Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: courses you would love to visit

Thanks

courses you would love to visit

mine.......I would love one day at the Punchestown festival

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Still on a mission to go to all the courses in Britain and Ireland, eight left on the mainland and about a dozen in Ireland, the one glaring omission as far as I'm concerned is Leopardstown

Thanks
    I have been to a fair few in the UK, Ireland and Worldwide (there's a thread on here somewhere covering that...) but would love to visit Auteuil for one of their big jumps meeting
    Last edited by Perpetual; 31st March 2015 at 2:11 PM.

Thanks
    Cartmel & Santa Anita. I'm actually planning on going to the latter in a couple of years for the BC.

I've been lucky enough to visit some great courses and will be taking in Happy Valley (definitely) and Melbourne (possibly - for the Cup) in October/November so looking forward to those but Cartmel is one I've long wanted to go to.

Punchestown is great, I've been a number of times but my favourite part is the Naas craic before/after.

but all that said, If I could only go racing once more in my life, it would be the Tuesday @ Cheltenham next year.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cartmel's a great day out Wilson...bit of a bugger to get to but worth it.

I no longer live in the UK so my desires are somewhat different to those that do

I never left the UK to specifically go racing though I did go to Garrison Savannah Race Course Barbados when I was there on one of those 499 quid holidays way back then. It was a dreadful excuse for a racecourse...Did see Scobie Breasley poor guy could hardly walk...but my main memory is the place was a dump and some Bajan's swingning from the rafters when their horse won.

Went racing here once in Thailand........Don't bother they don't cater for foreigners race cards are in Thai only so u have no clue what's going on......Bit like the All Weather

Would love to go to the Breeders, Puchestown, Lonchamp and Meydan for the WC but highly unlikely I ever will.............a return to the UK to go to Perth Hexam Kelso and Cheltenham is what I'd really like to do before going to the bad fire.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having done most of the big ones nothing compares to Cheltenham Festival.
    Kentucky Derby Day highest on my bucket list.
    Cartmel high on my list also as a must do.
    Auteuil number 3.

Thanks
    Been to a fair few but St Moritz for the ice racing would be close to the top of the list now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Can recommend Auteuil to anyone - lovely big track, plenty of space to move around and good viewing too.

The weekend in November clashes with the Breeders Cup most years but has some great racing on and can normally be combined with a trip to the other true Parisian NH track at Enghien as they stage a meeting the day before (sometimes two days before) on the Thursday/Friday.

Grand Steeplechase Day is a good one too - only been the once but loved it and some highly competitive racing. Pretty easy to get to too from most UK cities and Dublin (unsure on Cork).

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    I dream of being at historic Saratoga Springs fo rtheir August meeting -- Royal Ascot on steroids.

And, of course, Santa Anita. From what pics I have seen, it must be the one racecourse with the most beautiful backdrop in the world-- and with the little matter of the B.C. to savour.
    Bitcoin: 1GyyygZmobehztUmHLdLWVKLqnfyJC5wzi

Litecoin: LL12qc8Fid3kt4QzkvFQ6SadSuxxZEi5Nh

Thanks
    Chelmsford.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Chelmsford.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Chelmsford.

My in-laws live round the corner so expect to be dragged there at some point, though definitely won't love it. May enjoy it more if they added some hurdles...

Thanks
    Auteuil is top of my list along with Deauville

I'd love a trip to Japan and Hong Kong

Over here I fancy Windsor on a lovely sunny evening. Should have done it when I got free travel on the trains
    Last edited by Euronymous; 1st April 2015 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Stamp View Post
    The weekend in November clashes with the Breeders Cup most years......
    Martin, there is no such thing as a 'clash' between the 48hrs at Auteuil, and the ferret-scuttling offered as an alternative in the US.

Agree with everything you say about the track, and also important to note that there is a Metro station at the entrance, and that you're likely to pay precisely nothing to get in (dont forget to collect your free racecard from the vendor either). At the Cheltenham Festival it will cost you something in the region of £2500 to book a table for four in the panoramic restaurant. It costs about €500 for the same sort of deal in the Panoramic Restaurant at Auteuil at the 48hrs or the Grande Steeplechase meetings - and it's quality French cuisine too. The list of reasons to visit Auteuil is pretty-much endless, really.

Me and the missus are in Paris the weekend of the Grande Course de Haies. Every chance we will take in the meeting - and a visit will be a stone-cold-cert if Mullins consents to run Hurricane Fly.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 2nd April 2015 at 7:40 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

icebreaker (2nd April 2015)

Thanks
    Right then, that seals it. Auteuil is now added to the bucket list.
    You can be a very persuasive fella, Mr Grass, the marketing and PR Industry would benefit greatly if you were a player within it !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to icebreaker For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (3rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've been racing a lot in the USA - most often at Del Mar, Santa Anita and the now defunct Bay Meadows. Del Mar is by far the best of them if you get the chance, probably because if you drive five minutes after the last you can have a dip in the Pacific at Del Mar or La Jolla. A couple of BCs at Santa Anita - the first in a reserved marquee, full on package, prawns included. (High Chapperal dead heat year.) Memorable. Returned 10 years later on a cheapo civilian ticket, sat at the turn into the straight. Felt like the whole day was a cross between Hackney BAGS meeting and the Bingo at the Odeon attended by tatooed people in leggings. (I know that sounds elitist, it probably is.)

Dream: Deauville in August.

Recommend: Killarney in May.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Oh no, say it ain't so, AC. Say it ain't so! (Santa Anita).
    An Capall -- The Destroyer of Dreams.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Auteuil is top of my list along with Deauville

I'd love a trip to Japan and Hong Kong

Over here I fancy Windsor on a lovely sunny evening. Should have done it when I got free travel on the trains
    windsor Monday evenings are pretty unique. its a good setting and the paddock is one of the best in racing

happy valley is pretty spectacular . Mate also had a flat on the 30th floor overlooking course..

friends who have been to auteil says there is more atmosphere on the moon. Been to about half the uk courses and none stand out now as "must sees" Cartmel was on list but a good mate who's been was pretty negative.

punchestown appeals greatly and will do one day . Santa Anita is a definite ambition. Churchill downs has to be iconic and love the Deep South and nawleans, so the fairgrounds too

Thanks
    Have to admit to being pretty disappointed with my one and only visit to Newmarket; both the track and the place itself, so spending a week at Middleham this June. Planning to go to the Melbourne Cup one day; was going next year but have put it on hold for a while as it will invlove being away for several weeks and I'm not very good at planning things like that. Used to love Naas at Punchestown time; the place to be used to be McDonalds...everyone who was anyone seemed to be popping in there for a bite to eat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    friends who have been to auteil says there is more atmosphere on the moon.
    The atmosphere at Musselburgh on Ladies Day is great......but then again, the racing is utter shi*t.

To be fair, it isn't the Cheltenham Festival, and it is relatively subdued at Auteuil - even on their biggest race-days....but then again, there's a certain enjoyment to be had in being able to get about with absolute ease, not to have to queue for a bar or a bathroom, to get a free seat in the grandstand, and to just focus on the horses.

It's a different experience to racing in the UK or Ireland - no doubt - but I don't see that as a bad thing. Vive la difference.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 3rd April 2015 at 9:21 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018