Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punting projects

Thanks

Punting projects

It's been a while since we had a thread about making money so I'm thinking why not put the theory to one side and have a serious go and winning money.
    Stage 1 of the plan is all about winning €1500 to finance Stage 2.Stage 2 is about winning a 6 figure sum.

Stage 1 -starting with a bank of €100 and try to find 5-6 trades per week to make a profit of 5-10% each.I'm looking at anything that will result in a profit -I think the main danger will be boredom but it's not impossible.I think it's important to stick to days and meetings with good liquidity-will post my day 1 thoughts tomorrow.

Thanks
    Best of luck Luke. Will make for an interesting read.
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Thanks
    The last time I tried it I blew out on leg 1-I think it's doable -boredom and lack of discipline are the enemies-I need to resist the temptation to get involved with all the rubbish aw meetings that take place in September.
    Todays target horse is Second Step at Windsor-stepping down in class but I think he needs to be fresh and also needs a galloping course-not saying he can't win but he is a good trade in my opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

Dave G (27th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Haven't listened yet but the latest Final Furlong podcast is about gambling strategies/philosophies.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Are you looking for suggestions along the way Luke, or is this just you?

Thanks
    All suggestions and alternative strategies are welcome.

Thanks
    Laid Muthmir.

Thanks
    Good start Luke.

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    How do you keep this project money separate from your normal bank roll?

Thanks
    10 years ago I loved betfair-as far as I was concerned it was the only show in town.Due to their absolutely shocking customer services and greed my turnover with them is down by at least 90%-in June 2008 I had over 40,000 commission points -last night it was about 3,500.it won't be a problem separating this project from my usual betfair business.
    Anyway the initial ton is now €255-will get Second Steps out of the way and call it a day.

Thanks
    Strangely enough this day last year I can remember making multiple deposits to lay the Weld horse at Windsor-Fascinating Rock-that was a bullet dodged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm loathe to put this up, Luke, as you're clearly playing with real/your own money, and not sure if you are looking for shorties either......but Max Verstappen is perhaps worth your attention at 11/10, in Betfair's 'First Lap Leader' market.

There isn't a great deal between the Mercedes and Red Bull this weekend, and Verstappen starts on the quicker Super-Soft tyre, whereas all those around him are on the Soft tyre. Mercedes starts haven't been great this year, and there is a fair chance he can chin Rosberg on the long Kemmel straight, if he doesn't manage to do it going into the first corner.

Good luck with the project. I hope I don't bogey it for you on Day 2.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanks Grasshopper-I don't bet on Formula 1 for the simple reason that years ago a friend of mine decided he wanted to be the first of his generation to bet a grand.Borrowed the grand from the bank to have a bet on a golfer-something went wrong and he had the bet on Mikka Hakkinnen to win F1 championship.You will remember the events better then me but everyone in the area I'm from became a F1 expert.
    The bet was duly landed and on the Monday after my brother was appointed chauffeur to this pro gambler in the making.After the winning had 4 or 5 pre midday pints they proceeded to Clonmel where after 3 or 4 losers there was a very tight photo finish-the punter turned to my brother and said he thought the one on the near side had it -and sprinted down the track to have 600 at 4/7 before my brother could mention they were 60 yards away from the finishing post.
    Ever since then I associate F1 with degenerate punting.
    The horse on the near side actually won the photo.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

fonz (27th August 2016), Grasshopper (27th August 2016)

Thanks
    The float now stands at 356 which is where I should be after week 3.
    Going to walk the dog and have a look at tomorrow's cards when I get back.

Thanks
    Interesting thread and well done with your stated bets Luke but are they related to the strategy you set out in stage 1?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fonz View Post
    Interesting thread and well done with your stated bets Luke but are they related to the strategy you set out in stage 1?

I havent been religious about my stated strategy but I have tried to stay as close to it as possible.I was pleased that I took a break before Second Step and walked away after he was beaten.I had a couple of near misses that could have been very profitable but against that Muthmir would have killed the project.

Thanks
    One of my favourite strategies is to back a horse that gets a favourable mention on tv and trade out of it when everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.Sheila Lavery gave her horse a very good word in the 5 o clock at Navan -I got on at 15.5 -90 seconds later I had traded out at 11.There was a great one earlier on when Blake & O Ryan gave a big shout to Sports Barrow unfortunately I was too slow on the draw and missed the price.These are the kind of things I want to be doing -getting into a position where I have a free bet.

Thanks
    The Tin Man is a candidate for that next week at Haydock. Hype horse who the pundits love.

Thanks
    I would have suggested Crowley for the jockeys title but his price is probably too short now.
    although I still think he should be clear fav, has the momentum, wants it, I reckon injury is the only thing that will stop him.
    How much does De Sousa want it? I took 13/2 just over a week ago and 7/4 yesterday, if he continues his run the odds can change fast.

Thanks
    Volatile market -which I like but traditionally poor liquidity on Betfair-which I don't like.