Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: King George VI Chase 2014

Thanks

King George VI Chase 2014

LAST year's Arkle winner Simonsig is on course to make his eagerly awaited return in the William Hill King George VI Chase after featuring among 37 entries on Wednesday.

Along with Sprinter Sacre, Simonsig's absence on course last year was a savage blow to trainer Nicky Henderson's hopes of retaining the trainers' championship, which was surrendered to Paul Nicholls.

However, Simonsig is 5-1 favourite with the sponsors to make up for lost time and is on track to start off at Kempton next month having been off the track since last March.

Simonsig heads the market from last year's King George VI Chase winner Silviniaco Conti, who could clash with fellow King George entrants Cue Card and Dynaste in the Betfair Chase at Haydock later this month.

The King George has been split between trainers Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson since Kicking King became the last Irish-trained winner of the race in 2005 and Champagne Fever and Road To Riches, 10-1 shots with William Hill, head the Irish assault on the race this year.

The high-quality entry for the Christmas highlight also includes the likes of Bobs Worth, Holywell, Wishfull Thinking, Captain Chris,Taquin Du Seuil and Oscar Whisky.

King George VI Chase betting
    William Hill: 5-1 Simonsig, 8 Cue Card, Dynaste, Silviniaco Conti, 10 Champagne Fever, Road To Riches, 12 Holywell, Menorah, 14 Smad Place, Taquin Du Seuil, Wishfull Thinking, 16 Al Ferof, Bobs Worth, Boston Bob, 20 Captain Chris, Don Cossack, Double Ross, Eduard, Harry Topper, Oscar Whisky, Wonderful Charm, 25-1 bar
    fan of the horse but fairly mental simonsig is fav for this given time off the course plus question marks over trip. boring but s conti solid at 8s.

they defo bringing champ fever over for it? wonder what mullins/ruby will do given the racing on at leopardstown that day.

Thanks
    Conti does look appealing at the price. You can get 10s at PP.
    Though I still harbour hopes that Cue Card can go one better.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    I'm going if Champagne Fever comes over.

Banned
    Thanks
    Sc was a very good horse for me when he was underrated as he was progressing but I was very disappointed with that last run. I suspect it was a fair bit flatter than they expected. Also I think he needs soft and KGv at the best draining jumps course is less frequently that ground than many would expect. Having said that, if there's one trainer who can bring a horse back from an ordinary spell..... No one better.

no interest in simonsig after so long away. I'm a little unconvinced about cf.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    clive, Prufrock wrote an illuminating piece in his Betfair blog, suggesting that the Charlie Hall could have been run over as much as 1.5f shorter than its advertised distance. If that's true, then it may account (in part at least) for Conti's seemingly moderate run.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    If it's true about Wetherby and the Charlie Hall then the race should be taken away from them, same for Haydock and last year's Betfair chase. The Clerk of both courses should be fired sharpish.
    Then future races would be run over the correct distances, not rocket science is it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Agree

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    If it's true about Wetherby and the Charlie Hall then the race should be taken away from them, same for Haydock and last year's Betfair chase. The Clerk of both courses should be fired sharpish.
    Then future races would be run over the correct distances, not rocket science is it.
    been banging on about this for a long time on here..no one seems to mind races being run over wrong trips though...wrong ground conditions reported. etc

last time i suggested moving Betfair Chase it were pooh poohed because its called the lancashire chase..the name more important than running over wrong trip apparently

i doubt if people actually believe they are being run over wrong distances..or care really...would think no one would expect a COC to be so completely useless as to allow it to happen.
    Last edited by EC1; 6th November 2014 at 8:52 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    Sc was a very good horse for me when he was underrated as he was progressing but I was very disappointed with that last run. I suspect it was a fair bit flatter than they expected. Also I think he needs soft and KGv at the best draining jumps course is less frequently that ground than many would expect. Having said that, if there's one trainer who can bring a horse back from an ordinary spell..... No one better.

no interest in simonsig after so long away. I'm a little unconvinced about cf.
    Bet all PFNs horses 2nd time out. Almost all have required the run.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Bet all PFNs horses 2nd time out. Almost all have required the run.
    Scientific approach, eh Diggs?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Scientific approach, eh Diggs?
    Quite valid though Grass. Surely Vibrato Valtat's Warwick run wasn't purely a result of the switch to fences.

And by that token, much as I like the horse and think the track will suit, Irving must be opposable at the likely odds tomorrow.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 7th November 2014 at 2:05 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The suggestion that we should back PFN's blind on their second run as no validity at all, imo.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    The suggestion that we should back PFN's blind on their second run as no validity at all, imo.
    I disagree. And i think the stats over the next month will show that. A bit like they days when NTD used to win everything in October. I think if you bet all his 2nd time out runners you be in a very nice positive situation.

And i wouldnt say Blind obv.....
    Last edited by Digger; 7th November 2014 at 2:12 PM.

Thanks
    Agreed.

I wouldn't necesarily back them full stop but when compiling the tissue I'd price it up completely ignoring it's previous run - unless it won, in which case I'd give it even more merit. And using that method would SC be 10/1 for the King George in anybody's book ?

Banned
    Thanks
    wouldn't judge SC too harsh..they ran over the equivalent of 5f for a champion miler,,would the miler win?..i don't think so

Banned
    Thanks
    That means he ran 9f short? Come off it ec. Bloody hell.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    That means he ran 9f short? Come off it ec. Bloody hell.
    no it don't..it means a stayer ran over an inadequate trip..what makes me laugh.. you challenge my assertion..but don't mind races being run over wrong trips,,wrong distances ffs..and you as a punter don't mind..really?...you don't mind a COC who doesn't even know the distances at his own track..wants sacking very quickly...anyone that allows this practice is a complete and utter incompetent of the highest order..but all that punters say is.....stick it up as far as you want.

unbelievable really..punters really take it up the arris and don't mind being shafted

i obviously live in another world..where 3 miles is 3 miles..its a funny one really..i wish it were 2m6f.

but just make sure speed figures are to nearest 100th of a second or they are tool of the anal

a bit laughable when normal punter don't even know what going or distance is being run over
    Last edited by EC1; 7th November 2014 at 3:24 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    And i wouldnt say Blind obv.....
    "Back all PFN horses 2nd time out.......".

Sounds like a blind-back recommendation to me. Let me know how your theory goes.......and I'll be expecting you to lump on all of Nicholls 2TO runners when we're in Chelts next week!

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    I agree ec but I'm not at all sure that even if it's the pretty criminal 1f short, then it really was a significant factor in what wasnt a very good run at all. Also I'm not buying into Nichols horses "needing a run". They might come on a bit but he's one trainer who has them pretty fit most of the time isn't he?

Thanks
    With the good ground extending into November and this new Gallop he was putting in, he's stated publicly that he is a good few weeks behind where he would like to be, or where he would usually be at this stage of the season.