Thread: Ken Pitterson

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts

Ken Pitterson

How good a judge is he?

I tend to, at best, skim/scan his articles in the Weekender but noticed a couple of his comments in this week's edition.

In particular, his remarks about a couple of the runners in the big race last week caught my attention:

"Oscar Whisky ran well considering he didn't look 100 per cent fit."

"Indian Castle looked well in himself, but the trainer left a little bit to work with and ran well under the circumstances."

Oscar Whisky was backed down from 11/1 in the morning to almost half that. How do his supporters feel about that comment and would it explain the sudden loss of about five lengths after the third last?

Indian Castle, I thought, ran well round the inside. He was also well backed and tipped ahead of the race.

With such a big pot on offer, why would trainers, especially the likes of Henderson, not have their charges 100% ready?

Or is Pitterson talking sh1te?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He's a very experienced paddock watcher, DO, but after all it is only his opinion.

Spoken to him a number of times on course (some time ago now) and has always struck me as a genuine fella.

He wouldn't be far out in his observations.
    Last edited by Colin Phillips; 22nd November 2014 at 1:57 PM.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    He has an opinion like everyone else. Some of which you may agree with and some not. But that is the same for everyone really.
    Ultimately, do I rush to read his opinions, No.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Banned
    Thanks
    there is already a thread on KP

the bloke is top notch..thats top notch over a period of time..he's not top notch if you wait for him to be wrong and highlight sort of thing

i've listened to him for a year..and the guys is a real judge..spoke to him at Donny..top man in person as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    ..he's not top notch if you wait for him to be wrong and highlight sort of thing
    That wasn't how I meant it and I'm not sure why you would interpret it as such, EC1.

I tend not to read his section in the Weekender but, as I said, I was taken aback that he would opine that Henderson would send the likes of Oscar Whisky to one of the biggest races of the season less than fully fit. If he's right then it questions either Henderson's skills or intentions.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Oscar Whisky is a stuffy sort who improves for a race, so KP probably was not far out in his assessment.
    ... unicorns are busiest at three o'clock in the morning.

[COLOR=blue][I]"It is one of life's tragedies that men become what they oppose."[/I] Dr A Guirdham

[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222][I]"My glass always tends to be not just half-empty, but cracked with my ale seeping off the table and into my shoes..."[/I] Lydia Hislop[/COLOR]

Banned
    Thanks
    Always read his pieces in the weekender and they offer an excellent alternative insight. I'm a believer that paddock watching can tell you a lot and he summarises perfectly. Gives his reasons and opinions in a concise clear way and doesn't sit on the fence. A lot of time for him.
    Last edited by clivex; 22nd November 2014 at 8:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Oscar Whisky is a stuffy sort who improves for a race, so KP probably was not far out in his assessment.
    Thanks, red. I rate the race quite highly so his good performance bodes well for whatever his true target is.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 22nd November 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, given it was his first handicap and his first chase in a field of that size he ran very well.

Thanks
    I didn't see Oscar Whisky in the flesh but Most of Nicky's have needed the run. The flip side, on the same day in the novice chase, King's Palace wasn't carrying an ounce of condition whereas Hobbs had left plenty to work on with Sausalito Sunrise.

This is where either seeing yourself or getting the view of an experienced paddock watcher is so valuable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    This is where either seeing yourself or getting the view of an experienced paddock watcher is so valuable.
    Yes, and I think C4 could do more in this respect. Simon Holt is good at saying which ones went to post well or not so well but paddock comments are rather glossed over.

On the other hand, my bets are usually on between 10am and 10.30am so I have to take on trust that the horse turns up fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In olden times Francome and McGrath had the paddock sussed.
    The three positive/negative guides, paddock, going down and ring were helpful to me as a viewer and a good concept for the armchair viewer.
    Why oh why is it not continued ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Because 'they' know we would rather have 'talking heads'.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......