Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One to watch

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great spot, Jinny, I was thinking of your thread when I saw the result yesterday.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I reckon the thread title should be changed to "Judge Jinny".
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Great spot, Jinny, I was thinking of your thread when I saw the result yesterday.
    Me too, as I always do whenever he rides a winner!

However, I do think yesterday's race pretty much fell in his lap. I had to watch the recording to see how he was running as I'd been concentrating on the two I'd put up in the Longshot thread. It looked like he couldn't hold his prominent starting position and his jumping was ragged throughout the race. All the jockey did was persevere and once the others started running out of gas he was starting to get going.

I reckon the old horse would be quite a serious tool if it could jump but I honestly reckon just about any jockey would have won on him yesterday although the claim no doubt helped.

I'd say the ride of the day yesterday was by Leighton Aspell on Buywise. It was pretty close to perfection.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    My guess is he'll continue riding for his Dad when available but outside that Henderson will want him given the size of his string. And outside spares would be rare you'd think.
    Especially in the big h/caps!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 620 Posts
    That was a peach of a ride on Jenkins. I thought he may struggle once they turned in but he just sat, filled the horses lungs up and kept enough to outgun the challenges. Hugely intelligent ride - every time I watch him I think I'm becoming just a bit more obsessed! ��
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Things are going very well for him, Jinny.

Chapman trying to words into Henderson’s mouth after the race, embarrassingly over the top.

Thanks
    Trying to take advantage of his state of joy?

Thanks
    When does the reduction in claim take effect? I see he’s on a couple at Fontwell today with a 5lb claim. Presume he’s allowed that as final decs made before Jenkins won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    DO, are you suggesting Nicky may have been imbibing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    When does the reduction in claim take effect? I see he’s on a couple at Fontwell today with a 5lb claim. Presume he’s allowed that as final decs made before Jenkins won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure it takes effect immediately Viking, at least that used to be the case. More likely websites aren't automatically updated after the final decs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Still shown as claiming 5 off Hollybush Henry tomorrow.
    My understanding is; there's always a period of grace to allow 5 days for connections to book alternatives.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Alternative to a 16 yo genius?.I don't think there is one How can some one so you ride like that? I wouldn't have backed it with bad money but he still somehow wins
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Couple more names from the pointing field to keep an eye on. Not necessarily in the same league as James Bowen yet but have shown definite talent.
    The first is Connor Brace (who I mentioned on the Pointing thread) - he was leading Novice Rider pointing last season and has now joined Fergal O'Brien as conditional.
    The second is Jack Tudor who arrived on the scene last season and rode 5 winners. He's still retained his amateur status so he can keep riding in points this season. I was speaking to a press colleague at Stratford a couple of weeks ago and he feels Jack could be even better than James Bowen - we shall see! But he did get the better of champion jockey Will Biddick at Bratton Down last season in a match race refusing to be intimidated by the occasion - he's only 16.

Both Jack and Connor are good friends and did plenty of pony racing. And what's interesting is that all three are Welsh (they must be putting something in the water across the border!) Both are down to ride at Cheltenham tomorrow.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (25th October 2018), Diamond Geezer (25th October 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Couple more names from the pointing field to keep an eye on. Not necessarily in the same league as James Bowen yet but have shown definite talent.
    The first is Connor Brace (who I mentioned on the Pointing thread) - he was leading Novice Rider pointing last season and has now joined Fergal O'Brien as conditional.
    The second is Jack Tudor who arrived on the scene last season and rode 5 winners. He's still retained his amateur status so he can keep riding in points this season. I was speaking to a press colleague at Stratford a couple of weeks ago and he feels Jack could be even better than James Bowen - we shall see! But he did get the better of champion jockey Will Biddick at Bratton Down last season in a match race refusing to be intimidated by the occasion - he's only 16.

Both Jack and Connor are good friends and did plenty of pony racing. And what's interesting is that all three are Welsh (they must be putting something in the water across the border!) Both are down to ride at Cheltenham tomorrow.
    Is Connor Brace an identical twin?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I was referring to James Bowen as being the third Welshman ��

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    I think An means brace as in "a pair"

Thanks
    I'm trying to decide if Fifty Shades got so close because of or in spite of Tudor. Did he have to be as far back as he was?

Similarly, Brace seemed to overdo the hold-up tactics on Man Of Plenty, running on up the hill into fifth from last place until just about turning for home.

Still, both were relative longshots so I don't want to be critical. But they didn't look either like amateurs or conditionals.

Thanks
    I think you probably ought to remember they're both only 16 and this was only Jack's second ride under rules and his first at Cheltenham! Added to that both are hold up horses (or have been in their last few runs) Man of Plenty is a quirky sod and hasn't won for four years albeit hes often run in tough races.
    Keep the faith!!! I was talking to Connor's grandfather, David Brace about the horses he's got for the pointing season and he intends to use Jack now Connor has turned pro.

Thanks
    Don't worry, jj, I will keep the faith. The bottom line is that both outran their odds, which has to be a positive.

Thanks
    Jack Tudor manhandling Uno Mas to victory there in Fakenham...good little rider!
    Last edited by trefflich; 20th November 2018 at 3:08 PM.