View Poll Results: Brexit, Stay or Leave.

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

28 57.14%
  • Leave

21 42.86%
Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    Thanks
    You are reminding me of an Fd a worked for.. I could hand him a report stating that the board and their families should be beheaded and he would only pick up on a missing comma..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    It's staggering what a complete Mong the labour leader is. A genuine simpleton.
    He's a muppet, Clive, and I can't see his support being of any material benefit to the Stay camp. If anything, his "input" will persuade quite a few people to vote leave.

On a related note, I can see this referendum providing perhaps the biggest trading platform of the entire ear. A ten-week long lifespan with plenty of dips and high's to come. A trader's dream -- daily opportunities to get in and get out in what will be undoubtedly be a fluctuating market. Today I will take my first venture into the game with a 1,000 euro "buy". Purely gut instinct suggests to me that the correct play is to take a position with this sum on the "Leave" option at 2.98 on Betfair. I think that this price has a bigger chance of tightening rather than the "Stay" price of 1.50 has of contracting further. So be it, if it all goes belly-up, I'm psychologically prepared to lose the lot.

At the moment, the polls indicate a neck-and-neck race -- 40% each side with 20% undecided -- but doubtless there will be many twists and turns before the fateful day on June 23rd.
    Last edited by icebreaker; 15th April 2016 at 9:51 AM.
    Bitcoin: 1GyyygZmobehztUmHLdLWVKLqnfyJC5wzi

Litecoin: LL12qc8Fid3kt4QzkvFQ6SadSuxxZEi5Nh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Betway's 4/9 about 'Stay', is the best odds-on poke since 'No' in the Scottish Indyref, imo.

I don't think this is in any way close, in real terms.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    Suggests that there should be a standard minimum wage cross the Eu....

the idea that wages in Romania can be pitched at same level as London is beyond stupid.
    I'd be surprised to discover that he's actually said this. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that you're willfully misrepresenting what he did say though
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    I'd be surprised to discover that he's actually said this. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that you're willfully misrepresenting what he did say though
    Tied to the cost of living in each member state is what he actually said. I imagine clive is still smarting from the realisation that he lives in a part of the country where the worst drivers reside and has therefore not properly understood what was being said.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (15th April 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    does dan ever post anything other than thanking snide remarks? what a prick

His idea is that comparative minimum wages across the continent would stop excessive immigration. Hes an idiot. The wages in poorer states would have to rise hugely to effect that of course. and how? and then?

Each state has its minimum wage already. So whats he on about? If the EU forces higher minimum wages on poorer states what does he think the effect of that would be? I dont expect anyone from the left to work that one out ...admittedly.
    Last edited by clivex; 15th April 2016 at 3:11 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clivex For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (15th April 2016)

Thanks
    OK, I've dug out the Telegraph's reporting of his answer to the question:

"No I don't think too many have come, I think the issue has to be of wages and regulations. There has to be a case for a minimum wage tied to the cost of living all across the continent. There's nothing wrong with people migrating to work around the continent, but there has to be a level playing field on pay and conditions".

I'd have thought this was pretty clear to be honest. It's perhaps beholden on Clive to explain how he's extrapolated from this answer that Corbyn is advocating paying a flat rate minimum wage the same in Romania as London?

I can understand perfectly easily that you might what to use the same formula across the EU, but that same formula will generate different wage levels dependent on the country or even region within that country, that it's being applied to
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Banned
    Thanks
    So an EU "formula" will do what exactly? given that these states have minimum wage levels anyway? If it has no effect then its clear that nothing will change, will it? A pointless proposal

Pretty clearly If a "Formula" drives up minimum wages in poorer countries then the inevitable result will be less jobs and greater unemployment. Forced by the moronic left.

And what will that do to emigration?
    Last edited by clivex; 15th April 2016 at 3:26 PM.

Thanks
    I'm aware that John Major used to argue this line back in the 1990's, but even the conservatives abandoned their opposition to a minimum wage over a decade ago when the it was demonstrated that none of this actually happened. Indeed, today they find themselves supporting the 'living wage', something Osborne announced in the 2015 budget

I should say for clarity perhaps, that the introduction of a "formula" to be applied across the EU was something I suggested (largely because I can't think of any other way of doing it). I can't find anything in Corbyns speech that confirms he used the word "formula", so perhaps we ought to concentrate on what he's actually said rather than putting words in his mouth. Which kind of brings us back to what you accused him of. Are you now accepting that he didn't say what you suggested he did?

Lets just remind us of what you said

"It's staggering what a complete Mong the labour leader is. A genuine simpleton. Suggests that there should be a standard minimum wage cross the Eu. has there ever been a leader who's so Economically illiterate ? This is 5 year old stuff

the idea that wages in Romania can be pitched at same level as London is beyond stupid."
    Last edited by Warbler; 15th April 2016 at 3:45 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm aware that John Major used to argue this line back in the 1990's, but even the conservatives abandoned their opposition to a minimum wage over a decade ago when the it was demonstrated that none of this actually happened. Indeed, today they find themselves supporting the 'living wage', something Osborne announced in the 2015 budget

What are you talking about? these countries already have minimum wages. Cant you read? That is obviously not the point

You dont get economics at all do you? You would have to push the "minimum wages" in poorer states sky high to prevent wage emigration and that would clearly be more than their economies could bear.

in purely monetary terms People dont move for "cost of living" Never. What would be the point? They move for disposable income. what they can save and send back.

The left are not part of the real economy and have zero understanding of it. Polish builders come here because what they make OVER the cost of living is what is worth far more when they return home.

Really have to be pointed out?
    Last edited by clivex; 15th April 2016 at 4:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The left the left the left, is everything this simple?

Banned
    Thanks
    Far left marble. I Should be clearer.

and yes they are simple
    Last edited by clivex; 15th April 2016 at 4:43 PM.

Thanks
    The Treasury's report on a Stay/Leave scenario is due to be published tomorrow. What's the betting that their assessment of the consequences of a Leave victory will be apocalyptic? Project Fear will be ramped up another few notches.
    Question is, how will the Betfair 2.98 odds respond? Go out, likely, but by much?

Thanks
    Well, there you have it, voters -- a Brexit will cause a £4,300 loss of income to every household in Britain.
    The Betfair market appears unmoved by -- or sceptical of --the Treasury doomsayers ............. no change in odds.

Banned
    Thanks
    Its a nonsense figure. I doubt whether anyone would take it seriously. In fairness his piece in the times was pretty cogent and for me they should be concentrating on the arguments rather than spurious numbers

I am still tempted to vote out. The eu reminds me of those useless trade institutes that members have to join for accreditation but are stuffed with overpaid deadbeats

Ultimately the eu needs a good kicking from its members. A heavy rolling back of powers and a massive cut in its bureaucracy. Then it can survive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ed..
    Last edited by Marb; 19th April 2016 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (30th April 2016), G-G (30th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
    Well, there you have it, voters -- a Brexit will cause a £4,300 loss of income to every household in Britain.
    Voting the tories in the time before last cost us more than that.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here's my thought of the day...

People of all persuasions are mixing personal or private convictions with outright political expressions/opinions.

The lines between what is a personal /social/religious/ideological/economic preference.....then what is worth saying as an opinion for mass exposure are getting very blurred.
    The internet and social media has played a huge part in this.

The lady who said Isreal should move people to America has stated a deep personal conviction but as a political opinion it puts her in no mans land. I think the whole thing has gone way over the top, but her personal misgivings and viewpoints are not necessarily to be shared as a member of parliament. This isn't taking a key role in democracy and representing your constituants, its just information spilling!

The crux of the case indicate the media dug something out she said on Facebook about a million years ago, so she has been unlucky.
    But wherever you look these days you are seeing people getting the personal conviction and the public viewpoint confused. There is nothing wrong with having a viewpoint you don't (and won't) be sharing....
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd May 2016 at 5:14 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Voting the tories in the time before last cost us more than that.
    lol

source???