Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Juvenile Hurdlers 2015/2016

Thanks

Juvenile Hurdlers 2015/2016

Juvenile hurdler action returns on Saturday at Hexham which means that this thread also makes a return. Same concept as last season, I fill this thread with information and opinion pertinent to this particular branch of the sport and heartily encourage others to join in.

There was a collapse in my contribution partway through last season sparked by festive excesses but hopefully, my sabbatical will have done some good and can ensure that I maintain my good behaviour long enough to make decent heads and tails of the Triumph in March. During this sabbatical, I've not been able to keep a keen eye on the French 3YOs this season, thanks in part to France Galop killing off the free streams I have found nine horses from across the Channel set to be gracing UK racecourses, another three heading to Ireland and a handful of others whose destiny isn't set in stone. I will post some details on these horses next week after I've sorted out the pedigrees and given myself a crash course in French form.

To begin, here are lists of the top sires and trainers of the leading 100 3/4YOs of the past five seasons. I've removed the obvious NH stallions with the exceptions of Westerner (Ballynacree, Caid Du Berlais, Solar Impulse) Old Vic (Kie) and Beneficial (Abbyssial) who have each sired young hurdlers. I have left Dessie Hughes in the trainers list with a view to seeing how Sandra deals with Juveniles.

High Chaparral 15
    Authorized 12
    Jeremy 9
    Cape Cross 8
    Montjeu 8
    Azamour 7
    Galileo 7
    Sinndar 7
    Barathea 6
    Dubawi 6
    Nayef 6
    Poliglote 6
    Rock Of Gibraltar 6
    Tobougg 6
    Beat Hollow 5
    Califet 5
    Danehill Dancer 5
    Dylan Thomas 5
    Martaline 5
    Motivator 5
    Pivotal 5
    Saint Des Saints 5
    Tiger Hill 5
    Al Namix 4
    Dom Alco 4
    Dubai Destination 4
    Haafhd 4
    Kapgarde 4
    Le Fou 4
    Mastercraftsman 4
    Shirocco 4
    Smadoun 4
    Teofilo 4
    Alhaarth 3
    Antonius Pius 3
    Balko 3
    Bering 3
    Dalakhani 3
    Dansili 3
    Doyen 3
    Enrique 3
    Footstepsinthesand 3
    Halling 3
    Hernando 3
    Hurricane Run 3
    Iffraaj 3
    Le Vie Dei Colori 3
    Lemon Drop Kid 3
    Medicean 3
    Monsun 3
    Notnowcato 3
    Redback 3
    Sakhee 3
    Sea The Stars 3
    Shamardal 3
    Voix Du Nord 3
    Westerner 3
    Act One 2
    Alberto Giacometti 2
    Bernardini 2
    Bertolini 2
    Blue Bresil 2
    Captain Rio 2
    Choisir 2
    Generous 2
    Gold Well 2
    Great Pretender 2
    Indian Haven 2
    Intikhab 2
    Invincible Spirit 2
    Keltos 2
    Kentucky Dynamite 2
    Lando 2
    Lawman 2
    Librettist 2
    Lomitas 2
    Lucky Story 2
    Manduro 2
    Montmartre 2
    Multiplex 2
    Nickname 2
    Night Shift 2
    Oratorio 2
    Raven's Pass 2
    Red Clubs 2
    Red Ransom 2
    Robin Des Champs 2
    Saddler Maker 2
    Sakhee's Secret 2
    Singspiel 2
    Stormy River 2
    Turgeon 2
    Verglas 2
    Acclamation
    Ad Valorem
    Aqlaam
    Arakan
    Archange D'Or
    Assessor
    Astarabad
    Aussie Rules
    Avonbridge
    Ballingarry
    Baltic King
    Barastraight
    Beneficial
    Big Shuffle
    Birdstone
    Bushranger
    Cacique
    Camacho
    Captain Marvelous
    Catcher In The Rye
    Chevalier
    Clodovil
    Cockney Rebel
    Conillon
    Corri Piano
    Dai Jin
    Daliapour
    Dandy Man
    Dark Angel
    Davidoff
    Daylami
    Denham Red
    Diamond Green
    Discover D'Auteuil
    Dr Fong
    Dragon Dancer
    Dream Well
    Duke Of Marmalade
    Dutch Art
    Dynaformer
    Echo Of Light
    El Prado
    Elusive Quality
    Empire Maker
    Excellent Art
    Exit To Nowhere
    Falco
    Fath
    Flying Legend
    Fraam
    Gentlewave
    Goldneyev
    Governor Brown
    Hard Spun
    Imperial Dancer
    Indian Danehill
    Indian Ridge
    Indian Rocket
    Intense Focus
    Irish Wells
    Ivan Denisovich
    Johann Quatz
    Kahyasi
    Kallisto
    Kandidate
    Kendor
    Key Of Luck
    Khalkevi
    Kheleyf
    King's Best
    Laverock
    Laveron
    Lavirco
    Layman
    Le Balafre
    Lesotho
    Limnos
    Lord Du Sud
    Lord Of England
    Lucarno
    Moss Vale
    Muhaymin
    Muhtathir
    Mull Of Kintyre
    Network
    Nicobar
    Norse Dancer
    Oasis Dream
    Observatory
    Officiel
    Okawango
    Old Vic
    One Cool Cat
    Overbury
    Panoramic
    Paolini
    Papal Bull
    Peintre Celebre
    Pelder
    Phoenix Reach
    Pierre
    Policy Maker
    Polish Summer
    Proclamation
    Pyrus
    Rail Link
    Reefscape
    Refuse To Bend
    Reste Tranquille
    Robin Des Pres
    Roli Abi
    Russian Blue
    Sabiango
    Sadler's Wells
    Saffron Walden
    Samum
    Sassanian
    Shaanmer
    Sholokhov
    Sixties Icon
    Slickly
    Soviet Star
    Spartacus
    Spirit One
    Starcraft
    Statue Of Liberty
    Storming Home
    Stormy Atlantic
    Sulamani
    Tillerman
    Tirwanako
    Titus Livius
    Touch Of The Blues
    Trade Fair
    Turtle Bowl
    Val Royal
    Where Or When
    Whipper
    Windsor Knot
    Yeats

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

Aughex (4th August 2015), edgt (4th June 2015), Len Madeiros (5th June 2015)

Thanks
    Good to see you back. Looking forward to your insights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    "I don't bet on anything these days due to certain issues surrounding my compulsive nature and my girlfriend's phenomenal ability to nag me into a chasm of unparalleled despair".

You said that last year, BH. I have been using that quote ever since.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Really looking forward to this thread BH novice hurdlers can be real money spinners
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Yes welcome back BH and the first "proper" season long NH thread...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Good to see you back. Looking forward to your insights
    Cheers viking. And I yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    "I don't bet on anything these days due to certain issues surrounding my compulsive nature and my girlfriend's phenomenal ability to nag me into a chasm of unparalleled despair".

You said that last year, BH. I have been using that quote ever since.
    Thanks I guess... I only have one of those things at the moment. No prizes for guessing which

Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Really looking forward to this thread BH novice hurdlers can be real money spinners
    I'm looking forward to it too. Not sure if this thread will find as many winners as last season but it will be fun getting to know the horses all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    Yes welcome back BH and the first "proper" season long NH thread...
    Glad to be back Perpetual. The first of several for a long and exciting season.

My first **** up of the season occurred in the first post which is encouraging. It would help if I'd actually posted the list of trainers...

Paul Nicholls 44
    W P Mullins 35
    Nicky Henderson 29
    Alan King 26
    Gordon Elliott 21
    John Ferguson 14
    Donald McCain 13
    John Quinn 13
    David Pipe 11
    D T Hughes 10*
    Noel Meade 10
    Gary Moore 9
    Charlie Longsdon 8
    Mrs John Harrington 8
    D K Weld 7
    Jonjo O'Neill 7
    Brian Ellison 6
    Charles O'Brien 6
    E J O'Grady 6
    Venetia Williams 6
    Warren Greatrex 6
    Nick Williams 5
    Philip Hobbs 5
    Brendan Powell 4
    C Byrnes 4
    Colin Tizzard 4
    Evan Williams 4
    Tim Vaughan 4
    Tony Carroll 4
    A J Martin 3
    A P O'Brien 3
    Charlie Mann 3
    Eoin Doyle 3
    Jennie Candlish 3
    John Joseph Hanlon 3
    K J Condon 3
    Neil King 3
    Nigel Twiston-Davies 3
    Robert Stephens 3
    Sabrina J Harty 3
    Steve Gollings 3
    Tim Easterby 3
    A L T Moore 2
    Alan Fleming 2
    Alison Thorpe 2
    C Roche 2
    Denis W Cullen 2
    Desmond McDonogh 2
    Don Cantillon 2
    Dr Richard Newland 2
    Harry Fry 2
    Harry Whittington 2
    John C McConnell 2
    John Joseph Murphy 2
    Kieran Purcell 2
    Kim Bailey 2
    Lucinda Russell 2
    Mick Channon 2
    Micky Hammond 2
    Oliver Sherwood 2
    Paul Nolan 2
    Ross O'Sullivan 2
    Seamus Mullins 2
    Sheena West 2
    T E Hyde 2
    T Stack 2
    Thomas Mullins 2
    Tom George 2
    Tom Tate 2
    A J Whelan
    A Oliver
    Adrian McGuinness
    Alistair Whillans
    Andrew Balding
    Anthony Honeyball
    Anthony Mullins
    Augustine Leahy
    Ben Pauling
    Bernard Llewellyn
    Chris Gordon
    Colin Bowe
    Dan Skelton
    David Dennis
    David Wachman
    E McNamara
    Edward P Mitchell
    Eugene M O'Sullivan
    Frank Sheridan
    Gary Brown
    George Moore
    Graeme McPherson
    Henry Oliver
    Howard Johnson
    J F O'Shea
    J G Coogan
    J Halley
    J J Lambe
    J T Gorman
    James Ewart
    Jamie Osborne
    Jamie Snowden
    Jeremy Scott
    Jim Best
    Jim Goldie
    John Ryan
    John W Nicholson
    K R Burke
    Karen McLintock
    Keith Dalgleish
    Kevin Ryan
    Lee Smyth
    Lucy Wadham
    M F Morris
    M J Grassick
    Mark H Tompkins
    Maurice Barnes
    Michael Blanshard
    Michael Hourigan
    Michael Quinlan
    Miss Elizabeth Doyle
    Ms Joanna Morgan
    Nick Gifford
    Nigel Hawke
    Noel Quinlan
    P A Fahy
    P J Prendergast
    P M J Doyle
    Patrick G Kelly
    Patrick J Flynn
    Patrick O Brady
    Peter Casey
    Peter Niven
    Phil Middleton
    Philip Fenton
    Renee Robeson
    Richard Lee
    Richard Rowe
    Robert Alan Hennessy
    Robert Walford
    Roger Charlton
    Seamus Durack
    Seamus Fahey
    Stuart Kittow
    T J Taaffe
    T M Walsh
    Terence O'Brien
    Tracey Collins
    W McCreery

Thanks
    Juvenile hurdling returns to the National Hunt melting pot in its usual Northumberland wellspring. Whilst only a small contest, three strong juvenile stables in Ferguson, McCain and Ellison are represented although it's safe to say that these representatives are unlikely to be the stable stars.

As John Ferguson's Bloomfields operation grows from strength to strength, he seeks to maintain this growth and will be looking to find yet another Juvenile as strong as last season's flag-bearer - Triumph fourth and Anniversary second Devilment. It is interesting that he starts so early this season and his opening gambit is Mojawiz. His form can be described as fair at best. The most interesting line was in a Lingfield maiden last November where he finished fifth, ahead of subsequent listed third and Good Friday runner up Tempus Temporis. After being gelded over the winter, he finished third and fourth in two runner handicaps on the sand where doubts were cast over his stamina over ten furlongs at Lingfield and his attitude was called into question at Chelmsford over a mile in a race which hasn't worked out at all. He has a solid jumping sire in Dubawi (Hisaabaat, Dodging Bullets) and has almost a stone in hand on official flat figures so he wouldn't be the most absurd favourite in a race where favourites have a good record. Nevertheless, he was cast off by Godolphin earlier than most Bloomfields recruits and the questions over his stamina and attitude will need answering - especially on a stiff track like Hexham. Donald McCain's grey Fortuna Glas had three starts as a two year old, all coming in Scottish maidens where he never finished closer than six lengths to the winner. Learning much from his first start, his second start wasn't too bad finishing in sight of expensive dual handicap winner Yorkidding and then Derby entry Barbarous. He followed up with another fair effort at Ayr where he was sandwiched between two subsequent winners, both of whom warranting marks in the mid high seventies. Not seen since October, he has been kept away with a career over sticks in mind which can't be said of his main rival. His sire, Verglas, produced Lexi's Boy a few seasons ago who won four races as a juvenile for the McCain yard and being out of a Linamix mare who herself is a half sister to high class French flat horse Best Name, the trip at Hexham should be absolutely fine. There is then a leap in the standard of flat form to George Moore's colt, Egmont, whose best effort was a ten length third in a Nottingham handicap off 45. It's awful form really but it demonstrates that he does stay and in the spirit of grasping, the only other Notnowcato - Sadler's Wells nick to go hurdling was Kozmina Bay who won three poor races over hurdles and he's out of a half sister to the reasonable Orzare so there's a glimmer of hope at some point. The most interesting thing about The Name's Bond is that fourteen years ago, there was another early season juvenile called The Names Bond. This makes me feel like my youth truly is a thing of the past. The Names Bond (sans apostrophe) actually finished second to Quazar back in 2001 but his modern day almost namesake will do well to fill the same position despite the less exalted company. All six of his runs have come at Redcar and the best of his form is more or less comparable to Egmont's and though by a sprinter, he appears to shape as though a jumping trip will do fine. Brian Ellison has won this race in his last two attempts with Dilizan and Come On Sunshine. However, those both held favourites' chances which Ace Of Marmalade does not. Having beaten only one of thirty four rivals home in four starts, her flat form constitutes the best part of nothing. She's bred as though the trip might suit but any tenuous hope lies with her trainer lining up one of the more audacious plots in turf history.

Arbitrary 1-2-3*
    1. Fortuna Glas
    2. Mojawiz
    3. Egmont

Ace Of Marmalade 2/2 Shield 1st Novices' Hurdle, Galway 2014
    The Name's Bond 3/1 Papua 2nd Swinton Handicap Hurdle (G3, 132), Haydock 1999 (4/2 Nemisto)
    Mojawiz 3/2 Deadly Sting 1st Novices' Chase, Worcester 2015
    Egmont 2/1 Orzare 3rd Holloway's Hurdle (G2, 130), Ascot 2012 (4/1 Feux d'Artifice)
    Fortuna Glas 4/1 Fruit Defendu 1st 3YO Maiden Hurdle, Fairyhouse 2000

Sires
    Mojawiz - Dubawi (6)
    Egmont - Notnowcato (3)
    Fortuna Glas - Verglas (2)
    Ace Of Marmalade - Duke Of Marmalade (1)
    The Name's Bond - Monsieur Bond

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

BennyB (6th June 2015), Colin Phillips (6th June 2015)

Thanks
    Great to see you, and this thread back BH. I'm officially announcing this thread the new start of the jumps season.

I would back the Ferguson runner if he was evens. The first juvenile of the season and unsurprisingly its a pretty poor one, but Mojawiz is well clear on flat form and Dubawi's seem to improve when they see a hurdle. The others were nothing more than platers on the flat. For me he's the selection but no value at all, so unless he drifts it's no bet for me.

Thanks
    Great to see you too Maruco and I fully endorse your proclamation.

I would agree that Mojawiz clearly has the best bare form from the flat but whilst consistent, he already seems fairly exposed and has been a beaten favourite twice already. I reckon the ten odd pounds gap between the principals is well within the scope of the unexposed and freshly castrated Fortuna Glas. We will know by twenty-five past three.

I won't be home until tomorrow and even if it is a straightforward one to review, I would rather wait until I've seen it replayed a few times in the comfort of my own room than at what promises to be a blustery afternoon exposed to the elements.

Hexham ho!

Thanks
    Apologies for last week's absence. I thought I was going to be around last Wednesday to preview the Uttoxeter race but it was my friend's birthday and after much deliberation, it was decided at the last moment to have a rather heavy celebration. Thankfully, he's the last of us to cross into his 30s and that, in theory, should spell an end to silly midweek shenanigans. Also, a clip of the Hexham race has finally been uploaded so now I can finally do the reviews for both contests. Yay!

Hexham 6th June - 2m48y - Good

The first Juvenile Hurdle of the season was a poor one with the five runners bringing zero wins from a combined twenty-three starts on the flat and official ratings of 73, 59, 43, 41 and 38. Furthermore, the conditions were atrocious, beset with extraordinary gusts of wind (reportedly around 46mph) which threatened to call off the meeting. As such, the first flight of hurdles in the straight were omitted on each circuit reducing the total jumped to six and in the process, leaving just one to be jumped in the final five furlongs and a run in of three furlongs. To compound the future irrelevance of this race, the time was nine seconds slower than the opening seller.

As with many contests of this nature, the race was ultimately fought between the two horses who jumped the best and in the end, went to George Moore's Egmont whose best flat effort was a ten length third in a Nottingham 1m6f handicap off 45. Overall, it was his stamina that won the day but that's not to discredit his attitude as he really put his head down against the strong headwind. It is also worth remarking upon his agility as he was brought almost to a standstill before the first but managed to find a fractional amount of space to clamber over the hurdle. Always prominent, he covered a great deal of ground at the fifth flight (two out) and almost overjumped it but he found a foot and got away from it without losing any momentum. It was an error free round which demonstrated that he will meet much more success over hurdles than on the flat. Nevertheless, it can not be overstated how poor a contest this was and will be lucky to be granted access to the winners enclosure outside of plating company or in a poor handicap. Mojawiz started as odds on favourite and came into the race with a stone in hand of his rivals on flat ratings but his superiority was caveated by a questionable attitude - wandering on a few occasions as well as twice disappointing as favourite. His first jump in public was a little apprehensive and he was lit up for the first couple of furlongs but he soon settled and jumped proficiently from then on. He was upsides the winner and was last off the bridle but he began to be niggled when hit with the wind in the straight and did not pick up when asked. Though he didn't overly wayward on this occasion as he kept to a true enough line in the straight, and it could have been that the winner just really wanted it more, one gets the impression that this was probably the easiest opportunity for him to get his head in front and he hasn't done enough to bury the notion that he's a bit of a dodgepot. There was a seven length gap to The Name's Bond who, though keeping low company, never started a race shorter than 20/1 on the flat. He slammed on the brakes going into the first but his jumping improved from then on until he made a bit of a mess of the last. He did keep on at one pace which belies the stamina doubts raised by his sprinting sire but he's not an obvious winner and his proximity to the front two does them no favours either. Ace Of Marmalade was next and though Brian Ellison has a good record in the race, it didn't stop him from going off as rank outsider. Whilst never threatening to fall, his jumping was never fluent and this, with his finishing under fourteen lengths behind the winner, anchors the form further as his flat rating of 38 flatters him. Fortuna Glas is a very pretty looking horse but that's just about the only positive to be drawn from his trip to Hexham. In the context of this race, his flat form gave him a chance. His absence since last October may have been interpreted as his being kept away for a jumps campaign but in light of this performance, and his alarming drift before the off, there could have been something more problematic afoot. He pulled very hard for the first half mile, jumped slightly to the right at the second, lost the lead and three places in the air at the third, wasn't fluent at the fourth, became detached shortly afterwards and ballooned the fifth. In short, he has shown absolutely no aptitude for the sport and a career in modelling looks like the more appropriate vocation.

Uttoxeter 11th June - 1m7f168y - Good

The second Juvenile Hurdle of the season had more depth and class than the Hexham event with a cumulative five races collected from the flat with three horses officially rated 69 or above, one of whom had contested the Group 3 Acomb stakes last season. The standard of jumping from the majority of the field was very much more a spectacle than spectacular and the first two came a parish clear of the remainder. The leader set a decent gallop and the time was slightly quicker than the (poor) novices' handicap hurdle later on the card.

Dominada was the horse who had contested the Acomb and ran out a clear winner here. Though he finished just under seven lengths behind Dutch Connection and ahead of Mill Reef second Growl as well as Listed winner Prince Gagarin, the form transpired to be most flattering and an official mark of 69 reflected his subsequent efforts. He was reportedly described as a "natural" by Brian Ellison but despite running out a comfortable winner, it would be easier to recount the two times he actually jumped well. He was sticky at the first, ballooned the next two, steadied into the fifth, made a mess of three out, was untidy two out and stuttered on landing at the last. To his credit, he did gallop on for pressure but it was certainly his latent talent that burned off his foes than it was his jumping prowess. Connections suggested he would return to the flat after this which will probably provide more success than this sphere. Directional had finished no closer than thirteen lengths to the winner in four starts on the sand which is unusually substandard for a Godolphin horse. Thus his finishing runner up here, on his first start since December, has to be considered as an improvement. Unlike every other horse in the field, he jumped well throughout with the exception of a couple of tired leaps towards the end. With this in mind, it's hard to envisage where he would find a good deal of further improvement and as such, his scope is limited to how much he potentially finds for fitness. As Directional crossed the line, the remainder of the field were just about to jump the last. Fast Scat managed to finish in third place five times on the flat at distances up to a mile but her one hundred and seven length third here reflects how comprehensively she was beaten. She pulled hard early and jumped very slowly from halfway. If two of the other tailed off horses hadn't exited at three out, she probably would have pulled up. Bleu Astral wasn't a forlorn hope before hand carrying a flattering flat rating of 72 into the race but he also pulled hard, also lacked fluency and finished a further sixty five lengths behind Fast Scat. Rokbaan, a nephew of high class chaser French Opera, was lucky to stay in the race when David Crosse did a fantastic job of staying aboard after being clattered into by another horse at the second. He kept with the front two for the longest but was going to be well tailed off when falling at the last. Trainer Mark Usher has stated that he does not have a future over hurdles. Ventura Castle came here on the back of two wins in ten furlong sellers at Lingfield and Ripon and he was picked up after the latter by Jamie Snowden for £9,000. He wasn't fluent at a couple and was beaten before halfway though he well may have won the battle for distant third but for being loosely carried out by a loose horse. Being Paco Boy's first jumps runner, it's not surprising he was tired at the time of the incident and he doesn't look like a ready made future winner over jumps. Auld Fyffee managed to pick up a Wolverhampton claimer on the flat and is a sister to the dam of ill fated novice hurdler Aland Islands. Tom Gretton's filly left her back legs in over the first and was quickly outpaced. She kept on in a fashion from halfway and was battling for remote third before being inspired by the loose horse and Ventura Castle to sod three out for a game of soldiers. Following an uninspired quintet of efforts on the flat Royal Street somehow wound up at Warren Greatrex's yard. He was never fluent though and after putting almost zero momentum into his latter jumps, was pulled up before three out. Smugglers Lane was fully exposed as poor on the flat after eighteen starts on the flat although he did collect a couple wins along the way. He screwed badly in the air and lost Peter Carberry at the second and did the same whilst riderless at the third before creating his mayhem at the same flight next time round. An inauspicious start but if nothing else, he sets the target for other Juveniles this season having taken out three in the same race.
    Last edited by Bachelors Hall; 18th June 2015 at 8:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great to have you back.
    The only crib Grey and myself might have is that In Bloom did not make your top 100 in her season.
    Winner first time over hurdles and a natural this Montjeu filly was the source of sweet dreams until first a stress fracture and then other problems saw her form taper off.
    Pity as her victims that day at Navan finished sixth and eighth in Fred Winter.
    That said I am looking forward once again to you most informative thread.

Thanks
    Market Rasen plays host to the third Juvenile race of the season tomorrow and whilst it isn't saying much, it would be the strongest seen on these shores thus far. It features the return of last week's Uttoxeter winner Dominada and he takes on a french import in Chic Name and a fair flat performer for John Ferguson.

Dominada heads those with jumps experience by virtue of his win last week. Though he was a maiden after eight starts on the flat, he did put together a pair of solid runs at York last season. In a maiden, he finished within four lengths of 2000 Guineas fifth Celestial Path and next time out, his sixth in the Group 3 Acomb saw him finish within shouting distance of Jersey Stakes winner Dutch Connection and ahead of Mill Reef runner up Growl and Pontefract listed winner Prince Gagarin.His form rather tailed off as a three year old and sub-par efforts saw his official rating slide by over a stone. He made a resurgence of sorts when winning at Uttoxeter last week although his jumping was anything but polished as only two of his nine jumps could have been described as fluent. Furthermore, he only really got away with the race due to his latent superiority the field and it was suggested he would return to the flat. Nevertheless, he's back jumping with Richard Johnson on board so connections couldn't have been too discouraged and despite the penalty and the possibly stronger opposition, he has to be respected. Chic Name is the first French import of the season in these races and the third horse in training (first Juvenile) for Richard Hobson who's more famous for his exploits sourcing Hurricane Fly and Saint Are. The sophisticatedly named Nickname gelding has ran three times over hurdles. On his first start, he was third at Hyeres (Red with red,white chequered sleeves) before finishing sixth at Marseille and third in a Compiegne claimer where he was subsequently purchased for €13,000 (had I been inclined to reproduce videos of the latter two runs for your benefit, equidia have outsmarted me in any case - and rightly so). The form of these three runs is little more than rubbish. The best line comes from the last race where the easy winner, Jaromier, has since finished third in an Auteuil claimer and that line would give Chic Name an approximate RPR of about 84. Of those that finished alongside him at the finish, Akfatango was previously pulled up at Lyon and Robyx du Desert twice finished nowhere at Compiegne. Chic Name's Marseile race saw him finish behind one who'd pulled up over the same course before finishing nowhere at Lyon and another who fell at Dieppe and finished nowhere at Compeigne. His debut run saw him finish eight lengths behind a horse who's best subsequent effort was a second in an Avignon claimer and every horse Chic Name has finished ahead of has achieved the sum total of zilch. Nevertheless, it is reasonable to speak quite positively of his ability to jump as it is decently quick and certainly safe - it's possible to see him as more a chaser in the making. This being such a low starting point means he can't be ruled out but there will be imports later down the line who will bring a lot more to the table. Ace Of Marmalade was dreadful on the flat and he didn't jump brilliantly when fourth at Hexham earlier this month. The yard already has Dominada in this and it's difficult to make any case for this second string. Smugglers Lane managed to win twice and be placed three times from eighteen starts on the flat but the level at which he was racing was a poor one. He made it to the second last week before getting rid of his rider and made a bizarre while jump loose at the next before running around and taking out two tailed off rivals later on. Fast Scat managed to finish third at Uttoxeter but after pulling like a train, she jumped so slowly and finished so far behind that she would have been pulled up in most other races.

Two horses make their jumps debut here and the better of the pair looks like the Bloomfields' Mountainside. Beaten by over twelve lengths on his debut at Kempton last June when running green, he finished a closer third at Yarmouth behind two mid seventy rated horses and ahead of two subsequent winners. His latest start was at Wolverhampton in November where he improved again, beaten just half a length despite hanging left. The two he was sandwiched between are each mid seventies horses and it's difficult to get excited about anything else that has come from the race. Nevertheless, John Ferguson has had two runner ups from the two juveniles he's sent out thus far and Mountainside looks the strongest of the three - far stronger than Directional who chased Dominada home last week. What's more, both of them were clearly well schooled as they each jumped efficiently. Whisky Marmalade was not the most consistent in eight starts on the flat for David O'Meara and even at her best, she wasn't very good. Spending half her time in claimers and sellers her most promising effort probably came last time where despite meeting trouble in running, stayed on to finish fifth in a 1m6f Redcar handicap off 58 with Hexham wnner Egmot way behind. She has since joined Ben Haslam who won an early season Juvenile Hurdle for connections with Dance For Livvy a few seasons ago.

Arbitrary 1-2-3*
    1. Mountainside
    2. Dominada
    3. Whisky Marmalade

Mountainside 3/1 Vaporetto 1st Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil Hurdle (G1), Auteuil 1999 (4/1 Video Tape)
    Chic Name 3/1 Vie De Reine 3rd Prix Ferdinand Dufaure (G1), Auteuil 2002 (3/2 Vino Griego)
    Smugglers Lane 3/3 Albanov 3rd Tied Cottage Chase (G2), Punchestown 2008
    Fast Scat 4/1 Danegold 2nd County Hurdle (G3, 135), Cheltenham 2000 (5/2 Sacred Path)
    Dominada 5/5 The Last Stand 1st Winter Festival Juvenile Hurdle (G3), Fairyhouse 2005 (4/1 Le Moss, 5/5 Golden Bay)
    Whisky Marmalade 3/3 Tobar Na Gaoise 2nd Maiden Hurdle, Wexford 2012 (.5 Fabuio)

Sires
    Mountainside - Dubawi (6)
    Dominada - Mastercraftsman (4)
    Chic Name - Nickname (2)
    Smugglers Lane - Bushranger (1)
    Ace Of Marmalade - Duke Of Marmalade (1)
    Whisky Marmalade - Duke Of Marmalade (1)
    Fast Scat - Scat Daddy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Great to have you back.
    The only crib Grey and myself might have is that In Bloom did not make your top 100 in her season.
    Winner first time over hurdles and a natural this Montjeu filly was the source of sweet dreams until first a stress fracture and then other problems saw her form taper off.
    Pity as her victims that day at Navan finished sixth and eighth in Fred Winter.
    That said I am looking forward once again to you most informative thread.
    Thank you edgt

And yes, I fear you and Grey might be quite correct. The lists are based on RPRs from each season and are in need of some refinement as RPRs are very much an inexact science. Unfortunately, working for "a leading currency exchange company" pays very little and takes up a copious amount of my time so I have to make the best of what's available. Although if somebody is willing to share their Timeform login with yours truly, or better yet, give me a nice £22k+ a year job with reasonable hours then I'll sort that list out right away!

What is the mare up to these days?

Thanks
    I note that there were only four entries originally for Friday’s race at Newton Abbot, making it the fourth of four that have had to be reopened. This clearly concerns me as a lower demand might spell less Juvenile Hurdles in seasons to come.

Ah well, here’s the review for the Market Rasen race.

Market Rasen 19th June - 2m148y Good

Market Rasen's opening Juvenile hurdle of the season featured a winner, a French import and a 75 rated runner from the flat thus has to be considered the strongest of the three races so far. Nevertheless, the standard was not a strong one and half a second slower than the lowly opening Novices' Handicap, this form is unlikely to carry much weight beyond the summer months.

Being a son of a Coronation Stakes winner, it wasn't massively foreseeable that Mountainside would embark on a hurdles career so early in life but the hand was rather forced with his refusal to enter starting stalls and he wasn't entirely straight forward as a two year old in any case. Elements of his errant resurfaced on his hurdling debut as his head bobbed around a fair bit as he ran around a fair bit. Losing ground in the middle of the back straight, he had to be cajoled in order to stay in contention but he responded quickly when asked a serious question turning in and swiftly moved into second. From then on, he kept closing on the tiring leader before passing him and coming clear on the flat. There is a suspicion however that his effort was sustained by the fact that he was chasing after the loose horse and it remains to be seen if he will stand up in a real battle. Overall, his jumping was adequate but could have been more polished, particularly at the first and last two flights. At this stage, he doesn't look like a complete natural but there is plenty of scope for him to find enough improvement to win another one of these under a penalty. Dominada led from the start and was left clear after the third. His jumping, as on his debut, was still a mixed bag as he hit the third, took off too late at the fourth and was awkward at the sixth but the ones he did get right were done very nicely. He was tired when taking off late at the penultimate flight and though he put in a clean jump at the last, he was slow getting away and it would be fair to assume he didn't see out this trip which was almost a furlong longer than the Uttoxeter race. Perhaps there's another race in him over a shorter trip, or under a more restrained ride, before the division gets more competitive. Ace Of Marmalade had terrible form on the flat and didn't shape with a great deal of promise at Hexham so his running on second here can only be seen as a career best. He made a couple of errors when unsighted and interfered with and an unforced error at the fourth but otherwise, jumped very cleanly. Clearly a better hurdler than a flat performer, it's not hard to envisage him finishing placed in a weak contest but it would take a very poor race for him to claim one of his own. There was a break of six lengths to Fast Scat who is another who left her debut effort behind. She pulled early and was awkward at the second and fourth. She was jumped into at the fifth which she didn't enjoy but otherwise, she jumped well before tiring in the straight. This was her twelve start under rules, she isn't a stayer and is exposed as a low grade operator but she could run into a place in a weak enough contest. Apart from jumping into Fast Scat, Smugglers Lane didn't cause a spectacle quite like he did at Uttoxeter and jumped OK in the main but never looked like getting competitive and was well beaten in the end. He's since finished way down the field in a Bath handicap. Chic Name had three runs over hurdles in France but the form of those runs doesn't amount to a lot and there wasn't really any confidence in him in the market. He seemed somewhat perplexed by English hurdles steadying into a few of them. Chic Name, as in France, also jumped rather big at them suggesting if there's any potential, then it might be over fences. He was being hard ridden from the back straight and ultimately, was beaten out of sight. There was nothing in this outing to suggest he'll be competitive any time soon. Whisky Marmalade was no more than claiming class on the flat but didn't stay in the race for long. She was a bit awkward at the second causing Andrew Tinkler to lose his right iron who couldn't get it back in the short run to the third where another awkward jump (which wouldn't have caused an unseat in and of itself) got rid of him. Whilst it was encouraging that she carried on loose with the field jumping all the hurdles in the process, she wasn't exactly nimble at those either. As such, she can only be watched for the time being.

Thanks
    I've also refined the leading sires and leading trainers lists so that all bumper performances have been eliminated leaving only Juvenile Hurdle runs. I've also done a list for damsires which, unsurprisingly, is a long one. Unfortunately, In Bloom still has not made the list so in an exclusive for the talkinghorses forum, the list is the leading 501 Juveniles inclusive of In Bloom.

Sires

High Chaparral 16
    Authorized 13
    Cape Cross 10
    Galileo 10
    Jeremy 10
    Montjeu 10*
    Nayef 8
    Azamour 7
    Barathea 7
    Rock Of Gibraltar 7
    Sinndar 7
    Danehill Dancer 6
    Pivotal 6
    Poliglote 6
    Califet 5
    Dubai Destination 5
    Dubawi 5
    Haafhd 5
    Hurricane Run 5
    Mastercraftsman 5
    Saint Des Saints 5
    Teofilo 5
    Al Namix 4
    Dom Alco 4
    Dylan Thomas 4
    Halling 4
    Le Fou 4
    Motivator 4
    Notnowcato 4
    Redback 4
    Smadoun 4
    Tiger Hill 4
    Tobougg 4
    Acclamation 3
    Alhaarth 3
    Aussie Rules 3
    Beat Hollow 3
    Bering 3
    Captain Rio 3
    Dalakhani 3
    Dansili 3
    Enrique 3
    Footstepsinthesand 3
    Great Pretender 3
    Hernando 3
    Iffraaj 3
    Indian Haven 3
    Lemon Drop Kid 3
    Monsun 3
    Multiplex 3
    Oratorio 3
    Sakhee 3
    Sea The Stars 3
    Shamardal 3
    Shirocco 3
    Spartacus 3
    Westerner 3
    Act One 2
    Ad Valorem 2
    Antonius Pius 2
    Arakan 2
    Balko 2
    Bernardini 2
    Bertolini 2
    Blue Bresil 2
    Choisir 2
    Clodovil 2
    Doyen 2
    Dynaformer 2
    Imperial Dancer 2
    Intikhab 2
    Invincible Spirit 2
    Kapgarde 2
    Keltos 2
    Kentucky Dynamite 2
    Key Of Luck 2
    Lando 2
    Lawman 2
    Le Vie Dei Colori 2
    Librettist 2
    Lucky Story 2
    Manduro 2
    Martaline 2
    Montmartre 2
    Muhaymin 2
    Nickname 2
    Night Shift 2
    One Cool Cat 2
    Peintre Celebre 2
    Red Clubs 2
    Red Ransom 2
    Saddler Maker 2
    Sakhee's Secret 2
    Statue Of Liberty 2
    Stormy River 2
    Trade Fair 2
    Turgeon 2
    Verglas 2
    Voix Du Nord 2
    Whipper 2
    Alberto Giacometti
    Antarctique
    Aqlaam
    Archange D'Or
    Assessor
    Avonbridge
    Ballingarry
    Baltic King
    Barastraight
    Beneficial
    Big Shuffle
    Birdstone
    Bushranger
    Cacique
    Camacho
    Captain Marvelous
    Catcher In The Rye
    Chevalier
    Cockney Rebel
    Conillon
    Corri Piano
    Dai Jin
    Daliapour
    Dandy Man
    Dark Angel
    Davidoff
    Daylami
    Denham Red
    Diamond Green
    Discover D'Auteuil
    Doctor Dino
    Dr Fong
    Dragon Dancer
    Dream Well
    Duke Of Marmalade
    Dutch Art
    Echo Of Light
    El Prado
    Empire Maker
    Equerry
    Excellent Art
    Exit To Nowhere
    Falco
    Fasliyev
    Fath
    Fraam
    Generous
    Gentlewave
    Goldneyev
    Governor Brown
    Great Exhibition
    Hard Spun
    Indian Danehill
    Indian Ridge
    Indian Rocket
    Intense Focus
    Irish Wells
    Ivan Denisovich
    Johann Quatz
    Kahyasi
    Kallisto
    Kandidate
    Kendor
    Khalkevi
    Kheleyf
    King's Best
    Laverock
    Laveron
    Lavirco
    Layman
    Le Balafre
    Lesotho
    Limnos
    Lomitas
    Lord Du Sud
    Lord Of England
    Lucarno
    Malinas
    Medicean
    Monsieur Bond
    Moss Vale
    Muhtathir
    Mull Of Kintyre
    Network
    Nicobar
    Norse Dancer
    Oasis Dream
    Observatory
    Officiel
    Okawango
    Old Vic
    Orpen
    Panoramic
    Paolini
    Papal Bull
    Passing Glance
    Pelder
    Phoenix Reach
    Policy Maker
    Polish Summer
    Proclamation
    Pyrus
    Rail Link
    Raven's Pass
    Reefscape
    Refuse To Bend
    Reste Tranquille
    Robin Des Champs
    Robin Des Pres
    Russian Blue
    Sadler's Wells
    Saffron Walden
    Samum
    Sassanian
    Shaanmer
    Sholokhov
    Singspiel
    Sixties Icon
    Slickly
    Solon
    Soviet Star
    Spirit One
    Starcraft
    Storming Home
    Stormy Atlantic
    Strategic Prince
    Tillerman
    Tirwanako
    Titus Livius
    Touch Of The Blues
    Turtle Bowl
    Val Royal
    Where Or When
    Windsor Knot
    Yeats
    Zamindar

Trainers

Paul Nicholls 44
    W P Mullins 32
    Alan King 25
    Nicky Henderson 23
    Gordon Elliott 21
    John Quinn 15
    John Ferguson 14
    D T Hughes 12
    Donald McCain 12
    Noel Meade 12
    David Pipe 11
    Gary Moore 9
    Jonjo O'Neill 8
    Mrs John Harrington 7
    Tim Vaughan 7
    Venetia Williams 7
    Brian Ellison 6
    Charles O'Brien 6
    D K Weld 6
    Brendan Powell 5
    Charlie Longsdon 5
    E J O'Grady 5
    Evan Williams 5
    Nick Williams 5
    Tony Carroll 5
    A J Martin 4
    C Byrnes 4
    Neil King 4
    Philip Hobbs 4
    Sheena West 4
    Charlie Mann 3
    Lucinda Russell 3
    Steve Gollings 3
    Eoin Doyle 3
    Jennie Candlish 3
    K J Condon 3
    Sabrina J Harty 3
    Tim Easterby 3
    Warren Greatrex 3
    A L T Moore 2
    A P O'Brien 2
    Alan Fleming 2
    Alison Thorpe 2
    Denis W Cullen 2
    Desmond McDonogh 2
    Dr Richard Newland 2
    Harry Fry 2
    Harry Whittington 2
    J F O'Shea 2
    J Halley 2
    James Ewart 2
    Jamie Snowden 2
    Jim Best 2
    John C McConnell 2
    John Joseph Murphy 2
    Kieran Purcell 2
    Kim Bailey 2
    M F Morris 2
    Mick Channon 2
    Micky Hammond 2
    Nigel Twiston-Davies 2
    Oliver Sherwood 2
    Patrick J Flynn 2
    Robert Stephens 2
    Robert Walford 2
    Ross O'Sullivan 2
    Seamus Mullins 2
    T Stack 2
    Tom George 2
    Tom Tate 2
    A J Whelan
    A Oliver
    Adrian McGuinness
    Andrew Balding
    Anthony Honeyball
    Anthony Mullins
    Augustine Leahy
    Ben De Haan
    Ben Pauling
    Bernard Llewellyn
    Brendan W Duke
    C F Swan
    C Roche
    Chris Gordon
    Colin Tizzard
    D J Bunyan
    Dan Skelton
    David Dennis
    David Wachman
    E McNamara
    Edward P Harty*
    Edward P Mitchell
    Eugene M O'Sullivan
    Frank Sheridan
    Gary Brown
    George Moore
    Graeme McPherson
    Henry Oliver
    Howard Johnson
    J G Coogan
    J J Lambe
    J Larkin
    J T Gorman
    James Bethell
    Jamie Osborne
    Jeremy Scott
    Jim Goldie
    John Joseph Hanlon
    John Queally
    John Ryan
    John W Nicholson
    K R Burke
    Kevin Prendergast
    Kevin Ryan
    Lee Smyth
    Lucy Wadham
    M J Grassick
    Mark H Tompkins
    Maurice Barnes
    Michael Blanshard
    Michael Burke
    Michael Mulvany
    Michael Quinlan
    Mrs K Burke
    Ms Joanna Morgan
    Nigel Hawke
    Noel Quinlan
    P J Prendergast
    Patrick G Kelly
    Patrick O Brady
    Paul Nolan
    Paul W Flynn
    Peter Casey
    Peter Hedger
    Peter Niven
    Phil Middleton
    Reg Hollinshead
    Renee Robeson
    Richard Fahey
    Richard Lee
    Richard Rowe
    Robert Alan Hennessy
    Robert Tyner
    S J Treacy
    Sarah Humphrey
    Seamus Durack
    Seamus Fahey
    T Hogan
    T J Taaffe
    T M Walsh
    Thomas Mullins
    Tim Walford
    Timothy Doyle
    Tracey Collins
    W McCreery

Damsires

Sadler's Wells 23
    Darshaan 10
    Rainbow Quest 10
    Danehill 9
    Linamix 8
    Highest Honor 7
    Cadoudal 6
    Grand Lodge 6
    Night Shift 6
    Alzao 5
    Mansonnien 5
    Revoque 5
    Unfuwain 5
    Woodman 5*
    Anabaa 4
    Barathea 4
    Cadeaux Genereux 4
    Desert Prince 4
    Efisio 4
    Galileo 4
    Groom Dancer 4
    Indian Ridge 4
    Machiavellian 4
    Nashwan 4
    Acatenango 3
    Big Shuffle 3
    Diesis 3
    Dom Pasquini 3
    Dr Fong 3
    Fairy King 3
    Hernando 3
    Kahyasi 3
    Kaldoun 3
    Kaldounevees 3
    Lear Fan 3
    Mark Of Esteem 3
    Monsun 3
    Red Ransom 3
    Royal Academy 3
    Smadoun 3
    Suave Dancer 3
    Trempolino 3
    Ashkalani 2
    Baryshnikov 2
    Bering 2
    Bertolini 2
    Blushing Flame 2
    Caerleon 2
    Charnwood Forest 2
    Common Grounds 2
    Danzig 2
    Daylami 2
    Denham Red 2
    Desert Style 2
    Doyoun 2
    Dynaformer 2
    Entrepreneur 2
    Exit To Nowhere 2
    Garde Royale 2
    Giant's Causeway 2
    Gone West 2
    Great Palm 2
    Green Desert 2
    Gulch 2
    In The Wings 2
    Irish River 2
    Josr Algarhoud 2
    Kadalko 2
    Kendor 2
    King's Best 2
    Kingmambo 2
    Lahib 2
    Lake Coniston 2
    Lando 2
    Law Society 2
    Lesotho 2
    Lujain 2
    Mtoto 2
    Namid 2
    Observatory 2
    Orpen 2
    Pivotal 2
    Polar Falcon 2
    Poliglote 2
    Polish Precedent 2
    Primo Dominie 2
    Pursuit Of Love 2
    Robin des Champs 2
    Rock Of Gibraltar 2
    Seeking The Gold 2
    Selkirk 2
    Shirley Heights 2
    Subotica 2
    Surumu 2
    Valanour 2
    Vettori 2
    Village Star 2
    War Chant 2
    Zafonic 2
    Abdonski
    Adieu Au Roi
    Akarad
    Alhaarth
    Alleged
    April Night
    Arazi
    Artan
    Atraf
    Auction Ring
    Bad Conduct
    Bahri
    Ballacashtal
    Bay Express
    Be My Chief
    Be My Guest
    Beyssac
    Bluebird
    Blushing Groom
    Cagliostro
    Call Me Sam
    Cee's Tizzy
    Chamberlin
    Cherokee Run
    Cloudings
    Colony Light
    Court
    Cozzene
    Cyborg
    Dalakhani
    Danasinga
    Danetime
    Dark Stone
    Dashing Blade
    Desert Story
    Diamond Prospect
    Diktat
    Distant View
    Dom Alco
    Double Bed
    Dr Devious
    Dumaani
    El Gran Senor
    En Calcat
    Epervier Bleu
    Eurobus
    Ezzoud
    Fantastic Light
    Fayruz
    Fijar Tango
    Fleetwood
    Fort Wood
    Fraam
    Grand Slam
    Green Tune
    Greensmith
    Grindstone
    Halling
    Hamas
    Hawker's News
    Hector Protector
    Homme De Loi
    Horse Chestnut
    Indian River
    Intikhab
    Invincible Spirit
    Jeune Homme
    Johannesburg
    Kalann
    Karinga Bay
    Key Of Luck
    King's Theatre
    Kris S
    Last Tycoon
    Le Balafre
    Le Glorieux
    Lemon Drop Kid
    Lil's Boy
    Lomond
    Lost World
    Lure
    Lycius
    Lyphard's Wish
    Magical Wonder
    Majestic Light
    Marasali
    Marchand de Sable
    Marju
    Medicean
    Mister Baileys
    Miswaki
    Montelimar
    Montjeu
    Mozart
    Mr Greeley
    Mr Prospector
    Mt. Livermore
    Muhtarram
    Mujtahid
    Mukaddamah
    Nayef
    Nebos
    Network
    Nikos
    Nordico
    Northern Crystal
    Panoramic
    Passing Sale
    Pennekamp
    Petong
    Pharly
    Pistolet Bleu
    Port Etienne
    Pot d'Or
    Prince Fast
    Private Account
    Quart De Vin
    R B Chesne
    Ragmar
    Rahy
    Rainbows For Life
    Redback
    Rienzi
    Robellino
    Rodrigo De Triano
    Roi de Rome
    Saddlers' Hall
    Sagamix
    Saint Ballado
    Salse
    Salt Dome
    Samum
    Scenic
    Second Empire
    Sendawar
    Shareef Dancer
    Shernazar
    Sheyrann
    Siam
    Signe Divin
    Silver Hawk
    Simon du Desert
    Sinndar
    Sir Ivor
    Sleeping Car
    Sleeping Car
    Slew O'Gold
    Slip Anchor
    Solar One
    Solido
    Soviet Star
    Spectrum
    Starborough
    Storm Cat
    Stravinsky
    Swain
    Tagel
    Tagula
    Taufan
    Terimon
    Theatrical
    Theatrical Charmer
    Tiger Hill
    Tin Soldier
    Tip Moss
    Top Ville
    Tour d'Or
    Traditionally
    Tragic Role
    Turgeon
    Turtle Island
    Unbridled
    Unbridled's Song
    Up And At 'Em
    Urban Ocean
    Useful
    Valdez
    Video Rock
    Waajib
    With Approval
    Xaar
    Zilzal

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

edgt (2nd July 2015), Toffee (2nd July 2015)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Phew!!!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Would keep your eye on the first two races at Clairefontaine on Tuesday - won by Curieux (Macaire - very decent time) and Alma Marceau (first foal of a G1 placed mare). Both were winners on debut, most impressive winner of the meeting was Campeador owned by Lord Daresbury who had finished runner-up at Nantes on debut.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    I am quite surprised to see Nicky Henderson placed in 4th place on 23. He is someone who I follow for novice/juvenile hurdles races so I will be very much looking forward to what you unearth as the season plays out.

Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Phillips View Post
    Phew!!!
    Hey Colin I felt like a zombie when I finished that list. It might be worth it though...

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post
    Would keep your eye on the first two races at Clairefontaine on Tuesday - won by Curieux (Macaire - very decent time) and Alma Marceau (first foal of a G1 placed mare). Both were winners on debut, most impressive winner of the meeting was Campeador owned by Lord Daresbury who had finished runner-up at Nantes on debut.
    Nice one Martin, good to see you again. Just watched both races. Got to love how Alma Marceau quickened from the last (I see his mum beat Mourad and Blue Bresil as a 4YO) and that Curieux really stuck his head down.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to watch much French racing this season due to work reasons and after watching those, I'm actually regretting it now. Would you be able to give is a tl:dr on the French Juveniles thus far?

Quote Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
    I am quite surprised to see Nicky Henderson placed in 4th place on 23. He is someone who I follow for novice/juvenile hurdles races so I will be very much looking forward to what you unearth as the season plays out.

Cheers
    Cheers Toffee. 23 Juveniles is still a lot

Tomorrow's Newton Abbot card opens with the fourth Juvenile hurdle of the season and the first to be held in the south thus far. As with those that have proceeded it, the five-day entries were thin on the ground thus the form will very much be a law unto itself until the pool thickens. It features three with experience and a couple of maiden newcomers from the flat.

Mojawiz has the highest flat rating of these and is the only runner to have completed a jumps race - that effort being a second in the season's curtain raiser at Hexham. Though a little lit up early on. it wasn't long before he settled and he jumped proficiently for the most part. He travelled like the winner turning for home but he didn't find a great deal for pressure and was outstayed on the flat by a 41 rated flat plodder. Mojawiz started odds on that day and it was the third time in his six race career that he'd been beaten as favourite which alongside stamina doubts from the flat would be a cause for concern. It must be noted though that 'blustery' wouldn't have done conditions on that Northumberland afternoon any justice and Hexham is a testing enough course on the mildest of days. As such, the sharper Newton Abbot would be a more appropriate examination of his ability. Furthermore, he kept on in a true line and didn't necessarily look reluctant to pass the winner that day plus the form has been given credence of sorts as the fourth subsequently finished third at Market Rasen a fortnight ago. Ventura Castle went into his Uttoxeter jumps debut on the back of consecutive wide margin wins in ten furlong sellers at Lingfield and Ripon. He was entitled to win both these evens in such as fashion though as he had nineteen pounds in hand of his rivals at Lingfield and the Ripon race hasn't produced any subsequent winners. Furthermore, there was no pace on in either race so the son of Paco Boy's stamina was never tested. When it was tested at Uttoxeter, he was beaten before halfway and his jumping wasn't too impressive either. He would probably have finished third that day were he not carried out by a loose horse but it would have been a tired and very distant third. Auld Fyffee is another migrant from the Uttoxeter race and looked set to finish a tired and distant fourth before being carried out in the same incident. She also managed a win on the flat but it came in a poor Wolverhampton claimer last December and her two runs on the flat this year saw her beaten a combined forty-nine lengths. She was untidy with her jumping but she hinted that she does stay the trip, albeit very slowly.

The two newcomers are closely matched on official jumps ratings with only four pounds separating them. Doubly Clever heads the pair with his mark of 62 which has slipped this year from a harsh 70. He wasn't straightforward when beaten in an ordinary seven furlong Lingfield claimer on his penultimate start but looked more at peace with the world last time when a six length second over ten furlongs at Bath in a 0-65 classified race. It's not good form but it's a standard at least and it shows this trip should suit. There's some encouragement in his pedigree as Iffraaj can get Juveniles and his dam's side contains classy hurdlers Copeland and The French Furze. Londonia earned a mark of 60 after thrice finishing midfield in Kempton maidens last autumn at distances between six and eight furlongs for Paul Cole. He ran up to that mark on his return in May when carrying top weight to finish fourth in a messy ten furlong Bath handicap with two subsequent low level winners behind him. His latest outing over course and distance was deeply disappointing where he was beaten by fifty-four lengths. A few days later, he went to the Doncaster Spring HIT sale where he was picked up for £7,000 by Graeme McPherson who himself bought Fred Winter participant Harry Hunt five years ago for roughly the same price.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
    1. Mojawiz
    2. Doubly Clever
    3. Ventura Castle

Doubly Clever 4/1 Copeland 2nd Kingwell Hurdle (G2), Wincanton 2002 (5/3 The French Furze)
    Auld Fyffee 1/2 Aland Islands 1st Novices' Hurdle, Doncaster 2012 (1/2 Champagne James, Rory O'Moore)
    Mojawiz - Dubawi (6) 3/2 Deadly Sting 1st Novices' Chase, Worcester 2015
    Ventura Castle 2/1 Maraafeq 1st Handicap Hurdle (121), Newbury 2010
    Londonia .5 Rossetti 107 1st Handicap Hurdle, Les Landes 2015

Sires
    Mojawiz - Dubawi (6)
    Doubly Clever - Iffraaj (3)
    Auld Fyffee - Haatef
    Ventura Castle - Paco Boy
    Londonia - Paco Boy

Thanks
    Here's the review for the Newton Abbot race

Newton Abbot - 3rd July - 2m167y - Good to Soft

The fourth Juvenile hurdle of the season was a moderate one which was ran at a moderate gallop. It was the first event of the season where the word 'soft' appeared in the going description.

Doubly Clever was a maiden on the flat whose best form was no more than fair but his profile suggested he would be better over hurdles and he ran out a comfortable five length winner here. It took him a while to settle and his pulling cost him style marks over several hurdles but with the exception of a slight stumble after landing at the fifth, he still negotiated them effectively. He was reported to have schooled well and if he can learn to settle better then he could be a very tidy jumper. The overall characterization of this performance was one of immaturity and his tendency to wander on the flat re-emerged in between the last two flights but he won so comfortably in the end that it made no difference. He already looks capable of winning under a penalty whilst the standard isn't too high and if he matures then he could well be competitive in the Autumn. Mojawiz disappointed when odds on for his jumps debut at Hexham and despite the winner looking fairly useful for the time of year, Mojawiz can only be described as disappointing again as this marks the fourth occasion he's been beaten favourite in his last five runs. To his credit, he jumps as well as any Juvenile seen so far this season but his attitude is far from convincing as this is the second time in two starts over hurdles he simply hasn't put his head down after being asked a question. His stamina can also be scrutinised although whilst he was bestowed the task of setting the running, it wasn't the most searching gallop and he didn't seem exhausted once passed suggesting that it wasn't the trip that beat him. Mojawiz does have the talent to win at this level and it would be no surprise to see him placed again but he is developing a knack for finding excuses not to win. Ten lengths down the field, Auld Fyffee also jumped very nicely and, unsurprisingly given the pace, was in contention for much longer than at Uttoxeter. She was swiftly outpaced after the third last but galloped to the line looking seemingly a place candidate at best for the time being. Londonia was the other hurdling debutant in the field. Beaten a long way from home and jumping to his left throughout, he didn't seem to take to the experience and it would be surprising to see him return to obstacles. Ventura Castle was disappointing on his debut and didn't run any better here being the first beaten. He's another who would be better served by a return to the flat.

And here's the preview for tomorrow's Stratford contest.

The Juvenile hurdlers are back and the action returns to Stratford in a race which is, on paper, considerably deeper than anything hitherto seen this season. A nice looking little contest for what it is, the leading Juvenile yards of Alan King and John Quinn send out their first three year olds and top sire Cape Cross also has his first runner.

Only one horse with hurdles experience lines up in the shape of Ace Of Marmalade. Brian Ellison's gelding was hopeless on the flat and seemed flattered to finish fourth of fifth on his debut at Hexham where his jumping wasn't exactly up to scratch. However, he jumped much better next time at Market Rasen and finished a well earned third closing on previous winner Dominada near the finish. That run would entitle him a chance to finish placed in a similar contest but the standard of newcomers, comparatively, looks too strong for him to hold a serious chance of winning here.

Paddys Runner is Alan King's first juvenile of the season and leads the six newcomers from the flat on official ratings. After finishing nowhere on his sole two-year-old start and shaping with mere promise in two starts during may at Lingfield and Sandown, he earned his rating of 72 on his penultimate start. His strongest piece of form, he was just beaten in a fourteen furlong Nottingham handicap off top-weight where he had two subsequent winners and a twice placed horse in behind. More interestingly, he was beaten just half a length whilst giving eight pounds to The Twisler who since ran very commendably when a four length eighth in the Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot. What was a concern though is that he looked all over the winner before seemingly retreating into his safe and happy place. Last time out at Chepstow in a maiden when well backed before the off, he probably ran to a similar level and whilst he was beaten too comfortably by a well bred filly to say if he shirked that battle as well, he didn't exactly look like he was giving his all. Nevertheless, he has the best line of form, comes from a top stable and clearly stays well and is a leading contender here. Solstalla is a consistent filly who showed promise in two starts as a two-year-old and improved with each step up in trip before a pair of respectable runs in Nottingham handicaps over ten furlongs. The first came in April off a mark of 69 where they went a solid clip and she eventually finished fourth, just under two lengths behind the winner. The form of that contest has worked out well with nine of the eleven participants coming out to either win or finished placed in handicaps in their next two starts. After a break of sixty-four days, she returned to the track where she finished a bit further back in fifth but to her credit, she was well ahead of her remaining rivals and finished best of those held up off what was a rather sedate gallop. With two wins and a place from the four ahead of her to have been out since, this race is threatening to shape up similarly well. Solstalla's Newmarket based trainer, William Jarvis, has had only one jumps winner from thirty attempts over the past twenty-three seasons but that winner did come this season and on breeding, a Halling Dubawi cross looks the type to do well in this sphere. Leoncavallo will be the fourth Juvenile already this season for John Ferguson's Bloomfields operation, the form figures of the first three reading 2212. Keen on two starts last year, he had three runs on the all weather which were a steady education. Though he had to be bustled along in the opening stages of the three contests, there was an improvement on each occasion culminating with a three length win in a mile and a half handicap at Wolverhampton off 62 (was 5lb well in). He returned to the turf in a Beverley 0-75 handicap where he stayed on for fourth without quite getting the rub of the green and the form of that race is solid for the grade. It was a more disappointing effort last time out at Windsor where after being slow out of the stalls once again, he raced more prominently and had no real excuses for fading back into a seven length fourth. Nevertheless, he's another who's sure to stay, his stablemates have all jumped nicely and Cape Cross's are always interesting at this standard. After a winter break where his testicles were requisitioned, Loom Of Life's best effort in a Newcastle mile handicap when third off 64 despite running green. He then disappointed over a furlong further at Redcar and his next two runs over a mile and four at York and Haydock were not much better. His regression was compounded when last of four back over a mile at Nottingham after being pushed along early. St Paul's Square had a most inauspicious two-year-old career beating only three of his forty-two rivals home in maiden auction stakes races but a enacted something of a turnaround when runner up in a seven furlong Lingfield claimer at 66/1 in January. He has been consistent ever since finishing within three lengths of the winner in all but one of his nine subsequent starts, predominantly in sprint handicaps. A son of Amadeus Wolf, he probably found a mile at Bath too far and his official rating of 51 is apt. Racing Spirit's best and most pertinent performance to date came towards the end of May when finishing fourteen lengths eighth in a one mile six Redcar maiden handicap. There's every reason to believe he will stay the trip and being a representative of John Quinn, he's likely to jump well but the standard of his form to date is well behind that shown by several of his rivals.

Arbitrary 1-2-3
    1. Solstalla
    2. Paddys Runner
    3. Leoncavallo

Loom Of Life 4/2 Ring The Boss 2nd Kingmaker Novices' Chase (G2), Warwick 2008 (4/2 Theatre Girl, Conflictofinterest 5/3 Tilabay)
    Leoncavallo - Cape Cross (10) 6/5 Fait Le Jojo 1st Handicap Hurdle (132), Ascot 2002
    Solstalla 3/2 Alsadaa 1st bet365.com Hurdle (Listed), Sandown 2009
    St Paul's Square 4/2 I'm Confident 1st Galway Hurdle (Listed, 9-7) Galway 1989
    Paddys Runner .5 Icy Reply 1st Mares Hurdle, Navan 2014
    Racing Spirit 1/1 Vinando 4th Dovecote Novices' Hurdle (G2), Sandown 2006

Sires (Juveniles who appear in top 501) jumps' winners to runners ratio
    Leoncavallo - Cape Cross (10) 38%
    Solstalla - Halling (4) 41%
    Ace Of Marmalade - Duke Of Marmalade (1) 14%
    Paddys Runner - Sir Percy (0) 38%
    Racing Spirit - Sir Percy (0) 38%
    St Paul's Square - Amadeus Wolf (0) 17%
    Loom Of Life - Rip Van Winkle (first crop)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bachelors Hall For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th July 2015)