Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: UK election

Thanks
    Tisn't the same without Clivexxxxx. He'd have had a field day with 'Flabbott' and who can blame him

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It isn't, is it?

Much quieter here in Chit-Chat without him making a foaming-mouthed, cu*nt of himself every day of the week.

If he posts over at the other place these days, please tell him Grass sends his fond regards, and that he can go fornicate himself with a porcupine as soon as it pleases him.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I also think the Lib Dems will over achieve and am confident they will get more votes but not necessarily more seats

Any ideas how I can back that opinion with cash?

Thanks
    I've agreed to do some leafleting for them so that may be the kiss of death. Have voted Labour in the council elections today but will be supporting the LibDems in the GE as they have been the only part wholeheartedly fighting my corner for the past 9 months.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    If he posts over at the other place these days, please tell him Grass sends his fond regards, and that he can go fornicate himself with a porcupine as soon as it pleases him.
    He posts in the other place - which is more JCR than Lords these days - occasionally; his last missive about a month ago on the innovative 'Your Fav Cake...' thread being:

"A well made carrot cake. Hard to beat. Like anything with ginger in too. Also at south Kensington is a patisserie making very expensive eclairs in a whole range of flavours. Believe me they are good"

Frequenting a South Ken Patisserie is a leg up the metrosexual ladder I'm sure he's busy climbing, but carrot cake is dangerously 'smelly student' artisan cafe. So Clive, like us all, is just another crazy mixed up kid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently a Labour MP has messed up tonight, by linking The Duke of Edinburgh's retirement to pensioner inequality.

This was Nadhim Zahawi, Conservative MP on Twitter with his response...

Nadhim Zahawi @ChiOnwurah.

"That is shameful & wrong. I am truly shocked by your comments. The Royal family should be kept out of politics. I hope you will apologise."

I was taken by the third sentence, stating "The Royal Family should be kept out of politics."

If only they could keep themselves out of it, more like.

Prince Charles has been interfering and fiddling with Cabinet Ministers for a long time.
    Last edited by Marb; 4th May 2017 at 8:37 PM.

Thanks
    The snivelling servility towards him today is vomit inducing. Roll on the republic!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    David icke not far off with lizards

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I support the Health Secretary's , Jeremy Hunt's proposal to scrap Margaret Thatchers 1983 mental health act. Its good to see the government looking at the big issues surrounding the mental health system. A lot of young people find themselves needing services and sometimes being sectioned and detained either in prison or adult hospitals must be counter productive in terms of treating some patients. I still won't be voting Conservative but I get the gist of this policy.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th May 2017 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    As ever I don't trust anything that this government does. Part of their plan is to train up one teacher in each school to recognise children with depression/mental health issues etc. Given that that teacher will most probably be already having to look out for radicalisation etc etc and having to cope with increasing class sizes with less help from underpaid teaching assistants that are getting few and far between, this doesn't exactly sound like a ground breaking idea. That was, or so I thought, the idea of having tutor groups? And, a reduction of @ £400 per child isn't going to help matters. My friends school can't even afford text books for the pupils. I haven't looked into the other aspects of the proposal yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah its impossible to genuinely improve everything while cutting so much. Agree with the sentiment Moe, though scrapping that ancient 1983 mental health act is a good thing, if they research it properly and then replace it with something more suitable to 2017..
    Last edited by Marb; 10th May 2017 at 3:29 PM.

Thanks
    But they won't; they'll just look for something that costs less. Look at 'care in the community' ie close down mental hospitals and throw everyone out into the street. Theresa May is so in tune with people she says that even her shoes 'inspire people'#youcouldn'tmakeitup

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Haha yeah the famous shoes, she's been going on about them since about 2006.

Thanks
    Loving her shoes.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I don't consider myself particularly active politically and despite concerns over so many issues surrounding the party have pretty much always voted Labour.

I've been firmly in the camp that worries greatly about Corbyn as a potential PM but I find myself much more in agreement with his manifesto than with any other Labour manifesto I can remember.

And, to me, May is coming across as a total megalomaniac, putting herself up as a national leader as opposed to the national servant anyone in elected office should be. Stick a wee 'tache on her and you'd struggle to see the difference between her and Hitler (and Sturgeon).

Today's manifesto is one of the most vicious attacks on the under-privileged I ever remember.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Today's manifesto is one of the most vicious attacks on the under-privileged I ever remember.
    er...plans to means-test the Winter Fuel Allowance, the introduction of what could be described as a 'deferred asset tax' on ludicrously inflated property values in order to help pay for care and the removal of the 'third lock' on pensions which has guaranteed a 2.5% pay rise to the (overall) wealthiest sector of society whilst the income of the working population is stagnant are surely a three-pronged "vicious attack" on the over-privileged

Actually, not vicious, nor an attack, but rather good ideas
    Last edited by Drone; 19th May 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    I'm on a very small pension [state plus one other] and only just have enough income to warrant paying tax, so I would assume that I will lose the fuel allowance and, without the triple lock and with rising inflation I'm going to struggle to have anything other than a very basic existence the way things are going.

Thanks
    ....The Conservatives made a promise, in their last manifesto to allow one's children to inherit a certain amount of ones estate [I nearly voted for them because of it] and then never implemented it; along with another promise with regards childcare, which would have helped my son [also tempted me to vote for them]. I believe that wasn't implemented either. Too busy putting all their time and energy into a referendum to appease the backbenchers and UKIP voters.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

Flagship uberalles (19th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    er...plans to means-test the Winter Fuel Allowance, the introduction of what could be described as a 'deferred asset tax' on ludicrously inflated property values in order to help pay for care and the removal of the 'third lock' on pensions which has guaranteed a 2.5% pay rise to the (overall) wealthiest sector of society whilst the income of the working population is stagnant are surely a three-pronged "vicious attack" on the over-privileged

Actually, not vicious, nor an attack, but rather good ideas
    The changes from DLA to PIPS have been a complete mess - with the reported levels of benefit fraud being less than 1% I would love to see a cost benefit analysis prove that this has done anything but cost more money than it saved and also lead to many claimants suffering incredible levels of stress trying to get access to benefits.

I'm sure the means testing process for the fuel payments will also be an utter balls up, leading to people being badly assessed and losing the allowance to which they are perfectly entitled.
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    I know of someone who died of Motor Neurone disease; his sister [my friend] had to fight hard to get through the red tape that finally meant he received benefit and, of two payments that he received one was after he died and they had to repay it. I'd seen I Daniel Blake and wasn't sure how close to the truth it was; my friend said it was so similar to what happened to her brother she left the cinema in bits. I can't believe what this country has become. My children will, most probably, inherit nothing from me and will have to work till they die. What incentive is there to work hard? And, at a time when people like Rees Mogg [now, there's a good old Conservative politician who really represents the working people]are being handed millions to do up their family mansion. My daughter is a teacher; growing class sizes, no money for text books etc etc