Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Clockwatchers' Corner

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Clockwatchers' Corner

Apologies for the clichéd title; I just thought it might catch people's attention for doing what it says on the tin. There's another one...

(By the way, is "tired old cliché" one?)

Anyway, I suspect the likes of gigilo might touch on stuff like that in 'his' thread (which I don't read since I don't look at midweek racing if it isn't quality TV stuff) but I know there are other clockwatchers and sectionalistas out there who might want to discuss certain events.

I'll start with one I came across while killing time today while a workie sets about my daughter's flat...

I have the race at Epsom on Great Met/City & Sub day (29 Apr) won by Enemem as unusually fast.

I wondered if anyone else came to a similar conclusion.

I've watched the City & Sub a few times. It looked a strong pace throughout with the principals coming from well back so I'd take that race as being true-run. That's maybe a bit simplistic but I'm a bit of a simpleton really. If that race's time is commensurate with the form, then Emenem is a long way better than his new rating.

I'll have a go at the figures using the RP standard times and see what they come up with.

In the meantime, feel free to comment on this or any other significant time performance you come across.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (8th May 2017), edgt (8th May 2017), wilsonl (8th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'll have a go at the figures using the RP standard times and see what they come up with.
    After allowing for rail movement the net times work out exactly as for the times I've used so the time ratings are the same.

Thanks
    His new rating should see him get to race off a lovely, low weight in the Mile handicap over C&D on Oaks day, which you'd have to think would be the target given his local trainer Dow has been keen on having a runner in this. Albeit not many have gone there with as good a chance as this one would have.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (8th May 2017), Desert Orchid (8th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Would've just scraped in off his current mark last year, Lee, though there might be opportunities over 10f at the same meeting. T/S have him running a 74 - the 3rd best figure on the day,and not one to set the pulse racing, but that doesn't make them right and Dessie mistaken.

Thanks
    Don't know about that Reet. Are you sure the safety limit's down to 12; which was the number of runners the past two years? As there were 16 in 2014 and 14 in 2013.

Regardless, in all of those years there were horses running off less than 84, admittedly just about and I reckon he'll get a run if that's where the trainer wants to send him.

I'm not one for time analysis so I'll take that type of input whenever it's available.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    I'll throw a couple out there I've given decent ratings to on the clock this season.

Middle Kingdom (101) and Euginio (105) from the Craven meeting. Leshlaa (105) and Dubai Horizon (101) Mr Lupton (112) and Eastern impact (106) from Sunday at Newmarket.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (9th May 2017), reet hard (9th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks, MF.
    Will put yours and DO's in a tracker.
    Anyone recommend a decent tracker?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Easy Odds.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrisk View Post
    I'll throw a couple out there I've given decent ratings to on the clock this season.

Middle Kingdom (101) and Euginio (105) from the Craven meeting. Leshlaa (105) and Dubai Horizon (101) Mr Lupton (112) and Eastern impact (106) from Sunday at Newmarket.
    Thanks, Mr F. I'll check them out myself and add any comments. I'm hoping for consensus of some sort. I've found in the past when my findings concur with those of other good judges we sometimes have something to go to war with.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Thanks, MF.
    Have always used ATR's tracker to cover approx 300 horses in the TTF and never had any problems

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

reet hard (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Thanks, MF.
    Mentioned on another thread. The Warrior trained by Amanda Perratt. Formerly with Aidan O Brien. This ran a stormer at Goodwood when not getting the clearest of runs. Also, The Tartan Spartan looks likely to move onto better things this season having put an unlucky run behind him when scoring last week.
    Last edited by Marb; 9th May 2017 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Have always used ATR's tracker to cover approx 300 horses in the TTF and never had any problems

Thankx, DG, any chance of a link as I can't access from their website, even when signed in?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Phillips For This Useful Post:

reet hard (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    I know from several forum and email conversations with EC1 that he doesn’t trust the old STs I use, especially for Newmarket and more especially the 10f course there.

However, they’ve stood me in good stead for many years so I’m very reluctant to change. I’m not convinced it’s broke so see no need to fix it. At the same time, I’m not closed to the idea that I’m wrong.

Anyway, I’ve just completed my trawl of the three days of the Craven meeting and come to the following conclusions:

Tuesday

The big performances have come from Beat The Bank (112 on my own STs / 107 on RPSTs) and Jewel House (101/95), based on El Astronaute being a reliable guide to the going. Sound And Silence and Never Back Down have put up decent runs on the clock for juveniles at this stage.

Wednesday

With Gunmetal taken as providing the key, Dancing Breeze (88/91) and Natavia (86/89) in the 4.45 and Middle Kingdom (99/94) and Euginio (107/102) in the 5.20 (as mentioned by Mr Frisk) have put up the best times relative to their class.

The curiosity here is that the mile race (4.45) is the only one over the two days so far where the RPST-based rating is higher than my own.

Thursday

The difficulty with this day is that the races for older horses weren’t truly run so we’re relying on the 3yos for guides to the times and I’m never comfortable with that. That aside, Victory Angel and Tricorn, bookending the meeting, appear to have run times commensurate with the form, which makes nothing else fast. The alternative is that the first and last races were very fast but I’d be very reluctant to go with that conclusion for the time being.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

fonz (10th May 2017), MrFrisk (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrisk View Post
    Leshlaa (105) and Dubai Horizon (101) Mr Lupton (112) and Eastern impact (106) from Sunday at Newmarket.
    Agree about Leshlaa and Dubai Horizon. They look fast for the class. Mr Lupton and Eastern Impact have run fast but I reckon only to what we already knew they were capable of.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

MrFrisk (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    The curiosity here is that the mile race (4.45) is the only one over the two days so far where the RPST-based rating is higher than my own.
    It looks like this is something I'll need to watch for in future.

On Sunday, Winter's RPST-based time rating (on my figures) is higher than on my normal standard time (120 v 118). It should also be noted that this is a very, very good time rating for a 1000G.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Cheers, Col; you're a star

Thanks
    It looks like this is something I'll need to watch for in future.

On Sunday, Winter's RPST-based time rating (on my figures) is higher than on my normal standard time (120 v 118). It should also be noted that this is a very, very good time rating for a 1000G.
    Cheers DO, it looks like we're not a million miles away from eachother on the ratings. Always nice to get a bit of confirmation.

I tend to only rate Class 2 handicaps for all ages and 3 year old handicps up to Class 4. There's often the odd unexposed sort who comes through the ranks in the lower class 3yo races and I like to spot them early.

Out of curiosty I rated the 1000 guineas and I've got Winter running to a handicp mark of 123. Again, not a million miles away from your rating.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Leshlaa is in the 2:05 at Newmarket on Saturday. I think the Queens horse looks a weak fav. The going is the concern.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

BennyB (20th May 2017)

Thanks
    It's not my kind of race so I didn't print it off. Nor is it a handicap but I see it's top-rated on ORs. I'll give it another dekko this morning and decide.