Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 734 Posts
    Woof woof
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Graham Dench in RP

The BHA has announced a raft of changes to the novice chase programme which will come into effect on October 1.

Novice chases have long been regarded as jumps racing's most troubled division, and many attempts have been made at increasing field sizes and betting revenue while at the same time providing a fair and appealing programme for connections of horses of widely differing levels of ability.
    Among the latest changes will be a trial which will exempt horses finishing in close proximity to higher-rated winners in weight-for-age novice chases from having their ratings raised in all but the top races, prompted by a preconception that is refuted by handicappers but has compromised novice chase field sizes for years.
    Also announced is the introduction of a new £100,000 novice handicap chase final in the spring and the raising of the ratings band from 0-140 to 0-145 for the Cheltenham Festival race run this year as the Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase in a bid to encourage the running of novices more frequently in an effort to attain the necessary higher rating.

There will also be a significant increase in the number of weight-for-age novices, at the expense of novice handicaps, and six races are being introduced this autumn confined to horses who have won no more than one hurdle.
    Explaining the background to the latest changes, BHA head of racing Paul Johnson said: "In order to safeguard the future of the category action must be taken to ensure that these races provide a competitive and compelling spectacle on a more consistent basis and that there is an incentive for horses to be sent over the larger obstacles.
    "We have made several alterations to the programme in recent years. While these changes have contributed to marginal improvements in the number of horses going novice chasing, average field sizes, and the number of races attracting eight or more runners, it was agreed that more needs to be done.
    "Continued focus and improvement of this part of the programme is viewed as necessary for the long-term health of the category and the sport."

KEY RECOMMENDATIONS

• No handicap rating increase in weight-for-age novice chases of Class 2 and below, other than for the winner. This will apply only to horses who have already made four appearances over obstacles (hurdles or fences) and be introduced on a trial basis.
    • An increase of up to 25% in the current programme of 200 weight-for-age novices, to be balanced by a decrease in number of novices’ handicaps.
    • Programming of six confined races during the autumn for horses which have not won more than one race over hurdles, a proposal aimed at providing a pathway for later-maturing chasing types.
    • Rating band for Cheltenham's Listed novices’ handicap chase to be increased to 0-145 (from 0-140). Increasing the banding was considered key to the success of the new system, with horses rated 146 and above more than capable of holding their own in Graded company.
    • A new £100,000 novices’ handicap chase series final to be programmed in the spring, supported by the BHA development fund. Horses must have run in at least two weight-for-age novices’ or beginners’ chases.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (8th August 2017)

Thanks
    It's a start at least

It has been my major gripe in racing that we only tend to see the best novices clash in March for one reason or another
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed - it's a start, though still think the Programme below the top-level, would benefit from a much-more creative approach.

Series/Finals is one way of going about it. Something along the lines of a localised/regional Series, valuable localised/regional Final, and a very-valuable National final (at, say, the Whitbread meeting), would be one way forward. In this world, a minimum number of Series runs, would be a stipulation for qualification for a local Final (e.g. must run in three Series races, winning at least one), and I'd probably be looking at a penalty-scheme, rather than handicap-marks, to determine weights in those Finals. And I'd have local/regional Silver Cup/Consolation Final races too, for horses who have met the minimum-run criteria, but didn't win one of the Series races.

Obviously would need a lot of development, and I'm just throwing some ideas around, but it wouldn't take a great deal of hard-thinking, to pull something like this together, I reckon.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Race series would be nice. also maybe some incentive to run novices in either big handicaps or graded chases

Thanks
    Yanworth goes chasing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pretty-much had to.......there isn't a race for him over smaller obstacles, apart from the Aintree Hurdle.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Certainly got the size and he's a very well balanced horse. At around 17/1 surely he's got to be a bet for the Arkle.

I would imagine if he comes out early the minute he jumps a fence he'll be 6/1 favourite or thereabouts
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    He is a stayer. If he wins the Arkle, I'm either gone at this game or it's a rank year of novice chasers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

I would imagine if he comes out early the minute he jumps a fence he'll be 6/1 favourite or thereabouts
    Yeah? And how well did being fav his last two Festival races work out?

How many failed Champion Hurdle prospects turned out any good over fences? I can only think of Sizing Europe and he always skied his hurdles. Yanworth is another Identity Thief in the making. In fact he has even worse claims than that horse did given who trains him.

Thanks
    Sizing Europe was not a failed Champion Hurdle prospect, he was on the point of winning it in Katchit's year (2008) when he broke down.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yanworth has no chance in an Arkle, and I doubt connections would be foolish enough to campaign him over the minimum. He has never, ever been a 2-miler (scrambling home in hopelessly poorly-contested G1s at the trip, doesn't count), and it's clear from Aintree - and long before - that he needs a test.

More Of That rather than Identity Thief, is the template for this one, I reckon.

PS. Horse I want to back for the Arkle isn't quoted anywhere. Asking BF to add him to exchange.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 22nd August 2017 at 8:42 AM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I find it hard to trust these juvenile horses Grassy

Arkle might have him for toe but I do know you love having a huge price which you should get

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Much prefer them as novice-chasers, than second-season hurdlers, PJ........Defi being an exception of course.

It's a physique thing with me. Just reckon he is built like a chaser, and will be seen to best-effect when sent over fences. He gives his running every time, and wasn't too far away from the top-level, as a juvenile hurdler.

Hopefully I will get the big price you're predicting.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I reckon he is a stayer along with Baupame

The 3 of them last year looked a fair batch of juveniles

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All Mega Fortune's runs have been at around the minimum trip, so not entirely convinced he is a stayer........more one that will want a true test at 2m. Referring back to physique, I just don't think he was whippet-like enough to beat the very-best at 2m over hurdles - fences will hopefully see him in a much better light.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 22nd August 2017 at 12:22 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Navan back tomorrow, not a bad beginners.

Flanagan loves Bel Ami and I reckon he'll take the beating

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Alto Esqua goes at Roscommon in 20 minutes, PJ.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Alto Esqua goes at Roscommon in 20 minutes, PJ.
    Not today, he must be getting fitted with that new handbrake

Thanks
    Ballyandy v Fagan (plus Chitu) at Perth tomorrow & hoping Ballyandy is good enough getting 6lb+