Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Horses to Follow

  1. #1
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts

    Horses to Follow

    A thread to follow horses who have carried my money recently, and under performed. But may still be of interest next time

    Muckle Roe


    Got run off his feet at Uttoxeter last Friday [Backed him at 5-1] when only 4th despite going off favourite.

    Think he needs softer ground and or a longer trip
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    fonz (4th November 2016)

  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

    To remove these adverts please either login or join if you are not a member.


     

  4. #2
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Bon Enfant

    Let me down today at Wincanton when going off a well backed favourite [Backed him at 5-1]

    But horse got stopped in his tracks when almost falling 3 out. Was going ok at the time, though I don't think would have beaten the impressive Nicholls winner.

    I know connections think they have a well treated horse, and some small compensation today will be that he should be dropped a pound or two for finishing 8th
    Last edited by PlaceBacker; 17th November 2016 at 10:57 PM.
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (18th November 2016)

  6. #3
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Bells On Sunday

    Finished 3rd today at Ffos Las, had backed her at 8-1. Was well punted into 5-1 for a stable who like a bet.

    Looked a contender coming into the straight but got tired in the conditions after being a bit free on the first circuit.

    But it was an improvement on her debut run, and did have the 6-4 favourite behind. Do think this mare will win a race and would probably benefit from a stronger ride
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  7. #4
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Any Drama

    Only 4th today at Newbury despite being backed [Got 7-2] as if defeat was not much of an option!

    But it was his first run since 8th April, and his hurdling especially early on was not fluent.

    Did travel like a good horse though and when leading into the straight all looked good, but I think he got tired and a lot of the trainers horses have needed that first run this season. Jockey looked after him then and also think he needs softer ground.
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  8. #5
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    A thread to follow horses who have carried my money recently, and under performed. But may still be of interest next time

    Muckle Roe


    Got run off his feet at Uttoxeter last Friday [Backed him at 5-1] when only 4th despite going off favourite.

    Think he needs softer ground and or a longer trip
    Runs tomorrow [1.40 Ludlow]

    Has the longer trip but not the ground

    But worth an each way play @ 5-1 [Bet 365] BOG
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (28th November 2016)

  10. #6
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    2nd

    Ran well, think he would have won if jumping better.

    Small profit on the place terms, and will keep him in the list as should win soon especially when get proper winter going.
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Flemenstar (28th November 2016)

  12. #7
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Bells On Sunday

    Finished 3rd today at Ffos Las, had backed her at 8-1. Was well punted into 5-1 for a stable who like a bet.

    Looked a contender coming into the straight but got tired in the conditions after being a bit free on the first circuit.

    But it was an improvement on her debut run, and did have the 6-4 favourite behind. Do think this mare will win a race and would probably benefit from a stronger ride
    Runs tomorrow [2.20 Newcastle]

    Same jockey but he has had a recent winner, and comes back in distance which might help. 5-1 with Bet 365, had a small win bet and be interesting to see how she goes in the market as stable have had a couple of winners this month
    Last edited by PlaceBacker; 16th December 2016 at 9:47 PM.
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  13. #8
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Won


    She settled better under a good ride, ironically stronger than the 2nd horse got!

    Job done so we can now delete Bells On Sunday from the list with thanks
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  14. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,655
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
    Good work PB.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

    PlaceBacker (17th December 2016)

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Great job again PB.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carl For This Useful Post:

    PlaceBacker (18th December 2016)

  18. #11
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Steelriver

    Finished 5th today at Kempton. Recommended him @ 7-2 but he was weak in the betting at 5-1.

    My thinking was that being dropped back to 5 furlongs that horse would be ridden with a little bit more aggression at start by a jockey I do like in Martin Harley.

    But gelding was switched off straight away leaving the stalls, and was soon second last way off the pace. However when they started to come back to the field 2 furlongs out I was confident Steelriver would pick them up as he made the ground up with comfort on the outside but Harley seemed to think otherwise as he put the horse under no pressure just changing his hands giving the impression that he thought the race was lost.

    He didn't realise they were stopping quickly up front, as horse ran on well to only be beaten just over a length. Though not won for a couple of years now he is becoming a well treated horse and I think will be winning again very soon probably over 6 furlongs either at Kempton or Wolverhampton. Robert Winston gets a good tune out of Steelriver so would be positive if he gets on him again.
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (21st December 2016)

  20. #12
    Senior Member Double Handful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,289
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 52 Times in 46 Posts
    Followed you in on steelriver today and when watching the race I thought I'd done my dough straight away as soon as stalls opened. Then got a glimmer of hope again as he looked to have a chance to pick them up as you say. Will keep an eye NTO. Cheers PB 👍

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Handful For This Useful Post:

    PlaceBacker (21st December 2016)

  22. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chew Valley
    Posts
    3,333
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked 158 Times in 129 Posts
    The worry with Steelriver is that he's been stopped so many times the poor horse has probably forgotten what to do when he's supposed to be trying!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to BennyB For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (21st December 2016)

  24. #14
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Good point Benny...happens a lot with the Barron sprinters!
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  25. #15
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Bon Enfant

    Let me down today at Wincanton when going off a well backed favourite [Backed him at 5-1]

    But horse got stopped in his tracks when almost falling 3 out. Was going ok at the time, though I don't think would have beaten the impressive Nicholls winner.

    I know connections think they have a well treated horse, and some small compensation today will be that he should be dropped a pound or two for finishing 8th
    Runs Boxing Day [2.25 Wetherby]

    Dropped a pound for the quoted run, and Gavin Sheehan who gets on well with the horse is back in the saddle.

    The 11-1 with Bet 365 seems fair each way value
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (25th December 2016)

  27. #16
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Unplaced

    Poor effort, despite being quite strong in the betting. Puzzling
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  28. #17
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    A thread to follow horses who have carried my money recently, and under performed. But may still be of interest next time

    Muckle Roe


    Got run off his feet at Uttoxeter last Friday [Backed him at 5-1] when only 4th despite going off favourite.

    Think he needs softer ground and or a longer trip
    Runs tomorrow [1.35 Warwick]

    Like the amateur jockey booking and he has soft ground. Should run well and taken the BOG 5-1 each way
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  29. #18
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    ​Won @ 11-2Great ride by the jockey as horse relished the conditions to win well

    Job done,glad I kept the faith so we can now delete Muckle Roe from the list with thanks
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  30. #19
    Senior Member Tanlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    5,805
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 154 Times in 137 Posts
    Might Bite is a Gold Cup horse
    Formely Fist of Fury

  31. #20
    Senior Member PlaceBacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Steelriver

    Finished 5th today at Kempton. Recommended him @ 7-2 but he was weak in the betting at 5-1.

    My thinking was that being dropped back to 5 furlongs that horse would be ridden with a little bit more aggression at start by a jockey I do like in Martin Harley.

    But gelding was switched off straight away leaving the stalls, and was soon second last way off the pace. However when they started to come back to the field 2 furlongs out I was confident Steelriver would pick them up as he made the ground up with comfort on the outside but Harley seemed to think otherwise as he put the horse under no pressure just changing his hands giving the impression that he thought the race was lost.

    He didn't realise they were stopping quickly up front, as horse ran on well to only be beaten just over a length. Though not won for a couple of years now he is becoming a well treated horse and I think will be winning again very soon probably over 6 furlongs either at Kempton or Wolverhampton. Robert Winston gets a good tune out of Steelriver so would be positive if he gets on him again.
    Runs tomorrow [4.30 Wolverhampton]

    But its 5 furlongs, jockey wise George Baker rides which is good as he is in form.

    As is the trainer and I like the high draw, so a good run looks on the cards and taken the early 6-1 each way [Currently best odds of 11-2]
    Win some,lose some,but always enjoying it

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

    Colin Phillips (5th January 2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •