Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: Champion Hurdle 2015

Thanks
    ffs
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Would rather Geraghty aboard Jezki if i was a backer
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given Jezki wants to be given an aggressive ride, I wouldn't myself be viewing McCoy as a negative.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Anyone bar Robbie Power really Grass
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Unusual to see GiGi with a good hurdler. Gave the runner up weight today

Thanks
    I fear he'd get badly outpaced in a Champion but such a lot to like about him

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I fear he'd get badly outpaced in a Champion but such a lot to like about him
    Yep, last years form is very up in the air for now.

Looks a decent animal though. Doubt he is CH class

Thanks
    Jezki bolted up with AP in the race at Punchestown - it was the ground rather than the pilot to blame for his winter defeats .

Thanks
    Just watching the replay of The New One's seasonal debut on Sunday.
    He fairly took the timer out of the top of the final hurdle! Showing again he does not like to be in front before the last.
    Just thinking ahead, I can see TNO having a lot of similarly uncompetitive races in his prep this season.
    With MTOY out , all of his main CH contenders are the other side of the water. Will this affect his chances?
    The closest British challenger in the current market is Irving at 33/1 ...

Thanks
    Maybe willie sends one over on Boxing Day

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    He fairly took the timer out of the top of the final hurdle! Showing again he does not like to be in front before the last.
    Just thinking ahead, I can see TNO having a lot of similarly uncompetitive races in his prep this season.
    With MTOY out , all of his main CH contenders are the other side of the water. Will this affect his chances?
    imo TNO will not win a Champion Hurdle, the reason he looked like he was unlucky this year was that his own race turned into a test of stamina...his effort looked good but if he had kept up with the field would have been outpaced..the sectionals from Kempton last year told you he doesn't have the pace for a CH.

a definite non contender for me personally

Banned
    Thanks
    So on that basis nor did mtoy . He ran in the Xmas hurdle too and was stretched

Its a bit strange to say that "looked like" an unlucky run after what happened. It's inconceivable that he would not have been closer

I think he's the main contender on a number of fronts. There is abolsutely nothing wrong with having a bit of extra stamina for the ch. plenty have haven't they?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    its my one issue with him the occasional hurdle . I was there too as it happens, not that it made any difference .. But jockey is adamant it was down to a fault in his ride. To my eyes, once he was in front he travelled perfectly

maybe less competitive races will be nit a bad thing. He ran a fair bit last year and whilst he's about as genuine as any horse around would prefer an easier campaign myself. Should be remembered that before Xmas hurdle he had run just 12 days before

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Why start him off in a tuppence-ha'penny race around Kempton? Probably to convince themselves he has the speed to stick at 2 miles.
    He doesn't, didn't, and won't have.

Banned
    Thanks
    What a strange and bizaare suggestion. Yes I suppose the Xmas hurdle was exactly the same then objective then? Perhaps that race never actually happened?

More a case of those trying to convince themselves that he can't perform against the best at two miles, when he clearly has ffFFs
    Last edited by clivex; 22nd October 2014 at 3:26 AM.

Thanks
    TNO was outpaced turning for the hill last year, that is unquestionable.

What is questionable is whether it was as a result of the earlier incident and having to make up the ground. I'm not convinced it was as due to the way the race panned out he didn't need to use up too much effort.

All that said, take that away this year and Sam will be able to have him handier and kick on earlier, making it more about stamina - ala Rock On Ruby - and if that is the case then he is a major player.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Problem with that approach, Lee, is that there's no guarantee he could 'kick-on' hard enough to get Jezki off the bridle over 2m. In my view, TNO would simply tow faster horses into the race, and always be vulnerable to something that can quicken off a strong pace over the minimum trip.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Problem with that approach, Lee, is that there's no guarantee he could 'kick-on' hard enough to get Jezki off the bridle over 2m. In my view, TNO would simply tow faster horses into the race, and always be vulnerable to something that can quicken off a strong pace over the minimum trip.
    Agree with every word of that

TNO would smash up the Aintree hurdle

Banned
    Thanks
    I would have thought that the idea of kicking on was to take the speed out of them? And it would do so a/la roR

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    So on that basis nor did mtoy . He ran in the Xmas hurdle too and was stretched

Its a bit strange to say that "looked like" an unlucky run after what happened. It's inconceivable that he would not have been closer

I think he's the main contender on a number of fronts. There is abolsutely nothing wrong with having a bit of extra stamina for the ch. plenty have haven't they?
    Did MTOY win the CH though?...and at Kempton he was ridden further back than TNO..to use the speed he has against the stamina of TNO...neither horse there showed anything special with their closing times to suggest they are top notchers

I think neither he orTNO are not ideal candidates for a CH..i actually think MTOY would have been beaten further in the CH had Our Conor completed...because OC never had an issue beating Jezki on previous form.

The Christmas hurdle is a good race for checking a CH contender and TNO failed to run the last section in a time that suggests 2 miles is his forte.

Like i said..in the CH..TNO was in a 2 mile race..until he got hampered..his race then turned into more of a stamina test that suited him..if he had not been hampered he would have been beaten further imo as he would have been sat with and the speedier types would have got away from him

I hope he wins for you and those who back him..to me he will be outpaced and then they will go back to 2.5 miles where he belongs. There is a fine line with having that bit of extra stamina for the CH and having too much..he's got too much.

Look at his form..all the best is over 2m4+. The stayers hurdle would be more in line with his profile..the CH is just a pipedream.