Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Yep won snug enough in the end. Jumping still needs work.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    I’d have Yanworth in the RSA. His jumping will cost him in the JLT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I reckon he's a bit dumb and will never be the best jumper in the world

It's one thing beating an average field like todays and winning the JLT or even the RSA

Have to agree though the RSA might be the better choice but I wouldn't back him at this stage
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    That was my initial thought but when Mick Fitz said the same thing I began to doubt myself!!

Thanks
    He’ll need to jump better to win an RSA also. Made a poor shape at several today and it was only the considerable engine the horse clearly possesses that won him the day together with the weight concessions and the stopping blunder by WC. Sizing Tennessee was also conceding 3lb so emerges the best horse in the race

Thanks
    I'd worry about Yanworth in a fast-run race over 2m 5f. He seems to spend a long time in the air when he does clear them, but other occasions, does leave his mark on 1 or 2 fences.

Difficult to tell if he would be seen to better effect over 3m, he looked absolutely out on his feet coming up the hill today. Tough one to call as to where he would go if I were the one making the decision.

Thanks
    He idled up the hill for me and as soon as Sizing came alongside he pulled away again, that was proper heavy ground today and took a lot if getting, the 3m trip on spring ground wouldn't be a major concern for me, his jumping, concentration and general application however are a different story.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No doubting Yanworth’s engine - his record in graded 2m hurdles tells you that - but as others have said, he doesn’t make the right shape; coming down too steeply on the landing-side, and carrying insufficient momentum away from each fence as a result. He will jump himself out of contention in a stronger race.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I wouldn't back him in the RSA for the reasons already stated. I just think that's his best chance as a return to hurdles looks exceptionally unlikely now.
    Last edited by TheBear; 1st January 2018 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    No doubting Yanworth’s engine - his record in graded 2m hurdles tells you that - but as others have said, he doesn’t make the right shape; coming down too steeply on the landing-side, and carrying insufficient momentum away from each fence as a result. He will jump himself out of contention in a stronger race.
    Tend to disagree, Grass.
    Every chase, thus far ,seems to have been educational. with his pilot holding on to his head to ensure he gets from one side of a fence to t'other, but he showed what he can do when allowed his head at the last, taking lengths out of good horses with a single leap.
    Still maintain he'd be a natch for the Arkle, though we're unlikely to see it - under his present tutelage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    "Death Duty is a bit sore after the fall and we'll see where we go with him. There are no plans."
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Brain dead from Elliott to send him to the 2m chase at Leopardstown when Limerick was there for the taking.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    Brain dead from Elliott to send him to the 2m chase at Leopardstown when Limerick was there for the taking.
    Not sure what say he had in it, but it was a strange call
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    He mentioned in an article on Irish Racing the week before Christmas how Russell had been on to him to drop him back to 2m as he new he’d be in L’town on St. Stephen’s Day and would keep the ride but at that stage Elliott was saying he was 99% positive it’d be Limerick.

Looks like the decision could come back to haunt them now. “No plans” comment seems telling.

Thanks
    Footpad has been very exciting to date. Not one that I would have predicted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Footpad has been very exciting to date. Not one that I would have predicted
    Given the performance of the Mullins horses in subsequent days you'd almost have to mark him up for the run on Stephen's day!!

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Petit Mouchoir is the forgotten horse in the arkle market. He boasts better hurdles form than the lot of them and jumped well before his setback. Hopefully we’ll see him in the Irish Arkle.

It’s a bit of an anomaly this year in that second season hurdlers switched to fences in their third season dominate the head of the market. Normally those types don’t tend to fare well with plan B.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Footpad already a better chaser than hurdler, TheBear, so not sure a literal interpretation of that form helps greatly. Also, Footpad was a juvenile his first season over hurdles, so no huge surprise they waited another year with him, before going over fences (especially since the generous 5yo allowance was whipped-away).

I think Footpad will be hard beaten in the Arkle. Best jumping novice-chaser I've seen in a long time.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 2nd January 2018 at 4:56 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I backed Footpad Sceau Royal and Petit Mouchoir in the first leg of a Cheltenham accie...but if I was backing one it would be Footpad.

He made Death Duty look like a tree and took so much out of him he would have been lucky to finish 2nd had he stood up.

Looks another Arkle banker
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I’m not trying to detract from Footpad as he’s looked a natural over fences. However I think it’s dangerous to put him down as a banker as many are doing.
    In PM you have an opponent who has bettered him on more than one occasion over hurdles and has proven he can handle a fence. At 5 times the price I’m willing to take the chance PM will confirm the form over the larger obstacles rather than guess that Footpad has improved past him.

The one negative is this setback and I’m yet to read any updates on that subject from HDB.