Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Disagree Tanlic. He was fast over his fences, Brelade is a useful yardstick, and he won as he liked. He looked like a very smart prospect.

I don't know which way they'll go, but that was the sort of trial you'd want to see from a genuine Arkle contender. Petit Mouchoir will be late out and will have little chasing experience come March, and Finians Oscar would probably be better over further then the minimum. I'm just about to add him to my Festival portfolio.

Thanks
    Bacardys hardly jumped a fence. Just the sort to come out and win a much better race next time.

Footpad was very impressive. Slick over his fences, travelled well and plenty in hand at the end. Everything that Finians Oscar wasn't.

The only cautionary note would be that the ground was soft enough at both tracks and will be different in March.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Bacardys hardly jumped a fence. Just the sort to come out and win a much better race next time.

Footpad was very impressive. Slick over his fences, travelled well and plenty in hand at the end. Everything that Finians Oscar wasn't.

The only cautionary note would be that the ground was soft enough at both tracks and will be different in March.
    The point with regards the ground is a good one Archie. What impressed me was his jumping at speed. To my eye he jumped like a Champion Chase contender not a novice. The key for me is his run in the Irish Champion Hurdle. Only beaten a length by Petit Mouchoir who is currently joint favourite for the Arkle, and would need to be equally impressive if Footpad isn't going to improve past him over fences.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Jacob may not keep the ride on Footpad - seems a bit strange to me. Quotes are from Anthony Bromley

He went on: "It will be up to Willie (where he goes), but I imagine he will be campaigned between two and two and a half miles and then see where we go. It will fit around with what else he has got."I was pleased Daryl (Jacob, retained rider) got the chance to ride him as he rode him in most races last season as he was always the second or third string in the Grade Ones in the Mullins yard. When Ruby (Walsh) had a sore hand, it was nice Daryl could go and ride him.
    "Whether he will get back on him is another thing as I imagine he will be first choice in that division now.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Jacob may not keep the ride on Footpad - seems a bit strange to me. Quotes are from Anthony Bromley
    It has always seemed an odd arrangement. Jacob is retained, but if the stable jockey is a bigger name then we use him....

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Jacob is only retained to ride the UK horses, isn't he?
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That from the word go should have been run at Yanworth's pace not the oppositions............he fell because he was going a stride slower than his comfort zone
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    he is a dog - will be 3 mile hurdling again
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    That from the word go should have been run at Yanworth's pace not the oppositions............he fell because he was going a stride slower than his comfort zone
    He fell cause he can't jump very well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    He fell cause he can't jump very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Jumped the fence fine; just didn't find a leg on landing.
    Agree with Fist, they should let him have his head, and run him in the Arkle.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    he is a dog - will be 3 mile hurdling again
    A dog that's won 11 races ? can't say there's too many out there who wouldn't swap him for theirs.

I have never agreed with the way they ride him as he's all about cruising speed and doesn't find a tremendous lot at the end of his races.

Why not let him use that high cruising speed like Mullins does with his novices eg UDS Vautour Min etc

It makes them pay attention and they learn a lot more jumping at speed than they do crawling round half asleep

He hit 2 out in his first chase and got into a bit of a tussle with a horse rated 20lbs inferior. Had he hit the last that day he may well have lost.

When you are on a much better horse to me get the hell out there and don't give the oposition a chance. Mullins Pipe and the Dickinsons style
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Jumped the fence fine; just didn't find a leg on landing.
    Agree with Fist, they should let him have his head, and run him in the Arkle.
    Still reckon he's a 2-miler, reet?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A dog that's won 11 races ? can't say there's too many out there who wouldn't swap him for theirs.

I have never agreed with the way they ride him as he's all about cruising speed and doesn't find a tremendous lot at the end of his races.

Why not let him use that high cruising speed like Mullins does with his novices eg UDS Vautour Min etc

It makes them pay attention and they learn a lot more jumping at speed than they do crawling round half asleep

He hit 2 out in his first chase and got into a bit of a tussle with a horse rated 20lbs inferior. Had he hit the last that day he may well have lost.

When you are on a much better horse to me get the hell out there and don't give the oposition a chance. Mullins Pipe and the Dickinsons style
    Yanworth does not have a high cruising-speed in the Universe I inhabit.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 15th November 2017 at 7:23 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    If he was anyone else's you'd say he doesn't have a distance. As it is, it could be a plot for the 2019 Martin Pipe.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Yanworth does not have a high cruising-speed in the Universe I inhabit.
    BS Grassy.....he's 100% a cruiser who finds next to nothing at the end of his races.......he is all about cruising speed.

He did win the Neptune by 7 lengths but as for the rest his acceleration lasts about 6 strides and he's never won by more than a few lengths from all opposition
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    He did win the Neptune by 7 lengths
    Was Yorkhill disqualified?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    BS Grassy.....he's 100% a cruiser who finds next to nothing at the end of his races.......he is all about cruising speed.

He did win the Neptune by 7 lengths but as for the rest his acceleration lasts about 6 strides and he's never won by more than a few lengths from all opposition
    This is fantasy, Tanlic.

He has never once came there swinging on the bit over 2-miles, and then idled when he's hit the front - it has always been hard work for him. He grinds-out his wins at the minimum trip, and travels much better over further, when he isn't using all his energy just to keep himself in the race.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Was Yorkhill disqualified?
    That was almost as funny as the notion of keeping Yanworth at 2m. He needed every inch of his 3m win at Aintree last April. He’s beaten the New One & Ch’Tibello over 2miles in graded races. I’d be fairly confident of beating them myself over 2m. Firmly outpaced in last years champion hurdle approaching 2out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Still reckon he's a 2-miler, reet?
    Probably won't ever get the chance to show it, Grass, but he's a powerhouse of a horse, and giving him his head @ 2m over fences could well be the making off him.