Thread: Newmarket supporting card

Thanks

Newmarket supporting card

There's loads of excellent action outside the two Classics at HQ this weekend.

Jack Hobbs is back up to 12f tomorrow, far and away his best trip, and I can't see past him but a short-priced fav I'm keen to oppose is Jazzi Top in the Dahlia on Sunday. She's odds-on with most firms but 5/4 with Hills. Nothing against her at all but why Arabian Queen is a 14/1 shot against her is beyond me. Even if you discount the Juddmonte form, Arabian Queen has plenty of other form which stands up against Jazzi Top's including good runs in defeat at Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood last year plus, importantly, a wide-margin first time out win at Epsom on Oaks day. I had her down as a 5/1 shot or thereabouts so taking 14/1 is a bit of a no-brainer, for me.

Sole Power looks up against it in the Palace House under a penalty and on rain-softened ground.

Swiss Range is capable of successfully stepping up in class for the Pretty Polly on Sunday.

Handicap runners of interest to me include Folkswood and Chester Street.
    Last edited by gus; 29th April 2016 at 7:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gus For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (30th April 2016)

Thanks
    Mutamakkin went into the tracker after his run at the Craven meeting. A couple of bookies had the market up for the opener yesterday and I took some 7/1 about him. There's been a 5p R4 since but he's now 3s across the board. Off the same mark, be disappointed if he doesn't go very close.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take The Helm is the best bet on tomorrows card in the 4:20. The form of his last All Weather outing finishing 5th is strong. The first and fourth have ran well in a better race since. Take The Helm has shown signs of greenness or quirkiness a couple of times, but he's shown potential. Coming to Newmarket against better opponents should sort him out. A good 6F test on a galloping track is what he needs.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th April 2016 at 2:42 AM.

Thanks
    Looks a fine card I agree
    Palace house looks a tough race but I'll probably have a few bob on Aeolus as he was encouraging in the Abernant, Hope cove in the 4.20 is in my notebook but I'm waiting for the move up to 7f so Won't be parting with any cash on him

Good to see Jack Hobbs back and hopefully an end to campaigning at 10f with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Mutamakkin went into the tracker after his run at the Craven meeting. A couple of bookies had the market up for the opener yesterday and I took some 7/1 about him. There's been a 5p R4 since but he's now 3s across the board. Off the same mark, be disappointed if he doesn't go very close.
    Now 9/2 with B365. Typical Stoute ploy of stepping up in markedly in trip when he's ready to take the wraps off.
    However, Arthenus constitutes a big danger. Thought likely to improve as he matures through this season, he likely be fit to take advantage of the softer ground while the weather's still in his favour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Take The Helm is the best bet on tomorrows card in the 4:20. The form of his last All Weather outing finishing 5th is strong. The first and fourth have ran well in a better race since. Take The Helm has shown signs of greenness or quirkiness a couple of times, but he's shown potential. Coming to Newmarket against better opponents should sort him out. A good 6F test on a galloping track is what he needs.
    12's out to 25's, someone is taking the ****. Glad I waited until today to bet it each way. The horse can do the talking. It's Marble versus the rest of the world lol.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th April 2016 at 2:08 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I said several times last year that Jack Hobbs would end up outdoing his stable companion Golden Horn.

Must say I was bitterly disappointed when he was well beaten in the Champion Stakes.

If there's any glitches in him this season he's going about finding them the right way taking on Simple Verse who is one tough cookie,

Not a race to be betting in. I do like SMS's in the 1st at newmarket......Which one?..wish I knew but happy to dutch them to find out

Mutamakkin and Intimations against the field 2/1 plus a rfc
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    That's a very good shout with Arabian Queen Gus. Price just looks wrong on so many levels. 12f wrong for her after the Juddmonte, possible she hasn't got full credit for that, but even if it flatters her, the balance of her form is better than the likes of Crystal Zveda and the Fabre horse that's priced on trainer rather than achievement.

Suspect she's pricewise given the row of blue on oddschecker just before 8pm but anything bigger than 8s still looks worth taking. Suspect Amazing Maria will want a couple of runs to come good again.

Think Tiptree is overpriced in the Pretty Polly. Had experience edge over Swiss Range, but did beat he all ends up fairly comfortably last year. Disparity in price enough to get me involved.

Good shout with Folkswood too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to davidjohnson For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (1st May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for glossing over my comments about Jack Hobbs, DJ.

I can see the argument with Tiptree but I just thought everything about Swiss Range's reappearance suggested she'd taken a big step forward. Her time was excellent. I actually ended up taking a conservative view of the time performance but it's still well up to Listed class.

Mutamakkin backers yesterday must have been disheartened to see him pulling quite hard in the early stages. Is it just me or does this happen too often with Hanagan? He puts me in mind of Philip Robinson a few years back.

Thanks
    On the subject of yesterday's racing, it was enlightening to read Buick's comments in today's Post about Hawkbill after his win in the 10f Newmarket Stakes: "He's opened a few doors for himself now and I think 1m2f is well within his reach."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

Mutamakkin backers yesterday must have been disheartened to see him pulling quite hard in the early stages. Is it just me or does this happen too often with Hanagan? He puts me in mind of Philip Robinson a few years back.
    I wouldn't blame the jockey. The difference in pace between that one yesterday and his debut run was quite extreme. It's possible he was just staying on past beaten horses in that race. I'll give him one more go though, the Hunt Cup would suit.

I'm also on Arabian Queen in the Dahlia, just missed the 14s yesterday afternoon.

Thanks
    Mutamakkin and AFB are both by War Front-would be interesting to see his sire stats.

Thanks
    Odds-on all week, before and after final decs, Jazzi Top is now out to 2/1. Any further and she'll be backable.

Thanks
    Odds-on all week, before and after final decs, Jazzi Top is now out to 2/1. Any further and she'll be backable.

She he was one of my biggest bets of last season on Arc day and I think that has to be the main target again -she obviously won't be 100% but 2/1 or bigger is a fair price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Mutamakkin and AFB are both by War Front-would be interesting to see his sire stats.
    According to the RP stats War Front has an overall strike rate on the flat of a very respectable 22% (66 wins from 297 runs). With his juveniles though he's 33% (39 from 120), which implies that with his 3yo+ horses he's 27 from 177, or just 15%. Quite a difference.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (1st May 2016)

Thanks
    Irish Rookie looks to have an each way chance in the Dahlia. Every chance IMO she'll stay the extra furlong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Why? She was behind Arabian Queen in the Nassau and We Are was the best horse in the l'Opera.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Why? She was behind Arabian Queen in the Nassau and We Are was the best horse in the l'Opera.
    Just think she was a steady improver throughout last year, she won first time out and is one of the likelier ones today to give her running. Easily opposed at odds-on or even 5/4 but they all have their price and if she'd touched 5/2ish I'd have had a small saver on my Arabian Queen bet.

Thanks
    Dougan could be one to follow on fast ground for the big field sprints this summer,he made some serious headway there and still looked full of running after being given an atrocious amount to do 1f 1/2 out.