Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Frankel

Thanks
    It is more than ironic that Newmarket and the Racing for Change tossers are all patting themselves on the back about Frankel's racecourse gallop when if they had not destroyed the September Ascot meeting we would have seen him twice for real . The reason he has to gallop is that the QEII has been moved to the same day as Champions day . They would have been much better off moving the Joel like the other G2 races and the ratings of the winners would force its regrading to G1 .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    It is more than ironic that Newmarket and the Racing for Change tossers are all patting themselves on the back about Frankel's racecourse gallop when if they had not destroyed the September Ascot meeting we would have seen him twice for real . The reason he has to gallop is that the QEII has been moved to the same day as Champions day . They would have been much better off moving the Joel like the other G2 races and the ratings of the winners would force its regrading to G1 .
    Last edited by Gamla Stan; 30th September 2012 at 6:27 PM.
    I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.

Banned
    Thanks
    hmmm

Would frankel have really run twice and even then would they have dropped him back to a mile again? And would the somewhat downbeat champion stakes at Newmarket really have been the race he would have ended his career with?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clivex View Post
    hmmm

Would frankel have really run twice and even then would they have dropped him back to a mile again? And would the somewhat downbeat champion stakes at Newmarket really have been the race he would have ended his career with?

I prefer the champion stakes at Ascot tbh..the sprawling heath at Newmarket can supply some strange looking contests with horses all over the shop. Haafhd's win springs to mind

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Book an Ascot based taxi to collect you Nora as they are half the price of the airport ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    I prefer the champion stakes at Ascot tbh..the sprawling heath at Newmarket can supply some strange looking contests with horses all over the shop. Haafhd's win springs to mind
    The straight 10f Group 1 at Newmarket was a unique event. Been there twice for In The Groove 1990 and 2007 for the French winner who beat Eagle Mountain. New Approachs win in 2008 was a preview to Frankel showing what a thoroughbred could do on a straight track when the afterburners are turned on! I miss it even though I enjoyed Champions Day last year.
    Horses for courses I suppose

Thanks
    There were always 2 or 3 pubs from our town running coach trips to Newmarket for Champions Day, they didn't bother with Ascot last year and they aren't this year either.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    The straight 10f Group 1 at Newmarket was a unique event. Been there twice for In The Groove 1990 and 2007 for the French winner who beat Eagle Mountain. New Approachs win in 2008 was a preview to Frankel showing what a thoroughbred could do on a straight track when the afterburners are turned on! I miss it even though I enjoyed Champions Day last year.
    Horses for courses I suppose
    As you say the straight 10 furlongs made it a unique test. For that reason alone it should have remained. Ascot can cater for a larger audience, but Racing For (the sake of) Change is a bitter thing.
    5211-2211111-1111-121-1112-112-25

1-11112-11111-1111-22F-1U24-325

11-2113-11111-11111-PU

11-1211114-1111427

1111-11111-11111

Banned
    Thanks
    I know what you mean about the 10f test at Newmarket but i just can't do with them all over the track and draw biases trashing races like the guineas. Like i said..look at Haafhds win..what a mess of a race. I'm not a massive fan of Newmarket..i don't think draw biases over the shorter trips should be influencing classics

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    I know what you mean about the 10f test at Newmarket but i just can't do with them all over the track and draw biases trashing races like the guineas. Like i said..look at Haafhds win..what a mess of a race. I'm not a massive fan of Newmarket..i don't think draw biases over the shorter trips should be influencing classics
    I actually agree on this point. Despite the claim that there is negligible draw bias, there is a definite bias on extremes of going.
    5211-2211111-1111-121-1112-112-25

1-11112-11111-1111-22F-1U24-325

11-2113-11111-11111-PU

11-1211114-1111427

1111-11111-11111

Thanks
    I am pretty sure Frankel would have cantered round Ascot and then gone on to the Champion .

I still struggle to see why they had to wreck the rest of the end of the season to create Champions Day . Look at this weekend as a part of the swop of races we now have a 6f G3 and a listed 5f race within an hour or so of each other at Ascot .

Ascot should have kept the Royal Lodge and Fillies Mile and Newmarket could have had the Bengough and Cornwallis

Thanks
    I've got tickets for this year and I am very much looking forward to it. I think it's a good thing the UK has a proper end of the year championship to rival Arc day and the Breeders Cup.

It wouldn't surprise me if in ten years we're debating whether the Champion is the pre-eminent end of season championship event.
    I'm clever enough to ask the questions i'm too stupid to answer

Thanks
    Considering the shockingly poor field for the QEII this year - this is hardly an advert for moving that race .

Thanks
    it has been a strange year
    with a weak 3yo crop and with Frankel at the beginning of the season in the division

Banned
    Thanks
    I agree with Aragon. One thing that is forgotten is that the sense of occasion appeals to owners and trainers every bit as much as black type. They are in the game for a buzz as much as the balance sheet

You wlll get that at Ascot in a way that Newmarket can never deliver (and i like Newmarket). However much some moan about the course here, it has a cache like no other

Thanks
    On balance, I think the changes to the end of the UK season are positive.
    Welsh and Proud.

Thanks
    And it has to be a balanced view; I sympathise with some of the arguments against but from a top down perspective this was a good decision in my book and like them or not the Ascot PR machine ensures a good crowd and a sense of occasion.

Having been to Arc day I'll be interested to see how Champions day matches up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    And it has to be a balanced view; I sympathise with some of the arguments against but from a top down perspective this was a good decision in my book and like them or not the Ascot PR machine ensures a good crowd and a sense of occasion.

Having been to Arc day I'll be interested to see how Champions day matches up.
    I'm struggling to understand why, in this instance, a top down perspective would be different from a bottom up perspective. Or indeed a side-on view. In fact, I'm having difficulty seeing who is at the top of this imaginary perspective and who is at the bottom in order to visualise how things would be different and why one type of view should be more important than the other.

As long as the decision proves itself over time to be dolphin friendly then I approve.

Thanks
    Because the view that takes all factors into consideration is more balanced than that of one or a collection of individuals with similar motivations.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Because the view that takes all factors into consideration is more balanced than that of one or a collection of individuals with similar motivations.
    So a top down view isn't a top down view at all - it's a balanced view? That makes much more sense.