Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kempton Park under threat

Thanks
    Sh1te sums this up.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, there does seem to be a bit of a backlash kicking-up, with Oliver Sherwood now suggesting racing needs to rally-round to save Kempton.

Couple that, with local opposition to the plans, and the fact that JC Racecourses execs would probably prefer a quiet/easy life, this might end-up going nowhere.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I'm struggling to see what this has to do with Kempton closing?

I'd rather the status quo was kept, but if they do go ahead with this, an AW track at Newmarket to replace Kempton, will not sound the death-toll for Jumps racing. Anyone who thinks it does, is being unneccessarily pessimistic.
    It might not sound the death knell but it's indicative of a trend...a dual-purpose course is (probably) to close and the response is to build a new AW track (within an hour's drive of an existing one) rather than a replacement dual purpose one. Just farm the NH fixtures out to anywhere, change the shape of the second most prestigious jumps race in the calendar significantly by moving it to a much stiffer uphill course, while ignoring the fact that Kempton's place in horse racing's pantheon is solely down to its NH heritage.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not so sure it is indicative of a trend, tbh........or at least, I can't agree with the suggestion that it is indicative of a move to dilute or otherwise compromise Jumps racing.

What I do think it's indicative of, is a company seeking to exploit its assets to their fullest. I think this a purely business-driven decision, and almost certainly motivated by balance-sheet considerations. It even smacks of a there being an overall strategy - a rare beast indeed, in the racing industry.

Well over 50% of the JCR courses are either exclusively Jumps, or dual purpose. Hard to believe, therefore, that there is some anti-Jumps agenda at play.

None of this means that it is welcome, of course.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 11th January 2017 at 12:35 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Can you imagine a similar proposal ever being made concerning Epsom, even though it would make more sense in lots of ways? It only stages one significant meeting per year and the course is a complete anachronism.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would be a staunch-supporter of such a move myself, Art.

Let the carpet-bombing commence.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    And the Curragh - we don't need that bar the training facilities
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    I make it there are thirteen fixtures to hold elsewhere and probably only three "classy" enough for Sandown. Carlisle has held the Lanzarote previously and Huntingdon the Charisma meeting so they could go there.

Thanks
    If the closure of Kempton does go ahead, it will be very regrettable and it will reflect very badly on JCR.

As for an all weather track at Newmarket, could they think of a worse way to spend money?

Thanks
    70 meetings in 2016. 10 attendances over 3000, of which only 3 days had over 5000. 21164 on 26/12, 11219 on 27/12 and 6614 on 2/5. Makes the average attendance about 2200 which is rather less than Stockport County in Conference North.

Cruddy little skid pan.
    Last edited by archie; 11th January 2017 at 6:46 PM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    What attendance did they get for 27/2 Archie?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    What attendance did they get for 27/2 Archie?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    On the subject of Newmarket AW, just where on earth are they planning on building it? Presumably it will have to link up with one or other of the courses to make use of the stands? Can't see it happening on the July course as you have the Devil's Dyke in the way and prime National Stud land on the other side. So that leaves the Rowley Mile. They could of course build the sand track at the back over the car park and extend the stands so they look out both ways - (vast expense). However that means taking a huge chunk of grass gallops which for those trainers on Racecourse side is invaluable (1m2f grass gallop which NH trainers use) And I really can't see ever getting away with building it out the front side of the Rowley Mile as those gallops are sacred. So they could build a straight AW track - mmmm? Interesting.

What interests me is the support from many of the Newmarket trainers (despite Chelmsford not far down the road) of letting Kempton be sold off for building. The self-same trainers who were so indignantly opposed to Lord Derby letting his crappy stud opposite Tescos be built on stating "historical sites should be preserved!" Well if Kempton isn't an historical site for the Racing Industry, I don't know what is!

From the sound of it, the JC haven't remotely thought this through. And if it is going to happen, why on earth aren't they ploughing this money back into those courses that could do with the funding to update them to make them more attractive to the public and so more viable businesses?
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    That is a shocking attendance for a meeting with three Grade 2 races and a top handicap chase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    That is a shocking attendance for a meeting with three Grade 2 races and a top handicap chase.
    To be fair, it's 364 more than Stockport got for their FA Cup 1st round match against Woking.

Cruddy little skid pan.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Not sure how effective these things are, if at all, but if you feel strongly enough sign up here

https://www.change.org/p/the-jockey-...ter_responsive

Thanks
    And how many do we beleive will be attending an AW track at Newmarket?

How many attend Chelmsford for the same fare currently?

I'd also suggest that the fact that they put a beach around the jumps course at Kempton hasn't helped, and the fact they did most of the damage when they added the AW course further damages the credibility of their intentions.

Thanks
    Chelmsford's attendances are similar to Kempton's AW. Average about 1000 in 2016 and highest a shade over 3000.

Thanks
    And presumably no reason to think that Newmarket AW will be any better. In fact if anything it's less accessible and may fare worse.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've signed the petition. Can't hurt and took all of 30 seconds.