Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boston Bob would be tailed-off at half-way in a Ryanair Chase, imo.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    He wasn't last season. I thought he ran a really good race considering it was his first fencing of the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Not a horse that I can get a grasp on at all. Bit like a minnow in the cup, he has a good performance in him, but fuc*ed if I know where and when
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    He's ran better than I expected in the last two Festivals. Ruby got off him to ride Unioniste in the RSA, vibes were wrong, but he ran a stormer until the last.

Thanks
    My phone tells me that rain is expected at Cheltenham on Thursday and Friday of next week. Were the going to turn 'soft' - and it wouldn't take much to do that - at least the form of this season so far might be relied upon; however, who is favoured specifically in the GC? Many Clouds. Silivia Conti and Bobs Worth, Djakadam, Coneygree(?) for sure, but do we automatically discount the others? I still like the fact that Road to Riches won a Lexus on soft and at possibly longer distance than advertised.

Banned
    Thanks
    why do you think the lexus was over further than 3m Len?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Boston Bob would be tailed-off at half-way in a Ryanair Chase, imo.
    After the Lexus I was (and still am) of the opinion they should look to campaigning him for the National.
    Boat!

Thanks
    EC1 - Because didn't your good self do the sectionals, and discovered the overall finishing time was too slow to be true? And then didn't someone else do a google earth measurement and this confirmed it?
    Last edited by Len Madeiros; 4th March 2015 at 5:05 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    no that was either Haydock or wetherby

i've got sectionals for the lexus but never had reason to question the distance there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    no that was either Haydock or wetherby

i've got sectionals for the lexus but never had reason to question the distance there
    Apologies, mate: I read it on another forum. And the distance was correct but the standard times were wrong. Apparently!

Anyway, that Road to Riches? He's winning the Gold Cup.

Banned
    Thanks
    i've lost track of races and distances Len..i'll put it down to age

aye RTR is an upward type...i think this year we will see the new guard take the old guard..your SC's and Bobsworths will get mastered by yours or many clouds i think

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    My phone tells me that rain is expected at Cheltenham on Thursday and Friday of next week. Were the going to turn 'soft' - and it wouldn't take much to do that - at least the form of this season so far might be relied upon; however, who is favoured specifically in the GC? Many Clouds. Silivia Conti and Bobs Worth, Djakadam, Coneygree(?) for sure, but do we automatically discount the others? I still like the fact that Road to Riches won a Lexus on soft and at possibly longer distance than advertised.
    According to Metcheck it is to be dry now until Tuesday when there will be spits and spots of rain on each of the four days.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    Apologies, mate: I read it on another forum. And the distance was correct but the standard times were wrong. Apparently!

Anyway, that Road to Riches? He's winning the Gold Cup.
    If I remember right I backed Road to Riches in the Lexus and myself and someone else suggested he could be a Gold Cup horse but my concern on reflection is how much is the Lexus form worth.

Sam Winner finishing 3rd makes me wonder as does Carlingford Lough finishing back in 5th. Others like LW and BW never ran a message. I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say Carlingford Lough boosted the form because he put up a much better performance than he did in the Lexus when he never at anytime threatened to win.

So all we have to go on really is that On His Own finished 2nd there and in the previous Gold Cup. His defeat of Rocky Creek was a good run but Rocky Creek the and now look like 2 different animals.

Be brave man to say he can't win but on bare form which while consistent isn't anything spectacular he really shouldn't be winning unless he's improved an awful lot

Winning a Lexus is one thing but winning a Cheltenham Gold cup with everything fit as fleas is a totally different ball game.........another huge minus is there's no guarantee he'll handle the course
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    He wasn't last season. I thought he ran a really good race considering it was his first fencing of the season.
    Commentary from last year is "In rear, pushed along 3 out, stayed on, not reach leaders", Euro. Same again is about as much as he could hope for i.e. taken off his feet and running on through beaten horses.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    In a Ryanair yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    NH currently being interviwed on RacingUK, Bobs Worth working on Sunday, seemed genuinely shocked ( and disappointed) when told Cheltenham was being watered today

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems the best backed horse in the race this week has been Djakadam.

Personally I am dead against him running and think this is bordering on greed in the Mullins camp.

A comparative novice at the tender age of 6 years who completed only 4 chases in his life taking on the best seasoned chasers from Ireland and England.

The brilliant Gloria Victis lost his life in this race and even if he had stood up may not have won and he'd be a stone better than this horse.

If the horse had actually won something worth talking about and was a brilliant outstanding talented horse I could maybe better understand it but
    those are not words I would use to describe him.

If he runs and wins then good on them but if he were mine he'd be wrapped up in cotton wool given more time to mature then head for next years King George or Hennessy.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    On the RP site they have an interview with Mullins and he said that he thought Djakadam's Thyestes win was the best chasing performance in Ireland this year. He clearly likes this horse a lot. Whether he's right or not is a different question.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I suppose that will depend on how he interprets a 'chasing performance'. It certainly wouldn't be the performance that earned the highest rating but he's also on record as saying the horse still wasn't fit and that Ruby said he'd never travelled better in a Thyestes yet he still won one of the most competitive handicap chases in the calendar seemingly without coming out of third gear.

He's maybe factoring how much better than the bare form he believes the horse to be.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 6th March 2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    If Djakadam was trained by anyone else in Ireland he'd be at least twice the price he is now. Quite how many handicappers are we going to make a case for this year? I'll be perfectly happy to see money for Djakadam as the week goes on. It just means better prices for those that can win.