Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nicky Henderson Thread

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No Sprinter Sacre no Altior I don't expect NJH to be visiting the winners enclosure too often if at all
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lam'i Serge has a good chance, 7/2 looks reasonable.
    Last edited by Marb; 7th April 2016 at 9:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Latest blog with plans for Ayr, Sandown and Punchestown

http://www.roadtocheltenham.com/nick...on-latest-news

Thanks
    For a couple of years now I've pencilled in four French horses for our TTF Competition in the event one or more of them was purchased to run in the UK or Ireland, but none of them has been.The horses were Bonito Du Berlais,Shakapon,Blue Dragon and a mare called Kotkivova. News today that J P has bought Kotkivova and she will be trained by Henderson

From REP

KOTKIKOVA, one of the brightest young lights on the French jumping scene, has been bought by JP McManus and will be trained by Nicky Henderson.
    The five-year-old mare, who has won 11 of her 14 races, is already at her new owner’s Martinstown Stud in Ireland for her summer break.
    Frank Berry, the owner’s racing manager, said: “JP has bought her and she is spending a couple of months at the stud after arriving there this week.
    “It’s nice to have her and she will be going to Nicky Henderson in the autumn but there are no plans for races for her.”
    Bookmakers believe Kotkikova could be a strong contender to break the Willie Mullins stranglehold on the OLBG Mares’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival as Paddy Power chalked her up at 16-1 with Sky Bet just 14-1.
    Kotkikova, who had been trained by Jean-Paul Gallorini, has won twice over hurdles at Auteuil in recent weeks and was a notable contender for Saturday's Prix La Barka, which she will now bypass following her sale.
    She is one of three high-profile new recruits for McManus after the leading owner bought The Organist and Le Prezien for £260,000 and £290,000 respectively at the Goffs UK Spring

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

fonz (19th May 2016), harry (19th May 2016), Tanlic (20th May 2016)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    How good is kotkikova French experts?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Certainly looks the part and being talked about as one of Frances best youngsters seen here winning very easily https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIHvFDn4V4

Long Run was beaten in the same race by Rubi Ball so I imagine by French standards it must be a fairly competitive race.

Can't be a coincidence every race he has run in was soft or heavy.

Be interesting to see how he handles faster ground,

Him being a strong front runner I wouldn't mind taking odds that he will win his first 2 or 3 races under Nicky Henderson all at odds on.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Went to a recent after dinner do with AP as the main speaker. He was asked from the floor for one horse to follow this season and he gave Kotkikova.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not sure Grade 2 winner Le Prezien will turn out to be a good buy for JP.

He's got decent enough form but was totally flattered by his proximety to Yorkhill at Aintree

Yorkhill almost beat himself that day pulling like a train throughout.

Le Prezien travelled like a dream was going better than Yorkhill
    However by the time Yorkhill crossed the winning line the horses La Prezien had passed easily were right up his backside again.

At first glance it looked like Yorkhill had picked up after coming under pressure to pull away from La Prezien, but watching the way the 2nd and 3rd were closing them both down it is more likely La Prezien simply collapsed in a heap.

As I say he has decent form but the fact he finished 2nd to two of the best novices last season I reckon flatters him and Berry paying 290k for him makes me thing JP should take the cheque book off him

Over the next 3 years the horse will have cost JP about 350k all up,,,,,That's a lot of poppy to make up...I wish him well

Can't fault him on the purchase of The Organist who looks sure to win more races. Being a winning mare she probably already worth the money he paid for her..........Only problem with both is he should have sent them to Nicky
    Last edited by Tanlic; 14th October 2016 at 9:12 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    Went to a recent after dinner do with AP as the main speaker. He was asked from the floor for one horse to follow this season and he gave Kotkikova.
    Hope the food was good Ivan......AP tipping the winner of 10 races as one to follow is like us saying back Usain Bolt to win a sprint
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ivan....did McCoy give any indication as to how Kotkikova might be campaigned this season?
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Ivan....did McCoy give any indication as to how Kotkikova might be campaigned this season?
    Nicky was dithering about whether he jumps or hurdles midweek and it being up in the air anyway.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Whatever avoids Vroum Vroum Mag I'd have thought.

Spending a quarter of a million on The Organist seems a lot even for JP.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Henderson said, "We plan to run her over hurdles this season and she will take high order among the best mares in Britain and Ireland."
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to swedish chef For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (16th October 2016)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine he'd love to break WPM's domination of the Mares Hurdle he must be sick of losing out year after year
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I'll check with my brother. He was driving.

I was half way through my second bottle of red by the time the q&a session started.

I got my book signed though and had a good five minute chat with him about Gloria Victis and Cyfor Malta.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivantheterrible For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (16th October 2016)

Thanks
    How long until we hear Nicky say there's no suitable races for his horses? Can't be long now.

Thanks
    Yep. I doubt they ever planned on running it today.

Thanks
    NH on RUK says couldn't afford to risk running MTOY today, even though BG said it would be OK, as one more setback injury wise would mean having to retire him. Now considering Haydock and maybe back to Kempton for Christmas Hurdle before Cheltenham in March.

MTOY was at Kempton and paraded.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 16th October 2016 at 4:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    Henderson said, "We plan to run her over hurdles this season and she will take high order among the best mares in Britain and Ireland."
    Nice one, Chef - thanks for the nod.

I got Betfair to add her to their World Hurdle market a couple of three weeks back, and put up highly speculative/cheeky AF requests at three figure prices, though I can't actually tell if they were matched or not, as I'm in the Canaries (Spain not Norwich).

She could run in any amount of races at the Festival, but if they're staying over hurdles, it's a start.

Any chance someone could check the market for me, and let me know if anything has been laid?
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018