Thread: Irish v British Racing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts

Irish v British Racing

I had planned on starting a thread on this just after Cheltenham

Tony Keenan (whom I rather like) has produced the below article

https://www.geegeez.co.uk/the-real-r...ted-cheltenham

What do we all think of the recent change?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

edgt (20th March 2017), swedish chef (21st March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I think it's certainly a thought-provoking article but would maybe want a statistician to dissect it a bit more.I also think the rising profile of the festival might be at play here and I've no doubt the Irish are much more selective about what they send over.I've some reservations about any claim that some people just want a runner regardless. There was an interesting contrast between the fields for the Ultima and the Close Brothers. I wrote at the time: I never noticed it before, but this race appears to cut up enormously from the hefty numbers engaged at the 6-day decs, hence the wide ratings band (155-134). I suspect it’s just the majority of connections accepting that they can’t win off their marks and they’re content to leave it to the plots and improvers. Compare this with the closing novices’ handicap chase. Nigel Twiston-Davies was saying when the weights came out that there would only be a 5lbs weights range on the day – last year it was only 4lbs – and his words have proved prophetic, with his fancied Foxtail Hill giving away a maximum of 3lbs.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Banned
    Thanks
    A poor article that can change at the drop of the hat next year. Way too simplistic, a typical "I'm bored because Cheltenham has finished" article.

Thanks
    For proper analysis, they should start from 1995, thats 10 years before Phil Smith started to correct the bias against British horses, and now 12 years later we'd have a better view of what happened. Given how well the Irish performed this year its clear to me that Phil Smith and his team hadn't created a bias against Irish horses, but they've leveled the plain field for everyone. Imagine last year Diamond King and this year Presenting Percy, if they had remained on their Irish marks..

Thanks
    What's really surprising, to me at least is the type of horse PFN now trains.

its not like he doesn't have a few owners who won't spend money.

Tizzard has an owner willing to spend 600k on a horse. Pipe I think it was who recently spent over 300k on a p2p horse.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    I had planned on starting a thread on this just after CheltenhamTony Keenan (whom I rather like) has produced the below articlehttps://www.geegeez.co.uk/the-real-r...ted-cheltenhamIt's a good article regardless, but are Tony Keenan and Matt Bisogno the same person, PJ? I have a similar question about two other people knocking around here.What do we all think of the recent change?
    It's a good article regardless, but are Tony Keenan and Matt Bisogno the same person, PJ?I have a similar question about two of the people knocking around here.
    Last edited by Grey; 20th March 2017 at 9:34 PM.

Thanks
    There are 100% a few doppelgängers on here.

Arguing with themselves at times.

only one Tony Keenan to my knowledge

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    It's a good article regardless, but are Tony Keenan and Matt Bisogno the same person, PJ?
    Both write for Geegeez.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    Imagine last year Diamond King and this year Presenting Percy, if they had remained on their Irish marks..
    I imagine they might have won...
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    by only half the track.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    There are 100% a few doppelgängers on here.
    If this is any way directed at myself i'll give you a wager of any amount you want, sent by cheque to the moderator, that I have only one username on here, best put up or stop, this running down of new posters. If its not aimed at me I apologize.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Mangold View Post
    If this is any way directed at myself i'll give you a wager of any amount you want, sent by cheque to the moderator, that I have only one username on here, best put up or stop, this running down of new posters. If its not aimed at me I apologize.
    Apology accepted

Thanks

Thanks
    Larry's thin lol