Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is a real enigma, I'll give you that much.

I think the Graded wins at the minimum trip are throwing confusion. Form-wise, I think the Xmas Hurdle and Kingwell wins amount to very little. Beating TNO at Kempton doesn't mean a great deal, imo, as that horse has (and will) never win a Grade 1 hurdle at 2-miles, and the Ch'Tibello form at Wincanton, is not much cop either. For me, it's just plain obvious that he wants a trip, but appreciate that others will take an opposing view.

The only squeak I would give him is that the Arkle division does not look particularly strong at the moment, and the race might not take a whole lot of winning (when set in a historical perspective). But even that wouldn't make him a genuine 2-miler.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Stayers hurdle or 4m chase
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Beating TNO at Kempton doesn't mean a great deal, imo, as that horse has (and will) never win a Grade 1 hurdle at 2-miles
    Taking the scalp of two defending Champion Hurdlers over 2 miles(ROR by 10 lengths & H. Fly by 2) is worth more than a lot of G1s in name only(especially in Ireland).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    he is a dog - will be 3 mile hurdling again
    Not unless they're idiots. The horse was a superstar over 2 miles, his only blip came after he was administered a drug that affected his performance, confirmed by the reversed form in the CH with couple of his former rivals.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    He did win the Neptune by 7 lengths but as for the rest his acceleration lasts about 6 strides and he's never won by more than a few lengths from all opposition
    He was 1 length behind Yorkhill after Barry taking him a furlong re-route on every turn. The one with 7 lengths was at the same festival's but in the Supreme and is your nightmare of Douvan never winning a race at Chelt again, unless he's sent up in trip.

Thanks
    Ah, did someone order the cave troll out of hibernation?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    Taking the scalp of two defending Champion Hurdlers over 2 miles(ROR by 10 lengths & H. Fly by 2) is worth more than a lot of G1s in name only(especially in Ireland).
    Clear off with your bilge, and get back to me when TNO eventually wins a Grade 1 hurdle at 2-miles i.e. never.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Your beloved Fly wouldn't have lasted till 10yo while suffering kissing spine. TNO affected for 2 years now and still goes on and wins valuable races. I'd take his wins of the defending champions by 2 and 10 lengths when at his best and be satisfied the horse is a treasure of hurdling scene.
    Last edited by Aughex; 15th November 2017 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You can take it up the pipe from a one-legged Cuban tranny, for all I care.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    You can take it up the pipe from a one-legged Cuban tranny, for all I care.
    This really did make me LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Just 4 in the Steel Plate & Sections Novices' Chase tomorrow

Finian's Oscar
    Movewiththetimes
    William Henry
    Coo Star Sivola

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tough-enough task for Finian's Oscar to concede 8lbs all-round over this trip.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Agreed it would be some performance . Is it fair to say now Tissard might have more say in where the Potts horses are being targeted come March and is this a indication that the Arkle is not being considered.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    He was 1 length behind Yorkhill after Barry taking him a furlong re-route on every turn. The one with 7 lengths was at the same festival's but in the Supreme and is your nightmare of Douvan never winning a race at Chelt again, unless he's sent up in trip.
    Is there a point to your reply?..Beats the hell out of me what it is if their is one
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    Agreed it would be some performance . Is it fair to say now Tissard might have more say in where the Potts horses are being targeted come March and is this a indication that the Arkle is not being considered.

Have to see where they all end up now and who buys them if the family are not interested

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He is a real enigma, I'll give you that much.

I think the Graded wins at the minimum trip are throwing confusion. Form-wise, I think the Xmas Hurdle and Kingwell wins amount to very little. Beating TNO at Kempton doesn't mean a great deal, imo, as that horse has (and will) never win a Grade 1 hurdle at 2-miles, and the Ch'Tibello form at Wincanton, is not much cop either. For me, it's just plain obvious that he wants a trip, but appreciate that others will take an opposing view.

The only squeak I would give him is that the Arkle division does not look particularly strong at the moment, and the race might not take a whole lot of winning (when set in a historical perspective). But even that wouldn't make him a genuine 2-miler.
    Arkle Jlt it wouldn't matter he'll run his normal race and be there at the finish. I don't think the trip matters and talk of him going World Hurdle or 4m Chase is just silly.

I was one of the first if not the first person to put him up as Kings best horse on here way before he hit the big time. I was also one of the first to say he wasn't that good.

I am not a huge fan of the horse but at least unlike some I can face facts.

He's simply not a horse you can right off because the minute you do he'll jump right back up and bite your ass
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Have to see where they all end up now and who buys them if the family are not interested
    Be mazed if having a Gold Cup winner doesn't entice them to continue.

Don't know what his family look like but there were more than a few bodies wearing Potts scarves surrounding him after the Gold Cup
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    His loss will be felt on the Irish P2P scene, he was the only one really rivaling gigi with the bigger purchases - Not like the O'Leary's don't encourage monopolies either

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Gigi has never impressed me. They have too may nearly horses for my liking and win very little outside of Ireland and would be nothing to talk of if not for Don Cossack
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Given the volumes they deal in, a lot of Giggi's otherwise-decent horses will look like nearly merchants. If Don Cossack was the real deal, horses like Valseur Lido, Road To Riches etc, are going to look a little paler in comparison, despite being thoroughly-creditable animals themselves.

Tanlic, I knew Yanworth when he was a pony.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 16th November 2017 at 2:06 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018