Thread: The 2015 Scottish Grand National

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

The 2015 Scottish Grand National

From the Irish Field

TOP owner J.P. McManus has swooped to buy the Tony Martin-trained Gallant Oscar, favourite in most lists at around 9/1 for Saturday's Scottish National.

But the owner's retained rider A.P. McCoy will not be aboard the nine-year-old gelding at Ayr as the horse is set to carry 10st 1lb, below McCoy's minimum. McManus has no other runner in the race and McCoy has already accepted the mount on the Paul Nicholls-trained Benvolio, a general 16/1 shot. The top weight Sam Winner is a likely runner so the prospect of the weights rising is slim.
    Frank Berry, racing manager for McManus, told The Irish Field on Wednesday evening: "Paul Carberry will ride Gallant Oscar but the horse won't run at all if the ground dries out too much. It's fine at the moment but it is drying."
    Gallant Oscar was ante-post favourite for the Irish Grand National a fortnight ago but connections opted to bypass that race in the hope of securing a spot in last Saturday's Aintree Grand National. The horse failed to make the final 40 declarations at Aintree but now has a third chance of National glory. His form is strong - he finished fourth in the Thyestes Chase won by Djakadam and took third in the Cheltenham Festival handicap chase won by The Druids Nephew.
    There hasn't been an Irish-trained winner of the Scottish National for 146 years. The last one to win was the Larry Hyland-trained and ridden Huntsman in 1869.

Thanks
    AP's ride Benvolio withdrawn

Thanks
    Reason for withdrawal is he's been reading the other thread and realised he's not carrying enough weight!

Thanks
    This is an absolute minefield of a race where you could make a case for more than half the field.

I've backed three each way. Broadway Buffalo (12/1) and Sego Success (26/1). Both ran good races in the four miler at the Festival, and that race often produces win and place horses for this. The other I've backed is Harry The Viking (25/1). He was beaten two lengths by Last Samuri at Kelso last time, and Last Samuri was a horse I was convinced would run well in the 4 miler before being withdrawn. That being the case I have to back the formline.

I won't back Sam Winner and Houblon des Obeaux despite the big debate about higher weighted horses. I was interested earlier in the week but simmo's stats have put me off with the Ayr National having the worst record of all the marathon chases for weight carrying performances.
    Last edited by Maruco; 17th April 2015 at 3:59 PM.

Thanks
    The one I quite liked just from a quick glance was Wiesentraum. Mainly campaigned on decent ground, seems to have done nothing but improve across this season. Ended up winning a poor-ish race at Fakenham and went up 8lbs before being brought back over an inadequate 2m4f LTO. Mostly ran over 3m so you'd think he'd have no issues with the trip, and with the better ground and decent jockey up he might well be e/w value at 40 on exchanges.

Thanks
    Al co as per last year. the horse is in perfect shape with a superb pilot. Price is OK to

Thanks
    Backed Broadway Buffalo at Aintree NRNB so can't abandon him now!

Thanks
    I've gone for Samstown, great record at the track & won the novice stayers here last year. Well handicapped, good jockey, trip no problem, ground ok, 25's will do nicely.

Thanks
    I Shot The Sheriff out of Scottish Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    I fancy Trustan Times - possibly worked down to a good mark since his 3rd last year and Amigo.

Thanks
    Gallant Oscar OUT

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    From the Irish Field

TOP owner J.P. McManus has swooped to buy the Tony Martin-trained Gallant Oscar, favourite in most lists at around 9/1 for Saturday's Scottish National.

But the owner's retained rider A.P. McCoy will not be aboard the nine-year-old gelding at Ayr as the horse is set to carry 10st 1lb, below McCoy's minimum. McManus has no other runner in the race and McCoy has already accepted the mount on the Paul Nicholls-trained Benvolio, a general 16/1 shot. The top weight Sam Winner is a likely runner so the prospect of the weights rising is slim.
    Frank Berry, racing manager for McManus, told The Irish Field on Wednesday evening: "Paul Carberry will ride Gallant Oscar but the horse won't run at all if the ground dries out too much. It's fine at the moment but it is drying."
    Gallant Oscar was ante-post favourite for the Irish Grand National a fortnight ago but connections opted to bypass that race in the hope of securing a spot in last Saturday's Aintree Grand National. The horse failed to make the final 40 declarations at Aintree but now has a third chance of National glory. His form is strong - he finished fourth in the Thyestes Chase won by Djakadam and took third in the Cheltenham Festival handicap chase won by The Druids Nephew.
    There hasn't been an Irish-trained winner of the Scottish National for 146 years. The last one to win was the Larry Hyland-trained and ridden Huntsman in 1869.
    Gallant Oscar a non runner

Thanks
    Nobody told Wayward Prince they never come back ! Jumped and travelled wonderfully and had he perhaps not been sent on too soon he would have won even more easily .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    I Shot The Sheriff out of Scottish Champion Hurdle
    Anyone who backed the winner of the National should be shot by the sheriff LOL
    Formely Fist of Fury