Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2015/16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts

Novice Chasers 2015/16

Paul Nicholl's novice chasers for upcoming season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXorbL78wXo
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanks again Granger. Will watch it on my journey home but looking forward to what they have to say about Aux Ptits Soins. Not many horses could have made the mistake he did in his first run in the UK - and only fourth ever run - in a race like the Coral Cup and still get up and win.

and for Scholfield to say he was the best he'd ever sat on simply after a schooling session must count for something.

Thanks
    He appears to be the pick of Ditcheat
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Glingerburn hopefully going over fences too
    Being a 7yo Kings Theatre it would be the logical step I would imagine
    If you write off the Aintree Run as being over the top his form over hurdles in the early part of the year was very smart, The novice chase at Carlisle Duke of Navan won last year should be a good starting point.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If Douvan and Minella Rocco go over fences that will be the 2 mile and 3 mile divisions taken care of.

Like Fonz I'm looking forward to seeing Glingerburn again...Hurdles or Fences he's sure to win more races.

Never ran a message at Aintree but after winning 4 races on the trot, in as many months, I have to agree he was most likely over the top.

Nicky Henderson was keen to let MTOY have another crack at the Champion Hurdle before his set back.

I doubt if that will be the case now Peace and Co is on the scene.

You can bet BG will be pushing NJH to send MTOY over fences as he wouldn't want stuck with having to ride him next March.

He's never been the best in a finish but over fences he could run ap a sequence in no time such is his high cruising speed.

Not a big fan of his but MTOY over fences might change that if he is over his tendon problems

If all goes to plan I could see him miss the Arkle and go for the QMCC if SS has gone.

Wouldn't want to be taking on Douvan who looks a real superstar in the making IMO ....wheras UDS may not be as good as once thought.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 27th September 2015 at 8:39 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Kitten Rock could be JPs best novice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    MTOY is absolutely made for the Arkle. and nothing beats him - if he gets there in one piece.

Thanks
    Keep your money in your pocket.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    MTOY is absolutely made for the Arkle. and nothing beats him - if he gets there in one piece.
    Very bold statement to make so early Reet
    Unless your a superstar the Arkle usually goes to horses that stay further and he's never looked like he stays a yard over 2m.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fonz View Post
    Very bold statement to make so early Reet
    Unless your a superstar the Arkle usually goes to horses that stay further and he's never looked like he stays a yard over 2m.
    Or fences the making of him.

will be 8 too, whilst not impossible, I'd think unlikely

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Or fences the making of him.

will be 8 too, whilst not impossible, I'd think unlikely
    He'll be 9 when it comes around.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    The Arkle's never been a stiffer test than the CH, Fonz, and with 12 larger obstacles to curb his propensity to pull his jockey's arms out, it should be the ideal race for him. Built like a chaser, and oodles of class, the only worry is the injury to Jezki keeping him over hurdles.
    Was searching for a price for him last week, but whatever it turns out to be, it won't last longer than his first race over the big ones.
    Last edited by reet hard; 27th September 2015 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    I've still got very high hopes for Beat That this season. His novice hurdle season couldn't look much better now beating Cole Harden and especially Don Poli. I was disappointed last year when he only ran the once, I was at Cheltenham that day and he was never fancied in the market (Geraghty chose Vaniteux) and drifted badly so wasn't too fussed with the 6th place finish as it felt like it was purely getting a run in him.

My worry would be he does seem like a horse that is hard to train and get right. Add in how strong the RSA could be. The likes of No More Heroes, Minella Rocco Aux Ptits Soins, Value at Risk and then the possibility of whether More of That, Killultagh Vic, Thistlecrack, Martello Tower and Un Temps Pour Tout just to name a few go for this or the World Hurdle means i won't be rushing to back him but he is definitely near the top of my thoughts at that stage.

Have to say I cannot see anything coming close to Douvan at this point. Obviously you never know how they will take to fences but the regard Mullins and his team hold for this horse, his size and scope and shear superiority over the novice hurdlers last year means I can't see past him. The worry as always is will he go that route? I was well out of pocket backing Vautour/Faugheen double last year in the Arkle/Champ Hurdle so more cautious this year but surely he must go Chasing and over 2m? I'm struggling to see who Mullins would go with in the Arkle otherwise?

Also on the 2m division - disappointed to see Val de Law out for the season, he was very much of interest at a bigger ew price. MTOY's is an interesting one, I think he could be electric over fences but agree with fonz - think you need to be able to stay and have a nagging doubt that Cheltenham really suits him

Thanks
    On the Irish side

HDB nearly always improves horses when sent chasing.

Sizing John will win races.

kitten Rock has long been thought of as a chaser

Alvisio Ville bit of a forgotten horse. Went off the boil after leop Xmas but one to note in staying chases

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Hard to fancy as a novice-chase prospect after a tendon injury, and still questions about his appetite for a scrap, imo.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Douvan does indeed look made for the Arkle and he would be my early choice
    It would be good to finally see The New One tackle fences, In hindsight he probably should have gone chasing after his Neptune win but it was easy to be seduced by dreams of Champion Hurdle glory and if he was going to win an Arkle it would have been the 2014 edition that's for sure.

Thanks
    The New One will target CH once more: https://twitter.com/AtTheRaces/statu...40593960288258

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    The New One will target CH once more: https://twitter.com/AtTheRaces/statu...40593960288258
    Madness
    They would be as well gearing his campaign around the Aintree Hurdle

Thanks
    Very surprising! Was also hoping he would go over fences (something always stated as the plan wasn't it?) or at the very least try the 3m trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as wasting-time goes, training The New One for the Champion Hurdle is about as good as it gets.

Mind you, he's never convinced jumping hurdles, and I don't think he has what it takes physically, to be making a top-end novice-chaser - he's a bit too scrawny, to my untrained eye, at least.

Not sure what else they can do, really.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 27th September 2015 at 5:03 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018