Page 100 of 198 FirstFirst ... 50909596979899100101102103104105110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3950

Thread: Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Can' see them ever running the CGC as last race on the card, There's normally fresh turf railed off for it, and the furore over the over the ground for the last race, this year, would be magnified tenfold.
    This isn't the Breeders Cup for heaven's sake . The CGC would never be the last race for the reasons reet identifies. After the 2008 gales blew away the Wednesday card for some reason Edward Gillespie decided that it was better for the feature race to be the fourth rather than the third race on the card . That was and always has been an error as it means that on every day except the Thursday there is a drop off in quality for the third race on the card before the fourth .

In my view , the feature race should return to being the third - we would get that Big Bang of the Supreme, Arkle Champion again for a start . On the Friday that would allow the County Hurdle to return to its traditional spot as the last race on the card . I would shove the Martin Pipe up the card to follow the Gold Cup so everyone could have a drink or a cup of tea , then end Foxhunters, the Plate and the County Hurdle and move the Grand Annual to Thursdays card which has too many 2m 5f chases already.
    Last edited by Ardross; 21st March 2018 at 1:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Morning Assembly retired

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

moehat (21st March 2018), viking (21st March 2018)

Thanks
    Does anyone now what's happening with Satanic Beat? He moved to France but was then sold on and doesn't appear to be racing any more. We saw him at Jedd O'Keefs a few years ago and I've tried to follow him ever since. I do hope he's ok.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Can' see them ever running the CGC as last race on the card, There's normally fresh turf railed off for it, and the furore over the over the ground for the last race, this year, would be magnified tenfold.
    If they use fresh turf for it, what difference would it make if it was run as the last race? They would still have fresh turf surely?

Thanks
    The fresh turf used is then used in the Foxhunter and Grand Annual GG.

Thanks
    Grade A arse article from Bruce Millington in the RP whinging about people after timing re the dangerousness of the Grand Annual.

Clearly unfair nonsense - how many of the people being asked for a view had ever been asked before ? I recall quite a lot of complaint when the County was moved including about the GA being a rough race . Indeed, year on year it is a very rough race. I would quite like to ban novices from it for a start.

Thanks
    There is scarcely any difference on numbers of fallers, unseats etc between the ten years in which the Grand Annual has been the last race and the previous ten years when it wasn't.

Thanks
    Well said DG. All these people that are quick to point fingers and want radical change never seem to let the facts get in the way of the position or stance they take. We just get the same old reactionary nonsense.
    Last edited by Maruco; 23rd March 2018 at 8:27 AM.

Thanks
    Cheltenham is becoming more and more the be all and end all for NH racing- so it is unlikely that the GA will get less dangerous. As for the old reactionary nonsense - included amongst those who thought it might be the wrong choice and that the race was becoming rougher were the ancient pair of Nico de Boinville and Lizzie Kelly on Luck on Sunday .

If the jockeys riding in the race think it is becoming more dangerous and perhaps should be moved their views should be treated with respect.

Thanks
    You can't have that many fatalities in a race without being seen to do something.

Thanks
    Hansili

13. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

edgt (24th March 2018)

Thanks
    Waterlord of McCain’s today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    Waterlord of McCain’s today

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    Cheltenham is becoming more and more the be all and end all for NH racing- so it is unlikely that the GA will get less dangerous. As for the old reactionary nonsense - included amongst those who thought it might be the wrong choice and that the race was becoming rougher were the ancient pair of Nico de Boinville and Lizzie Kelly on Luck on Sunday .

If the jockeys riding in the race think it is becoming more dangerous and perhaps should be moved their views should be treated with respect.
    Thanks Ardross. I didn't see it, so on what basis were they suggesting the race needed to be moved? On what's suggested from your post de Boinville and Kelly think it's because it's the last race? But how do they suggest the race would be less rough if it were the first race of the day for example? Am I missing something here that everyone else is seeing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Thanks Ardross. I didn't see it, so on what basis were they suggesting the race needed to be moved? On what's suggested from your post de Boinville and Kelly think it's because it's the last race? But how do they suggest the race would be less rough if it were the first race of the day for example? Am I missing something here that everyone else is seeing?
    They both suggested that by the time of the GA which is of its nature a hectic race there were sometimes jockeys and trainers who were desperate for a winner and that risks were taken that might not be if the race was not the last chance saloon.

Thanks
    Allmyown of the Kirby’s up at Carlisle

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    They both suggested that by the time of the GA which is of its nature a hectic race there were sometimes jockeys and trainers who were desperate for a winner and that risks were taken that might not be if the race was not the last chance saloon.
    I know it's not necessarily your own opinion Ardross, and you 're posting up what was said, but surely the same would apply to the County Hurdle if it were run as the last race as has been suggested.

I'm not getting this at all. I see no logic. The issue was because of wet and damaged ground on the landing side of a fence, so surely the issue here is that the fence wasn't inspected properly, and if it had been it would have been dolled off. To be proposing changes to the race schedule seems ridiculous when the same races are going to be run and the same ground will be used irrespective of what order. What needs to be discussed are measures to ensure a proper inspection of the turf takes place.

Thanks
    Cue Card to be retired at the end of the season following one last run at Sandown in the Oaksey Chase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    Cue Card to be retired at the end of the season following one last run at Sandown in the Oaksey Chase
    Think that's a decent choice for him to bow out on and will almost certainly be in attendance now

Thanks
    Cool Dawn, Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, aged 30

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (27th March 2018)