Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Agreed the RSA reputation for bottoming horses isn't deserved. Think it was Henrietta Knight who first started that one. Several winners have gone on to better things. Lord Windermere, Bobs Worth, Albertas Run, Looks like Trouble just a few that spring to mind. There are a few of course who never went on but not convinced that's the fault of the race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That Denman horse did alright too Viking

Thanks
    I think there's a case to be made that the RSA is ok for 7yos and older because they are further down the line in maturity and cope with the demands of the race. Finian's Oscar might well benefit from going the JLT route (I don't think he's quick enough for the Arkle) but their main concern should be to avoid Bacardys.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Tizzard (and Potts, to be fair) are generally pretty-fearless when it comes to how they campaign their horses, hezz. I don't think they would be spooked about "bottoming" Finian's Oscar in the RSA......and the race doesn't really deserve that type of reputation anyway (imo).

FO is a winning 3m pointer who is bred to stay, and if it's prestige they're after, the RSA Chase is probably a more alluring event, than the JLT. All will be revealed, no doubt!
    Fair points. Time will tell I suppose. Just cant wait to see him over fences, whatever his ideal trip ends up being.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    That Denman horse did alright too Viking
    How could I forget him

Florida pearl another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Tizzard already talking about the prestigious nature of the Arkle being a draw for Finians Oscar.

Thanks
    Well spotted Bonjers. Tizzard's quote:

"He came with a big reputation last year and has fulfilled that in spades. He is a beautiful horse.
    Robbie Power schooled him and you would have thought he was a handicap chaser," said Tizzard.

"He could easily end up as an Arkle horse, as he is not short of pace. There is the JLT at Cheltenham now, but the more prestigious race is the Arkle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, lads. We'll see how it plays out.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Exactly Grassy, see what happens. I have a feeling we'll be guessing all the way up to the week before Cheltenham.
    The world and his mother will say the JLT is the right race for the horse, and he'll go for the Arkle.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tizzard worried about Chepstow ground for FO (and his other runners) this weekend. Anyone know if the course got a drenching today?
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 11th October 2017 at 10:18 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Isn't he a bit of a talking horse this Finians?

I know he won at Aintree but it wasn't exactly a top notch race and he's got beaten fair and square in Ireland by a somewhat ordinary hurdler that Ruby decided not to ride.

The bookies seem unimpressed offering 10's JLT and 1ุ6's Arkle about him for next years festival races.

Tizzard bypassed the 2 mile race at Aintree for the longer novice the horse is the same price for the RSA as he is for the Arkle.

Tizzard looks set to run him over 2m4f round Chepstow which for mke is one of the toughest courses in the country when there is give in the ground.

Him talking Arkle seem to me like he just likes the sound of his own voice
    Last edited by Tanlic; 12th October 2017 at 7:38 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Tizzard worried about Chepstow ground for FO (and his other runners) this weekend. Anyone know if the course got a drenching today?
    ?? I read the complete opposite on Chepstow racecourse Twitter feed

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote from Sky I saw yesterday afternoon, DG:

"It is very much up in the air at the minute because of the ground," said Tizzard.
    "It is getting harder by the day and I don't want to run any of them on firm ground, not just Finian's Oscar.
    "There is a bit of rain due tomorrow, but we will see what happens. I hope to run them but it is not set in stone."

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

I know he won at Aintree but it wasn't exactly a top notch race and he's got beaten fair and square in Ireland by a somewhat ordinary hurdler that Ruby decided not to ride.
    It's dangerous to dismiss both FO and Bacardys in this manner, I reckon, Tanlic.

Ruby chooses the wrong Mullins horse, nearly as many times as he chooses the correct one - his selections are just about the worst barometer of the pecking order at Mullins yard, I can think of.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Bit harsh to say Bacardys is ordinary. He may not be flash but he has an engine and knows how to get his head over the line.

FO is probably a slight bit of a talking horse owing to what Chris Cook put in his stable tour last year but he won for me at 11/4 and 3/1 last year so is in my good books (until he devours some irish jolly)
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    It's dangerous to dismiss both FO and Bacardys in this manner, I reckon, Tanlic.

Ruby chooses the wrong Mullins horse, nearly as many times as he chooses the correct one - his selections are just about the worst barometer of the pecking order at Mullins yard, I can think of.
    I don't think Ruby picked the wrong horse that day . Patrick was chasing the amateur championship and rode 3 or 4 winners that day. It was Patricks day and Ruby took a back seat.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hezz View Post
    Really granger?? Do you see FO being campaigned over 3m this season?

I had thought he'd be routed towards the Arkle myself.
    He will have been bought to win a Gold Cup in future and the owner on known history only seems interested in winning one race per year

Tizzards don't mind placing their horses to take on the big races so yep I do think its possible and hope that it becomes a reality too

Over the minimum trip, i think FO has the most chance of been turned over
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the horse, but agree he is a bit of a talking horse.
    He has yet to go out and prove what those closest to him have claimed.

I recall when he won his PTP, Richard Pugh speaking to ATR about it, and that the time he put up was exceptional.
    I cant recall the horses, but the time (while cannot be fully relied on) was up there with 2 previous records. Pretty sure one was Faugheen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    He will have been bought to win a Gold Cup in future and the owner on known history only seems interested in winning one race per year

Tizzards don't mind placing their horses to take on the big races so yep I do think its possible and hope that it becomes a reality too

Over the minimum trip, i think FO has the most chance of been turned over
    I must say, thinking about your post more and more granger, the Feltham would seem an ideal target for the horse (outside of Cheltenham).
    But from my memory, when logic says x, then Potts will do y.

Talk of the Supreme last year didn't make any sense to me, yet that was the way they were leaning before he picked up his injury.

Similarly, I see him as a JLT horse this year, but Potts being Potts, he'll likely go for a more prestigious race.
    Now, is that likely to be the Arkle or the RSA......well logic would probably say he has a better chance in the RSA.....so in all likelihood Potts will send him to the Arkle....and boom, Tizzard comes out and says what he said yesterday.

Thanks
    I obviously havent learned my lessons of last year, as of right now I fancy another Hnery/Gigi horse for the Arkle

Thanks
    Just in case there wasn't enough confusion as regards Finian's long term target, Tom Park has put him up at 10/1 for the JLT in today's Racing Post.

Someone is going to be disappointed. Oh to be a bookie!