Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Big Barry went from saying that he was a certain 3 mile stayer last year to a speedster over 2 at Kempton over a few weeks last year too

He'd sell Yanworth to the zoo as a zebra at this stage
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks

Funny, but just in case you missed it, the horse was found drugged in July on his CH run. Got beat over 2 and half 2 years ago in the Neptune and only won by 1 length from a handicapper over 3 miles last time out. He beat TNO at his preferred track by 3-4 lengths with ease over 2 miles. Thats quite the difference in form. He should stay 2 miles hurdling and drug-free and could prove a real challenge for BD'air.
    Last edited by Aughex; 23rd October 2017 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Yanworth tested positive for an anti-inflammatory substance which, arguably, would have enhanced his performance rather than degraded it. The fact that they're sending him chasing is a fairly clear indication that they don't see him beating the other JP hurdlers over 2 miles.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Who hasn't beaten TNO?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just in case you missed it, Aughex, he was not "found drugged' - he returned an illegal sample after the Champion Hurdle, which is an entirely different thing. The illegal subtsance was an anti-inflammatory that is standard-use for horses in training, but which has no definitive clearance period. He was not "nobbled", which is what your posts seems to infer.

Good job they're sending him novice-chasing. it will save you from doing doing your absolute conkers on him in 2m hurdles this season.

Edit: Just noticed Archie got in before me.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 23rd October 2017 at 12:02 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thats good, but his form in the CH is bonkers compare with his previous 2 mile runs. As I remember it, he was disqualified for taking drugs and maybe for some horses it might have an adverse effect but his run suggests otherwise.

If he jumps well tomorrow, I'll still do back him @Grass because I think he's a top class animal. If Barry is right though and they reverse to hurdles, that would be better, I think.

Thanks
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a wild conspiracy Grass

I have also heard that Our Conor was converted to extremism before his ill fated champ hurdle and took out TNO to further the cause

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    Thats good, but his form in the CH is bonkers compare with his previous 2 mile runs. As I remember it, he was disqualified for taking drugs and maybe for some horses it might have an adverse effect but his run suggests otherwise.

If he jumps well tomorrow, I'll still do back him @Grass because I think he's a top class animal. If Barry is right though and they reverse to hurdles, that would be better, I think.

I don't agree that his CH run was "bonkers' in comparison to his other runs at 2m, which were not worth a carrot in terms of demonstrating true G1 class at the trip. Ch'Tibello holds-down the form of both his Grade 1 runs at 2m.

Yanworth ran exactly as I expected in the Champion Hurdle, because he has no tactical pace - something borne out by his subsequent win over 3m at Aintree.

Yanworth clearly has a bit of class, but he won't be able to demonstrate it, if they run him at the wrong trip. He can probably get away with it tomorrow, but they are a cert to step him up through the season, I reckon.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    The form from his previous CH runs told us he should have beaten Sceau Royal by at least 7 lengths and TNO by at least 4 lengths. He was behind both. The pace of the CH hurdle was very honest with Petit doing his usual upfront, that would've suited Yanworth as well. There's no explanation for the run except drugs which we only found out 3 months ago. Till then I put it down to a bad run but I don't see any facts to tell me he ran as you'd have expected which is ridiculous as the majority placed a 2/1 favoritism on his chances beforehand, which granted were also on the hope he would improve, but mostly on his form which was top class.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I despair at this kind of analysis.

If you want any "facts" about how I viewed Yanworth pre-CH, then go and read the relevant thread on this very Forum.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yanworth is a very good horse he is just not a Champion Hurdle horse. Like TNO it all happens that stride too quick for him.

He'll be what he was born to be..a JLT winner )
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    PM will laugh at Yanworth if they ever come eye to eye

Thanks
    Yanworth and Sternrubin put in two likeable performances there albeit the latter doesn't want to get into a habit of jumping out to the right so early on in his chasing career.

Didn't tell us much other than Yanworth will be a force in the division.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    I liked that. Looks very much like he'll be a lot more economical over fences than he was over hurdles which is a good sign.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I thought Yanworth ballooned the first couple, and whilst he warmed to his task, he still needed shaken-up against a horse rated 20lbs his inferior over hurdles. I know it was only his first outing in a chase, but I expected better, tbh.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 24th October 2017 at 5:47 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Be some horse, if they ever let him have his head.

Thanks
    Sternrubin had a big fitness advantage.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 24th October 2017 at 6:29 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Really nice introduction by master at arms BG...Can't knock Yanworth he won 8 from 10 over hurdles and he looks like he'll prove much more at home over fences.

JLT beckons
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Not sure you could want anything more from Yanworth and he'll be near the top of the UK nov chasers this season

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    PM will laugh at Yanworth if they ever come eye to eye
    He would laugh and ask wtf are you doing running over 2 miles.

Highly unlikely the 2 will ever cross paths and PM barely gets 2 miles and Yanworth has the making of a top class stayer.

If 2 top novices are to clash it most likely would be Finians and Yanworth and despite the former being fav for the JLT I reckon Yanworth would beat him doing handstands
    Last edited by Tanlic; 25th October 2017 at 6:59 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury