Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guineas

Thanks

Guineas

Interesting news coming out of Ballydoyle re Opera Singer meeting a setback. I'm happy enough with this as I took 10s about Fallen Angel after the Moyglare but honestly half mentally wrote the bet off after the Marcel Boussac so impressive was the aforementioned O'Brien filly. This setback opens the race up which can't be a bad thing as City of Troy looks impregnable in the 2000.

Feels good to be thinking about the Flat again. Really looking forward to the upcoming season.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Eleanora Duse (21st March 2024), reet hard (20th March 2024)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The flat season starts to get underway today with the Brocklesby a race result mostly best forgotten.

Mick Lambert won it 20 odd years ago with Our Dynasty 5/2 ridden by Pat Eddery.

I will never forget what Tony PA Charlton who was riding for Mick at the time said to me when word got out the owner was offered 250,000 pounds after Or Dynasty won for the 3rd time

Our Dynasty was AP favourite for the Coventry and Tony said to me "there were 2 fools the one that offered the money and the one that never took it"

Of course he was spot on Our Dyanasty was destroyed by Chief Singer at Ascot and faded into oblivion.

Ever since I have made a point of laying the winner the next couple of times they run Last year it was Doddie's Impact who I laid to be out of the first 3 he went off at 2/1 and was never mentioned.

The year before I laid Persian Force in the Coventry and he was beaten into 2nd The year before that it was won by Chipotle. Got my fingers burned when he won a 4 horse race but laid him next time to recoup losses.

This year I am told Ettorino is expected to go close so I am laying the favourite at 2/1. If the fav does win I'll catch him later because very few ever get far after this race

Best bet on the card Orazio who is sure to be ready for this
    Formely Fist of Fury

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (23rd March 2024)

Thanks
    You had a lucky escape with Persian Force -he was different class to most Brocklesby winners.Dawn Approach won the first 2yo race of the season in Ireland back in the day and he was an incredible racehorse.
    Chief Singer -there's a blast from the past-won St JamesPalace,July Cup and Sussex Stakes before a defeat in Benson & Hedges -cannot think of any other horse who has attempted to run in all those races.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've done DEVILS POINT. 66/1 boosted to 75.53/1 for the 2000 guineas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Chief Singer -there's a blast from the past-won St JamesPalace,July Cup and Sussex Stakes before a defeat in Benson & Hedges -cannot think of any other horse who has attempted to run in all those races.
    And won the Coventry first time out.

Thanks
    Chief Singer is the horse that changed the nature of my appreciation of racing. In short I stopped thinking of horses as a betting medium and began to really appreciate the nature and ability of individual horses. My emotional connection to this magnificent horse was somewhat unusual. In early 1984 I had put together a Government guaranteed financing that won a substantial overseas contract for Jeff Smith's company , a process made much easier (and enjoyable) by the positive attitude of his employees. At a garden party held by one of the Directors I was told that they really fancied Chief Singer to beat El Gran Seņor in the 2000 Guineas.

I got 28/1 ew for what was a very substantial sum for me at the time. I think a large number of my work colleagues were also on the horse, certainly several complained that he hadn't won! Anyway we went to all his races after that with the July Cup being the most memorable. When the pedal went down he flew!

Whilst I know that the favourite for this year's 2000gns is something very special, I think that Ghostwriter has amazing acceleration. I've won a fair bit backing him already and have reinvested a chunk those of winnings ew.
    Last edited by Tout Seul; 4th April 2024 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (4th April 2024), edgt (5th April 2024)

Thanks
    The First 4 in that Guinea's were all genuine Group 1 horses.El Gran Senor was my favourite racehorse at the time but for versatility you have got to admire Chief Singer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was a fabulous specimen of a horse also, but a freak whose star shone for a short while.
    Only realised when I checked now his grand dam was Pia, Epsom Oaks winner.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just had a look at this horse of Aiden O'Briens for the first time. Didn't really pay much attention last year.

Like most of us I have seen some special horses in my time and this City of Troy more than fits the bill.

This is the biggest stand out I have seen since Frankel I was gobsmacked the way he quickened up the hill in the Dewhurst.

Every year Aiden tells us this is the best we have ever had and I just shake my head and say yeah right keep selling the product.

But this time he doesn't need to say anything this horse will win the Guineas and the Derby no question about it.

Granted it's reflected in his price but he is backable on the machine.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've been backing City of Troy every time I get ahead and not for small money.

But I am concerned are the prices too good to be true. is there something afoot that Aiden isn't telling

Generally 4/6 with most bookmakers I've been backing him at 20/21 to 10/11 which is a huge difference all things considered.

The way Aiden is talking this horse should be 2/5 so it does look too good to be true and you know what they say about that.,
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

But I am concerned are the prices too good to be true. is there something afoot that Aiden isn't telling

Generally 4/6 with most bookmakers I've been backing him at 20/21 to 10/11 which is a huge difference all things considered.

The way Aiden is talking this horse should be 2/5 so it does look too good to be true and you know what they say about that.,
    There's a big difference between 10/11 in January and 10/11 in April given the chance for a setback is constantly diminishing. I'm surprised that the price on the exchanges hasn't contracted; effectively he's very weak in the betting although the odds haven't lengthened. Liquidity on betfair is very low so it would appear that the bigger players are waiting to see if anything emerges from the trials and/or if Aidan provides an update.

Thanks
    Never understood the shortening of Dance Sequence before the Nell Gwyn. Charlie isn't as good with fillies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    I thought she looked as though she’d come on a fair bit for the race and wasn’t fully wound up. Plus she was green and looking about final furlong. I’m hoping she’ll improve a lot (she may need to as today’s race wasn’t the strongest) come first weekend in May and certainly Charlie didn’t seem downcast by the run at all.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts

You won't get a sniff of 4/6 if Eben Shaddad wins the Craven (very likely,imo).
    Last edited by reet hard; 17th April 2024 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how they view the Craven looks like a below par renewal to me,
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Depends on how they view the Craven looks like a below par renewal to me,
    Like City Of Tr0y,he'll improve on this better ground.

Thanks
    Some pretty unfit horses on view at Newmarket this week. And noticeable how that strip of ground two thirds of the way across produced most of the winners and virtually all were on the front end.
    The Craven in particular highlighted this although Native Approach pulled like a train and set the French horse off who were both on the wrong side anyway.
    Last edited by jinnyj; Yesterday at 4:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    And noticeable how that strip of ground two thirds of the way across produced most of the winners and virtually all were on the front end.
    Similar thing happened in the Guineas meeting a couple of years back, not so much the front end thing, wasn't a boffo tailwind, but the advantage of being far side(ish). I'll be going over the 3yo handicaps with a fine tooth comb early next week and I expect a lot of trackers will come from the meeting.

Thanks
    Yeah I’ve been busy putting them in mine already. Second and third from Woodditton especially.

Thanks
    Personally I got as big a buzz out of City of Troy winning at the July course as I did out of any other 2yo winner over the last 30years.They campaigned him like they believed he was a great horse.On form and potential I could make a case for him being 2/7.Against that in the 40plus years that I have been following the sport it seems to be the default position is for Ballydoyle to have the winter favourite for the 2000 and plenty of them get beaten.
    So why is he the price that he is -have the Boys consciously not backed him knowing how much is at stake with breeding,has his work not been great or has he not trained on.You have to pay to find out.I would love to see him being one of the greats but I think I will keep my hands in my pocket.
    Last edited by LUKE; Today at 2:02 PM.