would most gp2's later.
    Having said all that, I'm intrigued by the early booking of Ryan Moore for Fire Brigade. He's ridden the Haggas' 2nd fav on his last 2 outings, so FB must be showing plenty at home. A real danger, imo, though your selection might do him for toe.
    Last edited by reet hard; 21st March 2018 at 7:55 AM.

Thanks
    Edited. Re written further down.
    Last edited by Danny; 21st March 2018 at 5:14 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I actually cast an eye over the race as I only caught the last few weeks of last season on the flat so I thought I'd better at least make a start trying to get my brain to switch codes. The first one that caught my eye was Donncha. 3rd in this last year fto off a mark of 100 and 2nd the year before off 97. Back here off 97 and 25/1 ? I suppose last year considering 3 of the first 4 were 3 of the backmarkers at the 2 pole so perhaps the form is flattering somewhat. Donncha was really finishing to good effect but it was all a bit late in the day.....no prizes for guessing the man in the saddle on that occasion. I'd imagine he'd probably bump into one again that's a bit more progressive but at the price you could probably place bet only at a similar price as you can back the market leaders to win and I'd think the former would be the better bet. Who knows though maybe with AA booked who is no stranger to landing big prizes at Doncaster it could be Third Time Lucky...apologies for the tedious link but that may lead you to a decent priced shout in the Spring Mile.
    What is depressing is that the race is worth less than in 2009 yet Arc Can find enormous amounts of cash to throw at its tedious AW championships handicaps.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    Not convinced lord glitters will even run now,been drying out for best part of 8/9 days by Saturday
    Didn't have you down as a drinker, gigilo
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Didn't have you down as a drinker, gigilo
    Havn't had a drink for 7 years unfortunately,with health problems only makes me feel unwell with the medications to have to take me and my partner havn't been out for a nightout since..Fire brigades 6/1 and think some of that is because lord glitters not going to run,on betfair 12/1 now 7/1 with books yesterday was around 13/2 on betfair.If it doesn't run Saturday you won't even see it till the autumn.
    Last edited by gigilo; 21st March 2018 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    No offence intended, gigilo
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    No offence intended, gigilo
    No offence at all fella,would love to have a drink and a night out am determined at some point through the summer going to have a night out with my partner daughters 16 soon so can look after herself,want to go racing again as well get some fresh air..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

My choices are WHAT A STORY 25/1 caught my eye at doncaster at doncaster winning over 7f on soft.impressed me.
    Up 8lb for that and ran 3rd in january.obviously didnt want to win that and get put up again.runs off a mark of 92.
    Trained by Keith Dalgeish.

The other one is Lord Glitters stablemate Bravery who won it last year and is 5lb lower.25/1
    Won't get in to the Lincoln I should have thought - interestingly though the RP card shows Ryan Moore having been booked for What A Story in the Spring Mile .
    Last edited by Ardross; 21st March 2018 at 2:07 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ardross For This Useful Post:

Outsider (22nd March 2018)

Thanks
    I've just wrote a place for my place it repeats some of the above so apologies for that but I thought it might be of interest so I'll copy it over.

Saturday 24th March

The Lincoln and the Spring Mile

So I thought it best I cast my eye over these 2 races as we start to put our brains into flat mode.

The first one to catch my eye in the Lincoln from a value point of view is Donncha 25/1. Third in last years event doing all his best work at the finish but all to late...no prizes for guessing who was in the saddle on that occasion That was off a mark of 100. The year before he went even closer just being beaten a neck into second off a mark of 97 and that is the mark he will line up off on Saturday. Both times he came to the race first time out as he does this year I can see no reason why he won't run a big race again this time around. You could say last years form was slightly flattering as 3 of the first 4 home were probably the 3 back markers at the 2 pole so they'd obviously gone off too fast in front but even so Donncha should run a big race here from 3lb lower. The most likely scenario is that he'd bump into one or two more progressive types and perhaps the place bet only represents the better value however with Atzeni set to be jocked up he's no stranger to lifting big prizes at this venue so perhaps he may just be able to coax him into the winners enclosure and make it Third time lucky.

Apologies for the tedious link but it is Third Time Lucky who catches my eye for the spring mile (although he too may squeeze in to the Lincoln but it looks doubtful) . No prices as yet but I'd expect that he'd go largely unnoticed. Since being well beaten in the Lincoln Last year he has been kept to All weather surfaces. His record on the All weather 1/13 with three, 3rd place finishes. His record on turf 5/17 with three, 2nd's and one, 3rd place finish. His last 6 efforts on turf have come off marks of 100 or over and there have been some fine efforts in defeat. 4th in the Cambridgeshire and solid very close efforts in big Ascot and York handicaps. The most disappointing effort on turf was probably in the Lincoln last year where he was off 106 and travelled far to keenly on the front end and as said in the Lincoln analysis above the front runners had gone off too fast and fell in a heap and he was the worst offender. For the most part of the winter he's looked a non jigger until the weights came out for this. He had one try in headgear where he went off like a scalded cat. However the first signs of life came in the Lincoln trial at Wolverhampton where he didn't get into a good position pulled hard but finished very tidily indeed. Given that all his best form has come on straight tracks and given he's run so well at Wolverhampton with its sharp bend when not really getting the run of the race I think he might just be ripening up for this. Back here off a mark of 97 only 2lb higher than his Cambridgeshire win and 9lb lower than what he attempted the Lincoln off and first try back on turf since. Very interesting runner if they can get him settled in behind runners here and just keep a a lid on him then I fancy him to go very close at quite a price.

Just to mention that the case I've made for Donncha could quite as easily be made for Gabrial who dropped out last year (although he's made a habit of doing so) and has also eased to a workable mark. Also Last years Winner Bravery who won't make the cut this year but could quite possibly go well in the Spring Mile. Overall though I'd be a bit wary of taking last years form at face value but wouldn't be surprised to see any of the above run a big race.

I might have a more in depth look at the races once decs are out just to keep the cogs turning.

Last edited by broadsword; Today at 04:09 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Outsider (21st March 2018)

Thanks
    Was a huge advantage to be drawn low at Donny in the Lincoln and spring mile last season,it just happens that bravery and donncha ran unbelievable races from their draws only two horses that ran well drawn near side,donnchas my cliff horse as I put it up most of the runs last season and for that Lincoln.It should've won at ascot off 100 when finished 9th was cantering and stopped in run in October 2016,looked on downgrade end of season although only had 25 runs at age of 7 could run well after a break.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gigilo For This Useful Post:

Danny (22nd March 2018)

Thanks
    Just realised another of my night shift fog mistakes I thought I'd read that third time lucky was number 35 on the list...he's number 25... doh ! Much more likely to get a run in the Lincoln but at the prices I don't mind playing both if that's the case.