Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish Champions' Weekend

Thanks

Irish Champions' Weekend

So I read that HRI are planning to have a Champions Weekend. Brian Kavanagh, chief executive of HRI, said:

“I am pleased that HRI has been able to create the inaugural Irish Champions Weekend in September 2014, taking place at Leopardstown on Saturday, September 13 followed by the Curragh on Sunday, September 14.

“It is planned that Irish Champions Weekend will host at least ten Group races, including up to five Group One contests, along with several valuable Premier Handicaps. These two meetings will be promoted and marketed jointly, with the ambition of attracting a major international audience to Ireland.

“Irish Champions Weekend also opens up the opportunity for a new, exciting Tri-Nation series of Autumn Championships linking the top three racing nations of Europe, starting with Ireland’s weekend, followed by the Arc weekend in France and culminating with the British Champions Weekend of racing in October.”
    Sounds good to me. I thought they should have done something mid-summer, but this is a good enough idea. Looks like it will be the week after the all-Ireland hurling final, which is for the best.

I am trying to work out what the races will be.

Group 1 races
    Matron Stakes
    Champion Stakes
    Moyglare Stakes
    St. Leger
    National Stakes

Group races
    Kiltiernan Stakes (1m2f Group 3)
    Blandford Stakes (Fillies and Mares 1m2f Group 2)
    Solonoway (1m Group 3)
    Tower Stakes (2yo 6f Group 3)
    Renaissance Stakes (6f Group 3)

Premier handicaps
    September Handicap (7f)
    Irish Stallion Farms EBF Handicap (1m6f)
    Autumn Fillies Handicap (1m4f)

Other races??? either
    Amateur Derby (1m4f)
    Breeders' Cup Juveline Trial Stakes (1m for 2yo, won by Battle of Marengo last year)

I think this is an excellent initiative. No matter what way you cut the above races, you would get a very interesting weekend of racing. I bang on about it quite a bit, but there is surely an argument to push a bit of money at the sprint (Renaissance) and try to get it marked up in grade to encourage Irish sprinters.

What are the thoughts?
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Are there any Group 1 sprints in Ireland? Seems a bit of a neglected division there.

Thanks
    It's a good idea, the only doubt being the impact on the Irish Champion. By putting the date back a week they are only three weeks from the Arc.

I hope they put some package together for visitors that includes transport to the tracks.

Thanks
    I'm due on my honeymoon on those dates next September
    I hear Ireland is nice that time of year darling.......:-) :-)

Thanks
    Doncaster and Ladbrokes unsurprisingly are furious .

I wonder whether HRI would like it if Royal Ascot was moved to clash with the Irish Derby - how did they get this past the European Pattern Committee?

Thanks
    I don't think they have just cause to be furious.

All of the races exist already. They are all being run at the Curragh or Leopardstown in early September already, so none of them will move by any more than 7 days.

Nowhere has it been mentioned that any special concessions are being given to the courses, such as upgrading any races that don't deserve it. So I don't see the effect on the Pattern at all.

To me it strikes me as a common sense move. They may consider losing the Kiltiernan to earlier in the summer given the Irish Champion is on that weekend, but other than that they just seem to be doing something with little impact, that can only help in making Irish racing easier to promote. They may still 4uck it up, but I think it will be good.

Doncaster have done very little to promote the St. Leger, which has been in decline for a long time now. The facilities there are absolutely horrible. Basically an aircraft hangar under the stands. I have little sympathy if they want to criticise other racecourses and do nothing material themselves other than having crap concerts after racing.

Tickets are expensive, the support races aren't nearly good enough to stretch it to four days, and they should also be looking at being responsible for the way the flat season starts with a whimper.
    Last edited by Bar the Bull; 2nd August 2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The St Leger is a non event, kind of like a better Chester Cup

This proposal makes sense, if they brought it back to beginning of September

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A great occasion for a GWID flat style.
    No Group 1 sprints in Ireland Euro.
    Since Phoenix Park closed and M50 scuppered Leopardstown sprint track the only suitable fast straight 5 and 6 furlong track is in Mallow (Cork), Point to Point country.
    The Curragh is too stiff for all bar Benbaun and J Fanshawe's aeroplane of 2011!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    The St Leger is a non event, kind of like a better Chester Cup

This proposal makes sense, if they brought it back to beginning of September
    The reason they cannot apparently is the all Ireland hurling final which is always on that Sunday .Bizarre and parochial but the reason all the same .

Thanks
    I think it makes sense to avoid a clash with a match that will tak away most of the potential paying punters and TV audience.

Thanks
    The St Leger is a great race and has much revived in recents years - Channel 4's appalling decision to only cover part of the meeting has mucked things up rather .

If Donny had any brains which i doubt they would seek to upgrade the Park Stakes to Group 1 and switch it back to a mile as moving the QEII has left a big almost three month gap between the G1 mile races in the UK.

Thanks
    If there was a sufficient product C4 would have shown it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar the Bull View Post
    If there was a sufficient product C4 would have shown it.
    Not at all - look at their decision to stop showing the Craven meeting which this year was absolutely crammed with Group 1 horses .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Who, apart from serious racing fans, is interested in the Craven? No-one. Channel 4 made the correct decision for themselves.
    Last edited by Hamm; 3rd August 2013 at 6:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
    Who, apart from serious racing fans, is interested in the Craven? No-one. Channel 4 made the correct decision for themselves.
    Who apart from racing fans is interested in Chester, York's may meeting etc ? That is as daft a posting by you for some considerable time - nice to see you haven't lost your touch

Banned
    Thanks
    Who apart from racing fans are interested in anything other than four or five events?

Donny might not be everyone's fav course but I went to the leger the first year of the new stand and it was rammed. Think it's been the same since so nit sure why they have to promote any more than they do

I like the race. Nothing wormg with a classy stayer in my book and i couldnt give a fck if the winner is worth sod all at stud. Breeders do not determine my enjoyment

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ardross, you don't seem to understand the commercial realities of something like the craven meeting. If you want to watch it,get RUK or stream online.

Thanks
    You seem to forget that when the Craven was last on TV bookies were not allowed to advertise on TV. I suspect that advertising revenue ought to make it a revenue neutral at worst decision to show it .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting point Aragorn.
    With Dubai sponsoring C4 and Craven meet the time Godolphin horses start running in England it should make sense to show it. Given the timing of Al Zarooni debacle this year they were probably glad it was not televised though !

Banned
    Thanks
    Glaxo could sponsor it I suppose