Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ante-Post - Flat 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Briardale was the one I've been keeping an eye on. For trainer James Bethell. There was 25/1 available last week. That may shorten. Euros pick, Sixties Groove, shortening again today's into around 8-1 now.
    Last edited by Marb; 10th July 2017 at 1:24 PM.

Thanks
    I was worried Sixties Groove wasn't gonna get in but it looks comfortable now.

Has there ever been a better July Cup? I doubt it - and I'm taking Caravaggio on. The July's standard time is around 1.8s faster than Ascot's and I think that's reason enough given
    his odds and the stacked nature of the race. I took 8s about Harry Angel at the end of last week (also have him in a double with Bottaash from the weekend) and have also backed Limato at 6s. The case for the Cox colt is straightforward enough and with Limato I'm hoping he will have improved from the Jubilee where he was badly drawn.

The other horse that caught my eye for the July meeting was Cardsharp in the July Stakes. He ran a find race in the Norfolk from the wrong side of the track and 12s seems really big.

My Bunbury Cup fancy has been taken out but should run in the International on KG day instead.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 10th July 2017 at 1:55 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post

My Bunbury Cup fancy has been taken out but should run in the International on KG day instead.
    Kevin Ryan is the trainer to watch in the Bunbury Cup. He has a decent hand to play with the anti-post favourite Flaming Spear, and a lively outsider in Big Time, who's price keeps shortening up, from the 40's it was a few days ago. I'm considering Big Time for an each way bet.
    Last edited by Marb; 10th July 2017 at 2:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    John Smith's - I took 40/1 Tumbaga this morning. Not sure if it will run but ran really well at Ascot despite sweating up ridiculously beforehand. If it does end up running I can't see it being that kind of price on the day. I haven't actually done the race yet. This is just my gut at work.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    That horse finished just behind Dragon Mall that day at Ascot. He's another horse of interest in the race.

Thanks
    I was worried Sixties Groove wasn't gonna get in but it looks comfortable now.

Has there ever been a better July Cup? I doubt it - and I'm taking Caravaggio on. The July's standard time is around 1.8s faster than Ascot's and I think that's reason enough given
    his odds and the stacked nature of the race. I took 8s about Harry Angel at the end of last week (also have him in a double with Bottaash from the weekend) and have also backed Limato at 6s. The case for the Cox colt is straightforward enough and with Limato I'm hoping he will have improved from the Jubilee where he was badly drawn.

The other horse that caught my eye for the July meeting was Cardsharp in the July Stakes. He ran a find race in the Norfolk from the wrong side of the track and 12s seems really big.

Great shout with Cardsharp' Euro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fonz For This Useful Post:

Euronymous (13th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fonz View Post
    Great shout with Cardsharp' Euro
    Seconded!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Euronymous (13th July 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Will need to watch again, but first impressions were that Wings of Desire wasnt given a hard race then. Ill let dust settle and re-watch but the 16s for the King George is tempting.

Thanks
    Looking ahead to Goodwood I've backed Polybius in the Stewards Cup at 16s. He ran a monster race behind Danzeno on Staurday where he lost a length out of the stalls and was impeded at one point. An easy 6f will really suit him.

I'm mulling over Dai Harraild in the Cup. He shouldn't stay on pedigree but was strong in the finish over 1m6 at York in May in his only run over more than a mile and a half and I like the different form stream he brings to the race. Big Orange is tough as old boots so it would be an each way bet.

Thanks

I've also taken 5s about Churchill for the Sussex. I'm guessing the lads will want to restore their colt's reputation and what better way than beating Ribchester at Goodwood. I always favour 3yos in this race as imo the WFA is two or three pounds too generous. It's not their style to run Winter in this so if he's right I expect him to show up. Barney Roy I don't see as a likely contender given Ribchester's presence but even if he did show up I think he needs a stiller mile or even 10f.
    RP story confirming Churchill-Ribchester and intended clash at Goodwood.
    Last edited by fonz; 17th July 2017 at 8:54 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The race that happened at York on June 17th is a strong piece of form for next weeks Gigaset.

Above The Rest has won the Bunbury, Viscount Barfield won a listed event at Chester next time..

That's not forgetting Mutawathea rated 101 who is one hell of a good maiden having never actually got his head in front!

He was second in that York race, but twice the price of Viscount Barfield for the Gigaset at Ascot.

Being curious, If you had to pick one those three, what would it be and why?

Above The Rest, Viscount Barfield or Mutawathea?
    Last edited by Marb; 18th July 2017 at 5:54 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Any opinions?

Thanks
    I'd favour Mutawathea based on his form at Ascot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Marb (19th July 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah me too I think.

Thanks
    With a mixed weather forecast I think it's worth having a go at taking Highland Reel on next Saturday. Enable I doubt runs, Idaho is too tight and Ulysees confuses me a bit. I could dismiss him as a 10f animal but he should relish 12f on pedigree - on balance his poorish run in the POW relative to his Eclipse win is enough to put me off and so I've taken a flyer on Jack Hobbs. He was a lot poorer than Stoute's horse in June but 10f on quick ground is far from his optimum. A bit of cut over 12f is what he needs and he has two high class efforts over the last year or so to suggest he is good enough if back to his best. I don't really bother with Dubai form so I'm sort of hanging my hat on his excellent effort in the Champion Stakes last October where he stayed on really well from a poor position behind Almanzor and Found. 13/2 is fair and the race will cut up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (23rd July 2017)

Thanks
    I wouldn't be 100% certain that Highland Reel will turn up-surely it makes more sense for them to try and get a Group 1 into Idaho.

Thanks
    Looks like Enable might show up. It's a bold call so soon after her win at the Curragh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Any opinions?
    I have done Johnny Barnes. Saturday should have put him spot on

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair play, Outsider. Good luck. Mutawathea a notable absentee at the declaration stage today.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2017 at 1:54 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    The race that happened at York on June 17th is a strong piece of form for next weeks Gigaset.
    Don't forget the horse that was sixth this day, trained by David Barron, called Twin Appeal has been entered up for a race on Friday night and Saturday afternoon at York and Newcastle. This is the strongest tracker in my tracker list. I'll be hammering him in with a cricket bat and a 12 inch nail when and wherever he runs.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2017 at 3:11 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (24th July 2017)