Thread: Changine one's mind, strength or weakness?

marbler

Changine one's mind, strength or weakness?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_6070526.html

She makes an interesting point about the ability of a person to change their mind on a really important subject, even as a politician in Westminster.

I think its a human quality to change your mind at times, and totally unrealistic to expect ourselves and politicians not to do so.

But I understand in these times the public often want things black-and-white and clear-cut so we can scrutinise.
    Politicians aren't encouraged to say 'I think that policy judgement was wrong at the time' etc.

Morgan said: ""But if you are not going to recognise that people actually change their minds then what is the point of this place and this house of democracy and debate?"
    Last edited by marbler; 30th October 2014 at 3:13 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Its a sign of strength of character when it is based on facts or simply maturity. There's many a fine politician who's own views changed with experience. Famous quote by Keynes on this subject

It is not a strength of character when it is clearly someone going along with whatever is the flow at any particular time. For some reason Boris Johnson springs to mind

Thanks
    Also people are voted in on their policies/points of view. If they then change their mind surely they're not representing the people who voted for them?

marbler
    In the article it is clear her constituents wanted her to vote against it at the time the bill was being put forward. I would doubt this was an issue she was necessarily expressing any views to her constituents about when running for MP, (I could be wrong on that), but according to her, at the point when the issue became bigger she realised her constituents were mainly opposed to the idea of gay marriage.
    She says she has changed her mind.

I personally don't see that as strange or abnormal though clearly it would have been better if she'd recognised her final considered view at the time. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference as the bill went through anyway. IMO politicians are voted by the people to represent the people but when they are elected they need to exercise their own judgement. Maybe if she had done that a bit more at the time and not got carried away listening to her constituents this might not have happened?

Trying to exercise judgement as a politician surely means you can also exercise the right to change your mind? As for Boris Johnson, I've long suspected his views didn't add up but Londoners got what they voted for.
    Last edited by marbler; 30th October 2014 at 4:13 PM.

Thanks
    Depends on the reasons and circumstances, of course. In this particular case it seems from what I`ve read that it is, purely and simply, a "career" decision by an ambitious politician. Nothing new there!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marble View Post
    In the article it is clear her constituents wanted her to vote against it at the time the bill was being put forward. I would doubt this was an issue she was necessarily expressing any views to her constituents about when running for MP, (I could be wrong on that), but according to her, at the point when the issue became bigger she realised her constituents were mainly opposed to the idea of gay marriage.
    She says she has changed her mind.

I personally don't see that as strange or abnormal though clearly it would have been better if she'd recognised her final considered view at the time. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference as the bill went through anyway. IMO politicians are voted by the people to represent the people but when they are elected they need to exercise their own judgement. Maybe if she had done that a bit more at the time and not got carried away listening to her constituents this might not have happened?

Trying to exercise judgement as a politician surely means you can also exercise the right to change your mind? As for Boris Johnson, I've long suspected his views didn't add up but Londoners got what they voted for.
    at one stage before the mayoral election there was a poll that showed that a pretty starling 4 out of ten labour voters would definitely not vote for livingstone. The irony is that ken is far more understanding of London than boris but gratifyingly his sectarian bigoted views and campaign was rejected. But given the above no one can say that there as great enthusiasm for boris and I still do not believe there is. Given the above, it was damning that he didnt win by a lot more
    Last edited by clivex; 30th October 2014 at 8:05 PM.