Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham Trip 2016

Thanks

Cheltenham Trip 2016

Have threatened it for years, but next March I should be able to make the festival.

Heading over for Gold Cup day, with Stayers Hurdle a possible but not overly bothered about that.

At the minute there is about 3 or 4 of us going. We are looking to fly out of Dublin on the Thursday, or Wednesday night if necessary.

Where is the best place to fly into/stay? Not too bothered about staying near the races, a city or big town within a half hour or hours travel to the course would be nice.

When there, what enclosure should we get tickets for? Decent view would be nice but don't mind if im not presenting the Gold Cup itself....
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    Also looking to see what hotels in Bristol are located central to areas with a bit of night life please.
    "Sometimes a horse is so far behind in a race, it actually thinks its leading...." Junior Soprano

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    I have always flown into Birmingham - its about 30 mins via train to Cheltenham
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Bristol is a good option. Easy train to the course and a good night out. Any of the central hotels will do you - the ibis on millennium square, or the Bristol hotel both worth a look.

Get club tickets - tatts is very restricted in terms of where you can go, and club is only a few quid more.

Try and go on the Thursday too - the Friday is actually the worst day to go. They let in 10k more people so it's too busy, plus there are a lot of non racing fans there for a once a year **** up. Also the support card is pretty ****, and once the gold cup is done with the rest of the day feels like an anticlimax.

Thanks
    If you need more detailed advice on Bristol just say - I live ten miles away and work there so I should be able to help

SlimChance
    I agree with Ben, is there any reason you've choosen Friday? Tuesday and Wednesday is a much better option to get a feel for the place. The racing is better and the buzz on the Tuesday will be best.

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    If you need more detailed advice on Bristol just say - I live ten miles away and work there so I should be able to help
    Great so we can all stay with you. It really is very good of you to offer. I'll try not to **** on your rug when I invariably overdo it on the cheap champagne.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    Great so we can all stay with you. It really is very good of you to offer. I'll try not to **** on your rug when I invariably overdo it on the cheap champagne.
    You won't be drinking cheap champagne at my house

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you only take-in one day at the Festival, it has to be the Tuesday. Nothing quite like it.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Another vote for the Tuesday here. For me, the first two days beat the last two by a country mile when it comes to being at the track.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Tuesday all round
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Agreed. We stay in Cirencester on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, go racing with minibus to the course and back Tuesday and Wednesday then home on Thursday morning. The Monday evening craic, when no-one has yet had a loser, is brilliant, as is the Tuesday first race roar.
    I'm not sure how the new buildings have changed things but, for me, £35 in Tatts is a much better deal than £65 in Members on the first two days. You should be able to upgrade to Members on the Tuesday or Wednesday if Tatts doesn't work for you but that wouldn't be available on Gold Cup day.
    Last edited by archie; 1st September 2015 at 3:45 PM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Boring, but another Tues vote here & would recommend Tatts ticket (£35) with a grandstand seat (£75)

Thanks
    For an extra £30 the members is well worth it for the freedom. When you consider the cost of del's trip, an extra £30 is loose change. If it's not, then obviously go for tatts, but if £30 doesn't matter then it is worth it.

Thanks
    Yes Tue and Wed are the best days without doubt.

I'll be surprised if they let Del Boy through customs though. That said if Slim gets through anyone can.

Thanks
    Friday is by far the worst day.
    All others great.....Club enclosure all the way!
    Last edited by harry; 1st September 2015 at 5:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try make the racecourse Tuesday morning to take it all in.
    Monday night in town is electric with expectation, shop windows decorated and all the rest; the nearest thing to "The Garden Of Eden " a racing fan can experience.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Don't even think about making the trip for Friday. It is as crowded and ugly as Slims mind at the weekend of Girls U17 Hockey play offs. Go Monday PM, come home on Weds last flight out.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanks a million for the replies, will be in touch about sleeping over Benny, I require a cooked breakfast, so just keep that in mind...

If I had the choice it would be Tuesday Wednesday no doubt, but we can't get off work until Wednesday, so that makes those days non runners.

Will now definitely go Thursday. Worrying trend developing here about Friday, is it really that bad. Bear in mind the following, I don't cue, I don't like strangers, or people I know, and want serving food and drink immediately after I decide I'm hungry or thirsty.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by del boy View Post
    Thanks a million for the replies, will be in touch about sleeping over Benny, I require a cooked breakfast, so just keep that in mind...

If I had the choice it would be Tuesday Wednesday no doubt, but we can't get off work until Wednesday, so that makes those days non runners.

Will now definitely go Thursday. Worrying trend developing here about Friday, is it really that bad. Bear in mind the following, I don't cue, I don't like strangers, or people I know, and want serving food and drink immediately after I decide I'm hungry or thirsty.
    Friday is terrible. If you buy just a Tatts you are really restricted where you can go and the stewards are like the Gestapo, it's far too crowded and even if you buy a Club and try to get out the front on ground level you can see very little and be squashed for the privilege. Agree that after the Gold Cup, the day falls flat.
    Apart from staying with family who live less than half an hour away, the way he drives anyway, I have only ever stayed in Bristol otherwise. Didn't go clubbing or anything mildly wild like that but it's a good place for eating, trains and if you would like any insight into local music, I can ask Big Bro number 2 to recommend somewhere for you.
    Vote Alfie!!!!